Get Woke Go Broke - Vegan Restaurant Edition

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Handsome Her, a vegan café in the Melbourne suburb of Brunswick, will close its doors on April 28, writing on Facebook that the two women responsible for running the business “are off to our next adventure up north where we will be doing some hands-on work, something we have missed sorely whilst being at 206 Sydney Rd, Brunswick.”

There is no indication that the restaurant is closing as a result of charging men more than women – a policy that was implemented back when the restaurant opened and only applied one week a month.

As the Sydney Morning Herald reported in 2017, when Handsome Her made headlines for its charge-men-more policy, the café posted a chalkboard outside with three rules:

House Rules, Rule #1: women have priority seating. Rule #2: men will be charged an 18% premium to reflect the gender pay gap (2016) which is donated to a women's service. Rule #3 respect goes both ways.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/46326/vegan-restaurant-charged-men-18-more-women-closing-ashe-schow

BOP

I've often wondered what a Wymn's Utopian world would look like...this may be a small inkling.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I've often wondered what a Wymn's Utopian world would look like...this may be a small inkling.

A world full of shoe stores, yankee candles and places that sell yoga pants.

TCROW

most new business don't last 3 yrs what we are not told is why this business failed ?

It was a vegan restaurant. They tend not to last very long as the customer base is somewhat limiting.

The upcharge for men was voluntary, not required.

glhs837

Power with Control
Saw this in an article, the irony is thick....bolding mine :)

"You guys created such an important space for me and my daughters, and a safe space for me to imagine a different world. Well done and good luck - we'll miss you," wrote one woman on the café's Facebook.

Did anyone ask them what they would charge a trans? Of course not. Pre/post op make a difference? Or could I just say I'm "identifying as" and get that 18% back?