Get it together, please!!

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Normally, I'm pretty easy going. I stand up for myself but let most things slide right off my back. I am hoping by posting this, someone out there who is in "charge" might see this and either get me answers or change how they operate.

This is my second year with the Upward basketball program as a parent of a player. I commend how it's not overly-competitive and that they make it fun for all the kids. I understand that the coaches are volunteers but my son has had two doozies. Last year's was a wanna-be gangsta who had the kids watch him and his buddies play basketball at the practices and then told all the kids to immediately pass the ball to their brother and not attempt to play at all. By the end of the season, only my son, their brother and one other kid hadn't quit the team. I would have pulled my son but I teach my son that he has to follow through with his committments. This year's coach only showed up to one practice so far and then stood around while the kids had a free-for-all game of basketball.

Also, we are going into Week 2 of games and we still don't have a practice schedule or game schedule. I can't tell you the last time we practiced but I know that it was well before the Christmas holiday and the last one, the coach bailed out because he was tired. We don't find out about when games are until the last minute. We found out the time of our game for this Saturday yesterday. My son's birthday party is on hold until I find out what time games are so I can invite people. I had to cancel out of other people's parties because I don't know if we'll be at a game or not.

Why can't Calvert County have a basketball league for kids under 9??? That would solve everything for me. I believe St Mary's Parks and Rec offer basketball for under 9, right?

Ok.. :rant: is over. I feel better! Just had to get that off my chest. :lol:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Normally, I'm pretty easy going. I stand up for myself but let most things slide right off my back. I am hoping by posting this, someone out there who is in "charge" might see this and either get me answers or change how they operate.

This is my second year with the Upward basketball program as a parent of a player. I commend how it's not overly-competitive and that they make it fun for all the kids. I understand that the coaches are volunteers but my son has had two doozies. Last year's was a wanna-be gangsta who had the kids watch him and his buddies play basketball at the practices and then told all the kids to immediately pass the ball to their brother and not attempt to play at all. By the end of the season, only my son, their brother and one other kid hadn't quit the team. I would have pulled my son but I teach my son that he has to follow through with his committments. This year's coach only showed up to one practice so far and then stood around while the kids had a free-for-all game of basketball.

Also, we are going into Week 2 of games and we still don't have a practice schedule or game schedule. I can't tell you the last time we practiced but I know that it was well before the Christmas holiday and the last one, the coach bailed out because he was tired. We don't find out about when games are until the last minute. We found out the time of our game for this Saturday yesterday. My son's birthday party is on hold until I find out what time games are so I can invite people. I had to cancel out of other people's parties because I don't know if we'll be at a game or not.

Why can't Calvert County have a basketball league for kids under 9??? That would solve everything for me. I believe St Mary's Parks and Rec offer basketball for under 9, right?

Ok.. :rant: is over. I feel better! Just had to get that off my chest. :lol:

My niece and nephew both played Parks & Rec and with the Magic in Calvert.

My grandkids are involved with Upwards..Basketball and Soccer. What do YOU to do help out?

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
My niece and nephew both played Parks & Rec and with the Magic in Calvert.

My grandkids are involved with Upwards..Basketball and Soccer. What do YOU to do help out?

Are your niece and nephew under 9 yrs old? I've checked both websites and both say that participants have to be atleast 9.

I did alot last year with Upwards because the coach sucked. I was the one who got on the court and tried to teach the kids how to play while their coach was off with his friends. I was the one who communicated with all the parents in person, over the phone and through emails who was in charge of snacks, which uniforms to wear, any changes in location/times for the games.

This year, I've emailed the crap out of the guy in charge and the coach trying to get a practice and game schedule. I've emailed the parents to get them to contact them about finding out info. I provided a snack for the first game and set up a snack schedule for the rest of the season. I get on the court with these kids and teach them because the one time the coach did show up, he stood around watch them claw at eachother until I intervened. I basically coached the team during their first game as well as helped referee.

Last edited:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
If you are going to be there for the practices and games, why don't you just coach the team? That would slove your problems, and if you run into an issue were you are not going to be able to make it, why don't you ask another parent to fill in?

I was going to coach this season but they said I'd have to coach girls which made no sense because I have a BOY on a team. I'd want to coach his team. I think next season, my husband will volunteer and I will assist since he is rusty on his basketball knowledge/skills. I basically am the coach, just not officially. The kids were looking to me for direction during the game, not the coach. I was yelling stuff out from the sidelines plus coaching the ref (which happened to be another parent). He really didn't know the rules of basketball either. :ohwell:

I started this thread to basically find out if our team is the only team without a practice/game schedule or is Upwards so disorganized this season that one hasn't been finalized yet. Just want to be "in the know".

youthfootball

If you would like, you can call-in tonight and if we have time we can talk about this issue.

Please listen tonight as we have a great show planned for this evening. Free Online Radio - Internet Talk Radio | BlogTalkRadio

Please remember to call-in if you would like. 646-716-4358

We will have the following guest on our show tonight,

Arthur Shepherd - Recreation Division Manger

Ray Rice - Great Mills Track and Field Coach

Bonnie Beavan - 2008 Teacher of year and Head Coach basketball Spring Ridge Middle School.

rockfish

I started this thread to basically find out if our team is the only team without a practice/game schedule or is Upwards so disorganized this season that one hasn't been finalized yet. Just want to be "in the know".

No, you aren't the only one. I coach 4th/5th grade boys and have been begging for a practice schedule. I have sent many emails to the head guy (DW) and have yet to get a response. It is really frustrating. The website page that is suppose to list the practice schedule comes up blank.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
No, you aren't the only one. I coach 4th/5th grade boys and have been begging for a practice schedule. I have sent many emails to the head guy (DW) and have yet to get a response. It is really frustrating. The website page that is suppose to list the practice schedule comes up blank.

Great! That's what I wanted to know. DW sent an email last night reminding everyone that when school close early or are closed for the day, practices are cancelled. Then I really started worrying about us being the only ones without a schedule. I feel better now. Thanks!!

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
We finally had a practice last night. Coach was a no-show until it was atleast half over. I had the kids practicing passing and dribbling. He shows up and it goes to pot. Just let the kids have a free-for-all as usual and just stood around and watch. :ohwell:

rockfish

We finally had a practice last night. Coach was a no-show until it was atleast half over. I had the kids practicing passing and dribbling. He shows up and it goes to pot. Just let the kids have a free-for-all as usual and just stood around and watch. :ohwell:

Did you have the court to yourselves, or were there other teams practicing at the same time?