Genesis 19 Every man and boy surrounded the house

seekeroftruth

Genesis 19:3 But he insisted so strongly that they did go with him and entered his house. He prepared a meal for them, baking bread without yeast, and they ate. 4 Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom—both young and old—surrounded the house. 5 They called to Lot, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.”​

I'm not going to sugar coat this. Sodom was full of deviates. It says "all the men from every part of the city of Sodom - both young and old". It says "Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."

This came from bible.org.

Moses attempts to emphasize that every man and boy in Sodom is dangerous and wicked. This seems over the top. After all, most little boys do not practice homosexual rape. How was the perversion so widespread? We may not like the answer. Evidently, the older men discipled the children in sexual deviance. Undoubtedly, there was sexual abuse in the home that caused the little boys to respond like they did​

This comes from bible-commentaries.com.

Vs.4-9 describe one of the most disgusting scenes in the Bible. Some liberal Christians have tried to down-play the fact that there is a strong condemnation of homosexual behavior in this portion of Scripture. It is true that the scene portrays also gang-rape and other forms of violence, but to deny that homosexual practice is condemned violates the principles of biblical interpretation. God warns the Israelites not to commit the sins that must have been common practice among the Canaanites at that time. It groups homosexual practice with intercourse with animals. We read: "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable."[ 1 ] And Paul says: "In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."[ 2 ]

The story of Sodom shatters the myth that homosexual tendencies are inborn, so that the person who finds himself to be so orientated can not really be held responsible for it. The fact that the whole male population turns out for this event makes such a theory hardly plausible. Homosexuality is a perversion. If we say that God invented human sexuality, we can conclude that homosexuality comes from the devil. I firmly believe that there is a strong demonic influence behind it.

It is also obvious that the effort of the men of Sodom to engage in this gang-rape seals their doom. The Lord now has the proof He has been looking for. This sounds like something redundant because God does not need proofs like these, but the proofs justify God's actions before men and angels and prove His righteousness.​

The blueletterbible.org site adds this to the commentary.

These citizens of Sodom clearly came to homosexually abuse and rape these two visitors. That is a shocking demonstration of depravity,​

Finally, this is from the easy English commentary.

Lot almost pushed the visitors into his house! He fed them well.
Lot was kind to his visitors. But the men in Sodom were very cruel. They tried to force Lot’s visitors to have sex with them.

I left out the commentary that got into gay bashing. I also left out commentary on what is going to happen next in the chapter.

:coffee:

Last edited:

TheLibertonian

You'd think one guy in the city other then Lot would have been, I dunno, busy? Like "Oh hey I'd love to get in on that but I'm in the middle of baking and I can't let it alone.".

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
My problem has always been - here you go, rape my daughters instead. That's perfectly acceptable.

seekeroftruth

My problem has always been - here you go, rape my daughters instead. That's perfectly acceptable.

I had a problem with it too... until I started to look at it in a "not so politically correct" light.

I think the author was trying to show us that the major sin was homosexuality and the molestation of young boys.

For that matter it also shows how women and children were of little value.

:coffee: