General View of Islam in America?

ThayerP

As a closing thought today before going home for the weekend, I wanted to see if people would provide their thoughts on Islam as a religion and way of life and what they think of it.

Is it good or bad?

Is it restrictive or protective?

Is it Satanic or Misunderstood?

I just want to get an idea of the sentiments that are felt by Americans about Islam.

Thanks and I'll check the responses on Monday.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I feel it's like any religion taken to an extreme. Radical Islam is about the same as Christianity was during the Crusades. Anytime you use religion to justify exterminating anyone who doesn't share you're religion is bad.

And yes, I realize not ALL Muslims are radical, I imagine the radical is in the minority, unfortunately there are STILL too many radical Muslims for my comfort.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The only time I care about someone's religion is when they make it my business. It would stand to reason, if Muslims are supposed to be so violent and vicious, that they wouldn't have oppressors like these Arab dictators. Wouldn't they be suicide bombing the Mullahs? I will suggest that Muslim is a peaceful religion and most Muslims subscribe to that. It's the crazy dictators and power-mad Kings that take advantage of this.

Just a random thought...

willie

The religion itself is not extreme. They believe that Jesus was one of several Prophets preceding Mohammad but the problem starts with Mohammad. If you didn't go along with his beliefs then it's war. The Messengers that followed Mohammad were worse. How about the hundreds of Muslims, after Saddam's downfall, that celebrated by whacking themselves in the head with knives? When they protest anything or especially the US, the chant is death, death. What is the favorite religion for convicts? Islam. My feeling is that the middle eastern people have a basic leaning toward violence and other violent people (convicts) follow along like sheep. They could have chosen any religion at the time and interpreted to suit their basic warlike culture. If they had based their beliefs on the Old Testament then they could justify some real nasty stuff.

Last edited:
K

Kain99

They scare the Holy, (you know what) out of me! I'm sick and tired of hearing about how peaceful the religion is. That is total propoganda! They are blood thirsty genocide mongers. JMHO :frown:

ThayerP

Interesting comments.

What about the Muslims in the US. How do you feel about them?

Not Nation of Islam. The real Muslims laugh at them. They are not considered real Muslims. They are not even allowed to go to Saudi for the pilgrimages.

Do you feel that the Muslims in the US are a threat to national security or the security of the general population?

Last edited:
K

Kain99

I think that this question has already been answered.

9/11/2002

ThayerP

Originally posted by Kain99
I think that this question has already been answered.

9/11/2002
On that assumption we could also say that Chrisitanity is also a threat to national security because Timothy McVeigh blew up the Murrah bldg in OK City. Right? It was a group of radical, semi-christian people that did that.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by ThayerP
On that assumption we could also say that Chrisitanity is also a threat to national security because Timothy McVeigh blew up the Murrah bldg in OK City. Right? It was a group of radical, semi-christian people that did that.

Was the action completed in the name of Christianity? Were people killed in the name of God? Was Mcveigh's action in anyway connected to his Christian belief system? :confused:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was unaware that McVeigh was even a Christian so to compare the two is absurd. Thayer, you can do better than that. Why not just tell Kain that smart people don't judge a whole religion or ethnic group based on the actions of a few?

K

Kain99

Luckily, I live in America. I won't be tortured or murdered because I do not hold the same opinion as others.

You say Tomatoe I say Tomatoe....

You also live in America and can believe anything you want.

The last few forum wars on this subject have upset people that I care about.

I will never change the way that I think on the subject and neither will any of you.

I just say we call it a draw. :wink:

ThayerP

Was the action completed in the name of Christianity? Were people killed in the name of God? Was Mcveigh's action in anyway connected to his Christian belief system? :confused:
McVeigh was a Catholic to be exact.

http://www.cnn.com/2001/LAW/06/11/mcveigh.03/index.html

The Hijackers were not practising Islam closely either. They reportedly had been out drinking at a strip club a day or so before the hijacking.

It may not be a clear cut comparison but is close.

ThayerP

Luckily, I live in America. I won't be tortured or murdered because I do not hold the same opinion as others.

