General flower question(s)

SxyPrincess

My backyard is completely bare...aside from some lawn furniture.  Does anyone have ideas on good flowers to plant along my stone walk-way?  I would like something colorful that will not attract bees and wasps.  Butterflies are ok!!!  :)

Maybe something that does not require too much attention!  Any suggestions????

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
One of my favorites is dianthus - it doesn't grow very big (6 - 8 inches), is very hardy, and blooms continously.  I've never seen wasps or bees near them like some of my other flowers.  There are varieties that are annuals and perennials - I have some that I bought from Wal-Mart five years ago that were supposed to be annuals and they're still going!

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Different kinds of butterfly bushes are ok, but I think you want something small. This will depend a lot on what kind of light is back there.

If it's bright, I tend to favor marigolds, and you can get all kinds. Most bugs hate the smell, although most humans can't smell them at all. They tend to be great flowers for parts of gardens subject to pests. If it's shady, different kinds of shade plants, like lilies of the valley or impatiens.

But I might consider, for your lawn, different kinds of non-flowering plants, like hostas, caladium (well they DO flower, but not for long) or other ornamental grasses or ground cover, like alyssum.

SxyPrincess

Thanks for the suggestions!  I was thinking about some non-flowering plants along the fenceline and also, my front porch.  Anyone know where I can buy a plant that blooms Coronas???  :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Another great plant is coleus - it is grown mainly for the beautiful colors in its foliage, but it does get flowers on the top.  You can just pinch these off - it makes the plants bushier.  Coleus comes in a wide variety of colors and shapes and are pretty indestructible.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
On my porch I like to use bug-repellent plants, like citronella (mosquito plant) and lemon grass. And I put up shade loving plants like ivies, asparagus ferns and potato vines. They look nice, and bugs could care less about them (although *birds* seem to like them).

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
StarBuck on 12:37 pm on May 3, 2002[br]

Some other relaiable perenials that would go well with these would be moonbeam coreopsis and Autumn Sedum Joy.

I have moonbean coreopsis and it grows beautifully - just be aware it runs and can overtake beds.  One problem I do have with it is that my cats like to lie in it and that squashes it down.  Any ideas for keeping them out of there?  I've tried mothballs, but I didn't like the stench or the fact that they are toxic.  I am (or try very hard to be) an organic gardener and prefer some method that is environmentally friendly!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
jazz lady on 1:28 pm on May 3, 2002[br]One problem I do have with it is that my cats like to lie in it and that squashes it down.  Any ideas for keeping them out of there?  

Get a dog! (j/k) :)  How about rubber snakes?  Try some of these methods--
http://www.bugspray.com/articles98/cats.html

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Sharon on 2:16 pm on May 3, 2002[br]
Get a dog! (j/k) :)  How about rubber snakes?  Try some of these methods--
http://www.bugspray.com/articles98/cats.html
Actually, I have 2 dogs and neither one is inclined to help save my coreopsis.  :(   And the cats kill snakes when they find them, so I don't think rubber snakes will have the desired effect.

Thanks for the link - I've tried several of their methods before (Ropel granules, scat mats, etc.) but they always defeat them.  I like the motion-activated water sprayer - they all HATE to be squirted from the hose, which I do everytime I find them in my flower beds.  Maybe I'll give that a shot (pun intended!).

(Edited by jazz lady at 1:24 pm on May 7, 2002)

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Princess,

Always consider the sun in the spot you are planting.

AM sun, PM shade?
PM sun, AM shade?
Full sun?
Full shade?

Go from there!