German Lugers

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
I have mentioned here, on this site, that I own one - a 1938 model S/42, with a 4" barrel, serial numbers all match, with the exception of the clip/magazine.

Does anyone else own one?

Any complaints/raves about it?

What are your thoughts about trading for one?

Hessian

I'll swap...

if you are interested in a Swedish 6.5mm sniper rifle with steel jacket rounds from 1905.:buddies:

Last edited:

Gwydion

I have mentioned here, on this site, that I own one - a 1938 model S/42, with a 4" barrel, serial numbers all match, with the exception of the clip/magazine.

Does anyone else own one?

Any complaints/raves about it?

What are your thoughts about trading for one?

My father owns one. His father (my grandfather) got it in battle during WW2 and when he passed away it went to my father. I don't know the absolute information about it, but my father does.

It is still in the original leather casing. It has some engravings on it, apparently they were used to distinguish something about the german who carried it. Even during the final months of my grandfathers life, he kept it loaded in the drawer next to his chair. I was always waiting to hear the story when some some jackass broke into his house with a knife.

He also has a phillipino sniper rifle. We fired both of them about 5 years back, still in immaculate condition.

And I know you aren't asking, but these two guns will never leave my family.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
My father owns one. His father (my grandfather) got it in battle during WW2 and when he passed away it went to my father. I don't know the absolute information about it, but my father does.

It is still in the original leather casing. It has some engravings on it, apparently they were used to distinguish something about the german who carried it. Even during the final months of my grandfathers life, he kept it loaded in the drawer next to his chair. I was always waiting to hear the story when some some jackass broke into his house with a knife.

He also has a phillipino sniper rifle. We fired both of them about 5 years back, still in immaculate condition.

And I know you aren't asking, but these two guns will never leave my family.

I think I'm sensing the same thoughts(that you are) that I've felt, since the day my father, a WWII veteran, who gave me the Luger so many years ago. I'll probabably never give it up, but I'm curious to what other prople who own one - think about it.

I've probably fired around 200-300 rounds through it; it jams, now and then, with conventional Remington ammo, but with "juiced up" reloaded shells, it doesn't.

Anyone had that experience?

R

RadioPatrol

I think I'm sensing the same thoughts(that you are) that I've felt, since the day my father, a WWII veteran, who gave me the Luger so many years ago. I'll probabably never give it up, but I'm curious to what other prople who own one - think about it.

I've probably fired around 200-300 rounds through it; it jams, now and then, with conventional Remington ammo, but with "juiced up" reloaded shells, it doesn't.

Anyone had that experience?

I fired a Luger way back in 1980 ... nice piece, we only put a few rnds through it ... I wanted to get back to the M1911A1 :evil:

Pushrod

Patriot
My father has one that was my Grandfathers that he liberated from a German soldier soon after D-day. I don't know if he (my father) ever has shot it, as he lives in California now and there really is no place to shoot near him.

One day I know it will be mine:drool:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
My father has one that was my Grandfathers that he liberated from a German soldier soon after D-day. I don't know if he (my father) ever has shot it, as he lives in California now and there really is no place to shoot near him.

One day I know it will be mine:drool:

If you look it over really intently, you'll notice the weapon is hand-made. The tooling marks are visible on the sides of the receiver, where, at least on mine, the swirls of the handtool used to shape it are evident. The wooden grips were hand carved too, I understand. These guys knew what they were doing; masters, I would have to say.

Years ago, I did have a problem with firing conventional 9mm rounds through it. The weapon would jam, as a shell was leaving the firing chamber, and a fresh one was trying to take it's place. Seems there wasn't enough powder in these rounds, and the action wasn't getting enough oomph(!) to eject the spent round, before the new one was being sent into the chamber. A fellow at a gunsmith shop in Phoenix, AZ, told me the Germans used hotter rounds(more powder grains) in their ammo versions, and there wasn't a problem with them. So, I purchased a couple of hundred of them, fired off a bunch of them at a shooting range, out in the desert, and noticed the jamming ceased.

Wish I could locate a firing range locally, to take this pistol out there and relive the fun I had back in Arizona!

Pushrod

Patriot
If you look it over really intently, you'll notice the weapon is hand-made. The tooling marks are visible on the sides of the receiver, where, at least on mine, the swirls of the handtool used to shape it are evident. The wooden grips were hand carved too, I understand. These guys knew what they were doing; masters, I would have to say.

Years ago, I did have a problem with firing conventional 9mm rounds through it. The weapon would jam, as a shell was leaving the firing chamber, and a fresh one was trying to take it's place. Seems there wasn't enough powder in these rounds, and the action wasn't getting enough oomph(!) to eject the spent round, before the new one was being sent into the chamber. A fellow at a gunsmith shop in Phoenix, AZ, told me the Germans used hotter rounds(more powder grains) in their ammo versions, and there wasn't a problem with them. So, I purchased a couple of hundred of them, fired off a bunch of them at a shooting range, out in the desert, and noticed the jamming ceased.

Wish I could locate a firing range locally, to take this pistol out there and relive the fun I had back in Arizona!

There is always Sanners Lake. I've been a member there for a while and it's not too bad a range for the area. My only complaint is that the longest range is 100 yards.

R

RadioPatrol

There is always Sanners Lake. I've been a member there for a while and it's not too bad a range for the area. My only complaint is that the longest range is 100 yards.

What does it cost to bring a guest :whistle:

R

RadioPatrol

Dec American Rifleman has a nice article about Lugers