You say Tomatoe I say Tomatoe....

You also live in America and can believe anything you want.

The last few forum wars on this subject have upset people that I care about.

I will never change the way that I think on the subject and neither will any of you.

I just say we call it a draw. :wink:

O.K. I guess so.

K

Kain99

On April 19th, 1995, a fertilizer bomb blew up the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. By the time the dust settled, 168 people -- 19 of them children -- were dead.

Within weeks, a decorated veteran of the Gulf War named Timothy McVeigh had been arrested. After being convicted of the act, he defiantly justified it as retaliation for the U.S. government's actions at Waco and Ruby Ridge. In a famously chilling quote, he described the deaths of all those women and children as "collateral damage".

If memory serves me correctly... the bombing occured on the anniversary of Waco. :wink:

ThayerP

On April 19th, 1995, a fertilizer bomb blew up the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. By the time the dust settled, 168 people -- 19 of them children -- were dead.

Within weeks, a decorated veteran of the Gulf War named Timothy McVeigh had been arrested. After being convicted of the act, he defiantly justified it as retaliation for the U.S. government's actions at Waco and Ruby Ridge. In a famously chilling quote, he described the deaths of all those women and children as "collateral damage".

If memory serves me correctly... the bombing occured on the anniversary of Waco. :wink:

Yes, and of course we all know that neither of those were religously connected in any manner. :rolleyes:

Let's just drop this like you suggested before.

Surf City Baby

Originally posted by ThayerP
As a closing thought today before going home for the weekend, I wanted to see if people would provide their thoughts on Islam as a religion and way of life and what they think of it. . . . I just want to get an idea of the sentiments that are felt by Americans about Islam.

Looks like the thread's largely petered out but I tho't I'd add my response anyway.

I remember very clearly believing that Islam, like every religion without the Trinity (God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit) at its core, was a cult. A tool of Satan to draw people away from the One True God.

It's been more than ten years since I discarded such closed-minded, black & white thinking. I changed, and my beliefs changed.

Today, I believe Islam is another of the world's religions. Nothing more nor less. It's a faith some people use for enlightenment, for daily guidance, for spiritual growth, and for a sense of security after death.

When Muslims take their beliefs to the extreme, they can wind up hurting people. Just as when Christians take their beliefs to the extreme, they can wind up hurting people. The same example can be applied to just about any religion, I suppose.

There's nothing inherently evil, harmful, or anti-American (as if that were the worst evil in the world) about Islam.

willie

Re: Re: General View of Islam in America?

Originally posted by Surf City Baby

When Muslims take their beliefs to the extreme, they can wind up hurting people. Just as when Christians take their beliefs to the extreme, they can wind up hurting people. The same example can be applied to just about any religion, I suppose.

There's nothing inherently evil, harmful, or anti-American (as if that were the worst evil in the world) about Islam.
The muslims are winning the 'extreme' contest, by far.

Surf City Baby

Re: Re: Re: General View of Islam in America?

Originally posted by willie
The muslims are winning the 'extreme' contest, by far.

Hmm... extremist Muslims, I'd say.

The murderers behind 9/11 are to Islam what Fred Phelps is to Christianity. Both spread lies about the will of their gods. Both take hatred from their ancient scriptures* (that is, whatever can be taken as hatred by a twisted mind) and apply it by force to humanity of the 21st century.

Both drive potential adherants to Islam & Christianity away from those belief systems.

* I don't know the Koran, but I do know the Bible fairly well. IMO applying the Bible literally to life in the 21st century is not unlike applying what was known of astronomy six centuries ago as fact to astronomy today: the earth is the center of the universe, for starters....

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by willie
Are you saying there are as many extreme Christians as there are extreme Muslims?

Of course! Those darned Christians and their push for prayer in schools! :yikes: Very dangerous folks they are! :wink:

And before I get yelled at, yes I'm aware of the "Crusades, Salem Witch trials" etc. etc. We've just evolved as a society and condemn that bit of extremism, to the extent that Christian nutties don't have the financial or spiritual backing of our leadership. Can't say the same for the Allah nutties.