Gas smell

Goldenhawk

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0918/dominion-lng-maintenance-may-cause-strong-harmless-odor.html

...During the Sept. 22 weekend, the flaring process temporarily produced a strong, harmless odor usually associated with natural gas that has been odorized to aid in leak detection and repair. Maintenance activities during this outage, which is scheduled to last about three weeks, may cause the odor to briefly occur at times. Dominion Energy Cove Point regrets the inconvenience...

Cruiserchick

That certainly explains the return of the buses! We live in Brians Wood, off of Little Cove Point Rd. The noise from Dominion kept us from sleeping for 12nights in August. We have tried all sorts of ear plus but they don’t work for the low rumbling freight train sound. We complain each time to the commissioners and they always say they will look into it. This has been going on since February! It’s been quiet the last week while they are doing maintenance. Worried how loud it will be when the trees lose their leaves. I don’t know what we can do with a house you can’t sleep in and forget opening windows or enjoying your yard!

Guess those of us living with this don’t matter. They have not forgotten to send us our real estate tax bills, which have not gone down, unlike our property values!

Bonehead

It must truly suck to be uncomfortable in your own home. Dominion should have relocated everyone in the area at no cost.

black dog

Free America
I know all that history..I even remember a school field trip to Calvert Cliffs back when you could collect all the fossils you wanted to..and we gazed upon the beginning construction of the nuke plant. My company looked at buying the support facilities for the LNG terminal back around the early 90s..son worked on the upgrades to the Cove Point docks back more than 10 years ago...and so on

When Piney Point terminal was really rocking, the sound of very large diesel engines reverberated around the hood day and night. I call that the "sound of commerce" and have no issues with it. We need..and are soon getting...more LNG and other petroleum export facilities. I'm hoping they can do something like that with the Piney Point terminal.

Are there any old storage depots like Stewart that have been converted in the world? I wonder how difficult it would be to convert the floating roof tanks to hold natural gas?

softtouch

That certainly explains the return of the buses! We live in Brians Wood, off of Little Cove Point Rd. The noise from Dominion kept us from sleeping for 12nights in August. We have tried all sorts of ear plus but they don’t work for the low rumbling freight train sound. We complain each time to the commissioners and they always say they will look into it. This has been going on since February! It’s been quiet the last week while they are doing maintenance. Worried how loud it will be when the trees lose their leaves. I don’t know what we can do with a house you can’t sleep in and forget opening windows or enjoying your yard!

Guess those of us living with this don’t matter. They have not forgotten to send us our real estate tax bills, which have not gone down, unlike our property values!
There is a noise cancelling technology that generates a second noise and the two cancel each other out. I wonder if this is available on an industrial scale? Maybe Dominion can cancel it's own noise.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Are there any old storage depots like Stewart that have been converted in the world? I wonder how difficult it would be to convert the floating roof tanks to hold natural gas?

I'm not aware of any examples of NG storage on that scale...it's either compressed or compressed and liquified. Mostly the latter.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
There is a noise cancelling technology that generates a second noise and the two cancel each other out. I wonder if this is available on an industrial scale? Maybe Dominion can cancel it's own noise.

We did some work with that technology and as far as I know there's still too many hurdles to achieving wide-area 3D noise cancellation. Point location cancellation and 2d solutions, like cancelling noise in air ducting for example, are as far as they've gotten with that.

Cruiserchick

I will be glad when this thread is not the leading one in the Activity Stream. :geek:

We will also be very happy when we can have a night’s sleep and use our yard. It’s up to Dominion to fix this! There was the low rumbling noise again last night. We were told the operating noise would be contained in the Dominion footprint. This, apparently was a lie.

littlelady

God bless the USA
We will also be very happy when we can have a night’s sleep and use our yard. It’s up to Dominion to fix this! There was the low rumbling noise again last night. We were told the operating noise would be contained in the Dominion footprint. This, apparently was a lie.

I understand your complaint, but we all have aggravations in our lives. I hope your’s gets resolved. Moved out of Calvert 2 years ago. Wish you the best. :smile:

General Lee

I'm sorry, i passed gas and sharted a lil' bit.