George Tenet says Iraq war was wrong

Pete

Repete
jlabsher said:

He did add that he doesn't think the Iraq war was wholly bad.

"When I look at the regime (Saddam Hussein) ran, and the elaborate depth he took to deny us the ability to build our intelligence, I can't say it was a waste," Tenet said. "I believed he had weapons of mass destruction. He didn't. At the end of the day I have to stand up accountable for that. In the meantime our nation needs to honor the commitment we made in Iraq."

ylexot

Super Genius
Oh, and BTW, your "Also here" Google link just gives a bunch of articles that all report the single Herald-Palladium source. They are not reporting that Tenent said that, they are reporting that a reporter said that Tenent said that. Not very good journalism if you ask me.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
jlabsher said:

Yes, he said it was wrong based on the intelligence, which he then faults his CIA for.

Although he emphasized that the Central Intelligence Agency boasts "tremendously talented men and women," former CIA Director George Tenet said it "did not live up to our expectations as professionals" regarding the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and the search for nonexistent weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

"We had inconsistent information, and we did not inform others in the community of gaps in our intelligence," Tenet said. "The extraordinary men and women who do magnificent work in the CIA are held accountable every day for what they do, and as part of keeping our faith with the American people, we will tell you when we're right or wrong."

Also, where is the rest of the quote? The reporter just says George Tenet said it was wrong. It doesn't say what he was actually asked or what the rest of the response was.