getting fuel smell/oil stains out of clothing???

ltowngirl

Help! my husband is a mechanic by trade and everyday he comes home reeking of diesel fuel and his clothes are always stained with grease and oil. I wash them using Tide and fabric softener, plus the Tide fireworks (to try and make them smell better)... and he still complains that his shirts stink everyday. No matter how much i wash the, the smell never seems to subside. Any suggestions on what to use???

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Depending on your washing machine, you may have to stop it and manual switch settings.

Using the warm water setting - put clothes in the washing machine - pour a 50 / 50 mix of baking soda and white vinegar (a cup will do ya) with a splash of Dawn dish soap on clothes. Let the machine fill up with warm water and then set it to soak for at least 2 hours. I'd actually suggest over night. Then spin out the clothes (drain water). Then run the load on your regular setting with your regular laundry detergent and some 20 mule team borax (add the amount suggested on the box) to the machine. You may want to repeat this process a couple of times depending on how bad it is. Remember all those scents you are adding can actually be making the chemical smell just a tad worse for him, or just temporarily masking the odor. I'd also suggest air drying the clothes if possible.

Roman

Make sure that you aren't over-loading the machine too. Fill the tub half-way with clothes, but put machine on full load mode. Migtig has some fantastic ideas above. I wash my washing machine at least once a week without clothes, and use Dawn, and vinegar.

MMM_donuts

I second the Borax. That what I use on my flight suits.

.....and how I fixed my husband's shirts the last two times I laundered them with an accidental tube of Chapstick...

SoMDGirl42

my ex is a mechanic. I found that front load washers work better than top load because the clothes aren't sitting in the dirty greasy water. I used to add a little (1/2 cup to cup depending on the amount of grease) of the blue colored pine sol to his clothes. The pine sol helped to cut the grease and the blue one smells good. Also smaller loads worked better than stuffing it with too many and allowed it wash better.

Idunno

Empty a can of regular Coke a Cola into the wash. It used to work on the greasy rags my Dad used to use in the garage.

acommondisaster

Might try hanging them out in the air to dry, too. That's what I do with pot holders and dish towels (I can't stand the greasy smell they seem to get after awhile)

Also, remember that anything with a fragrance has something in it to make the fragrance "stick" to the clothes, so you may be fighting an uphill battle with anything scented. I have a friend who swears by unscented douche for cleaning up skunk spray on his dogs for that reason. Maybe using that principle, you might try using a baking soda based detergent. Good luck.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Help! my husband is a mechanic by trade and everyday he comes home reeking of diesel fuel and his clothes are always stained with grease and oil. I wash them using Tide and fabric softener, plus the Tide fireworks (to try and make them smell better)... and he still complains that his shirts stink everyday. No matter how much i wash the, the smell never seems to subside. Any suggestions on what to use???

Try one of these.....since Dawn and Simple Green are grease cutters.

1) Mix a 2 to 1 mixture of Simple Green and hot water in a household sink. Soak oil, grease and/or diesel fuel-soiled clothes in a sink of hot water.
Soak until water gets cold, then either rinse with cold water, or put into washing machine, without rinsing; just don't use as much laundry detergent.

or

2) Soak in hot water with 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. of DAWN dish soap until water gets cold. Then wash in cold in washing machine; just remember to not use as much detergent.

YW

ZARA

Depending on your washing machine, you may have to stop it and manual switch settings.

Using the warm water setting - put clothes in the washing machine - pour a 50 / 50 mix of baking soda and white vinegar (a cup will do ya) with a splash of Dawn dish soap on clothes. Let the machine fill up with warm water and then set it to soak for at least 2 hours. I'd actually suggest over night. Then spin out the clothes (drain water). Then run the load on your regular setting with your regular laundry detergent and some 20 mule team borax (add the amount suggested on the box) to the machine. You may want to repeat this process a couple of times depending on how bad it is. Remember all those scents you are adding can actually be making the chemical smell just a tad worse for him, or just temporarily masking the odor. I'd also suggest air drying the clothes if possible.

Superb advice.

If that doesn't work...
I all ways used about 1/4 cup Dawn in a tub (get one of the large storage tubs from Biglots or what-not) filled with hot water, swish it around with a broom handle if you have sensitive skin, or use your hands to scrub them out and then let soak for a day or 2 depending on how bad it is. Rinse well then place in washer for a normal washing. My husband use to all ways come home smelling like helicopters/planes/oil/grease etc. I hate it.

Roman

Superb advice.

If that doesn't work...
I all ways used about 1/4 cup Dawn in a tub (get one of the large storage tubs from Biglots or what-not) filled with hot water, swish it around with a broom handle if you have sensitive skin, or use your hands to scrub them out and then let soak for a day or 2 depending on how bad it is. Rinse well then place in washer for a normal washing. My husband use to all ways come home smelling like helicopters/planes/oil/grease etc. I hate it.
I have a small potty plunger that I use to swish the clothes. No, it's never been used in the potty.

I seem to remember that clothes with gas/oil/grease on them should not be washed in the washer as the fumes could ignite. I do remember reading that, but cannot find anything to back it up.

I do know that if I wash something with kero or grease on it, my machine stinks for two more loads.

Edit: Found this:

http://www.ci.garden-grove.ca.us/fire/flammable

What safety precautions does the Fire Department recommend for handling gasoline (or other flammable liquid) spills on one's skin or clothing?

If you spill gasoline on your skin, avoid breathing the fumes and thoroughly wash the affected area with soap and water right away. Clothing with spilled gasoline should be removed as soon as possible and aired outside for several days before laundering. Also, never launder gasoline-soaked rags (or other non-clothing fabric items) without first airing for several days before placing them in the washer.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Try one of these.....since Dawn and Simple Green are grease cutters.

That and Super Clean (purple stuff available at Advance, Autozone, etc) . For the really badly grease/oil/gas soaked clothes, I'll mix up a solution of Super Clean and water in a 5-gallon bucket (a cup or two of Superclean...depending on how bad the problem is) and give the clothes a good 2-hour presoak.

That and Super Clean (purple stuff available at Advance, Autozone, etc) . For the really badly grease/oil/gas soaked clothes, I'll mix up a solution of Super Clean and water in a 5-gallon bucket (a cup or two of Superclean...depending on how bad the problem is) and give the clothes a good 2-hour presoak.
Super Clean is the absolute best of all the liquid degreasers.