Gerd

BlueBird

My GERD is getting very bad and I'm pretty sure I almost died last night. I woke up literally gasping for air and it took me a awhile to be able to breathe, I was very scared. This has happened before but never to this extent! I was drowning on stomach acid.

Yep, I know the rules, no eating too close to bed time, take my Prilosec daily, no acidic foods or beer too late in the day and always wear my CPAP machine. I broke all of them yesterday. I had Spaghetti for dinner, ate a tub of buttered popcorn before bed and no I didn't take my Prilosec or wear the mask and it almost killed me. I believe GERD is much more serious than people realize and if you have it too I would like to hear your story. I'm happy I woke this morning and I was scared to fall back asleep last night.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Nexium. One little purple pill every morning and BOOM - all gone.

(Not the blue pill, now, that's for something else.)

Lilypad

My GERD is getting very bad and I'm pretty sure I almost died last night. I woke up literally gasping for air and it took me a awhile to be able to breathe, I was very scared. This has happened before but never to this extent! I was drowning on stomach acid.

Yep, I know the rules, no eating too close to bed time, take my Prilosec daily, no acidic foods or beer too late in the day and always wear my CPAP machine. I broke all of them yesterday. I had Spaghetti for dinner, ate a tub of buttered popcorn before bed and no I didn't take my Prilosec or wear the mask and it almost killed me. I believe GERD is much more serious than people realize and if you have it too I would like to hear your story. I'm happy I woke this morning and I was scared to fall back asleep last night.

Why do you torture yourself like that? WTH...:strangle:
BTW, do you still have your gallbladder?
Get rid of the "purple crack" and get a script for 300mg. Zantac until you can get a grip on this...you are totally screwing up your esophagus, your teeth (if you have any) and you know GERD lowers the quality of your life.

littlelady

God bless the USA

You are such a hoot that I never can tell if you are being serious, or not. If you are serious, I hope you do what you are supposed to and feel better soon.

My first thought after reading your post was, perhaps, you are listening to/reading too much liberal msm propaganda. That will make anyone have reflux, and vomit, too. :huggy:

hotbikermama40

I just recently started having problems with that - thought it was a heart attack the first time! Vrai had suggested the little purple pill in another thread and I started taking that. But I still had some problems regardless.

A friend of mine who suffers from Gerd told me to try a tbsp of raw apple cider vinegar every morning. So I started doing that, I put it, and some raw organic honey in hot water, let it steep & cool, then sip til gone.

Voila! No problem with Gerd since! There are other health bennies that come with it. And surprisingly, it's not horrible in terms of taste at all!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A friend of mine who suffers from Gerd told me to try a tbsp of raw apple cider vinegar every morning. So I started doing that, I put it, and some raw organic honey in hot water, let it steep & cool, then sip til gone.

Voila! No problem with Gerd since! There are other health bennies that come with it. And surprisingly, it's not horrible in terms of taste at all!

I tried that and it made it worse. :lol: So I'm guessing the correct answer is "consult your gastroenterologist" (because doesn't everybody have one of those?). I can't drink alcohol anymore without paying for it, not even one beer, which is a shame because I love to find cute pubs in our travels and my most favorite thing of all is to sit at a beach bar drinking a frozen margarita. Occasionally it's worth the stomach upset, though.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I tried that and it made it worse. :lol: So I'm guessing the correct answer is "consult your gastroenterologist" (because doesn't everybody have one of those?). I can't drink alcohol anymore without paying for it, not even one beer, which is a shame because I love to find cute pubs in our travels and my most favorite thing of all is to sit at a beach bar drinking a frozen margarita. Occasionally it's worth the stomach upset, though.

I am glad I do not have that problem.

Budlight would go out of business.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
off the cuff. i've suffered for a long time, Tuns every where i went. In the car.. the office.. the kitchen..

Went on a low carb (basically gluten free as well) and i no longer needed Tums as well..

worth a shot, you'll notice a difference in just a day or two.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
off the cuff. i've suffered for a long time, Tuns every where i went. In the car.. the office.. the kitchen..

Went on a low carb (basically gluten free as well) and i no longer needed Tums as well..

worth a shot, you'll notice a difference in just a day or two.

At the risk of sounding like a "me too!" fad person, I also find that getting wheat out of my diet helps. Sorry, wheat growers!

hotbikermama40

What do you mean "occasionally"? :whistle:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
At the risk of sounding like a "me too!" fad person, I also find that getting wheat out of my diet helps. Sorry, wheat growers!

I suffered from GERD. Diet definitely plays a huge role. I carried antacids with me religiously. Mine all but disappeared when I decided to try the Adkins diet, which lasted for about 2 months. Since then I've limited my carb intake and given up beer completely.

BlueBird

I ate a double cheeseburger for dinner with a side of french fries. BIG MISTAKE! My GERD is just terrible these days. My doctor prescribed me Prilosec but it's giving me man boobs and at my age they'll never go away. I think it's time to change my diet.

PeoplesElbow

I ate a double cheeseburger for dinner with a side of french fries. BIG MISTAKE! My GERD is just terrible these days. My doctor prescribed me Prilosec but it's giving me man boobs and at my age they'll never go away. I think it's time to change my diet.
Didn't realize that was a side effect, you sure it's not Twinkies doing it?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

And you don't think the moobs might be a result of excessive weed consumption or the alien probe?

Hessian

Gifted at Christmas,....thought 'well, I'll give it a shot.' And after three weeks, only one disrupted night. No Gerd, no bloating...just 3-4 sips a day.

GopherM

Darwin was right
Most OTC remedies like Prevacid and Prilosec are only about half the prescription strength. You need a prescription. Sleeping on your left side puts the opening to your stomach higher and helps contain the reflux to some extent. Even taking the drugs, I still occasionally have problems. If you have a bad attack, get upright by sitting or standing until the worst is over. Alcohol, chocolate, and some other foods will aggravate the reflux and relax the sphincter at the opening to the stomach.