Getting my Trailer on the road....

JCStar

Hi everyone - I bought my first horse trailer this summer to haul my beloved beastie around. Then, just last week, I bought my truck. I need a referral to someone who can come out to my barn and set me up with the proper tow hitch/ball for my combo and install a brake controller?

Anyone know someone who will come out to me? I have a guy in AA County who was referred to me - but he is hard to get an appointment with (still waiting after three unreturned phone calls and one cancelled appointment).

Any help you could lend would be much appreciated! I had hoped to be on the road by this weekend....but just as soon as I'm hooked up and ready, I need to practice loading and driving the sucker! Looks like I won't be on the road to showing until November....but this is a long awaited dream to have my own wheels so I suppose a little longer won't kill me!

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Depending on where you are located "the hitch man," dealerships, or some of the truck places like "trick trucks".

Not many peeps will come out to you. Except family and freinds.(maybe)

Make sure whoever you get to do the install is insured and that they know how much you trailer weighs? NET AND GROSS.

for added info you should give who ever installs the hitch the hieght of the trailer tonge when it is sitting level.

BIG KEY!!!! you always want to tow your trailer "level".

bcp

In My Opinion
make sure nobody does any welding on the frame.

and, before you put the horses in the trailer, I would pull it a bit and make sure I was really used to how it pulled before taking a chance with the horses.

fredsaid2

Horse Trailer Articles has a lot of good articles. I'd do my research to be sure I'm getting the correct hitch installed for my tow vehicle. I have a Class IV hitch, factory installed. A Class III w/ a tow capacity of 5k may be marginal for your needs. Think the trailer at 3k, 2 horses at 2k and you've not added in any extras.

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
I went to Trick Trucks and they were very professional, did a great job and I highly recomend them. I've used them for other aftermarket products that I put on my truck too.

JCStar

Finally!

I have Dustin from Legondary Trailer coming out on Tuesday - he has done most work (maintenance, hitch installation, brake repair, etc.) on many of my friend's trailers in Harwood/Davidsonville area. It has been very hard to pin him down to a date - however, he is highly regarded and everyone who has used him has been happy with his work.
I have a friend coming to coach me as soon as I'm set up - and pull around, play way in advance of putting my beastie in! No worries - I'll get there!!!!

devinej

you can call jesse bauer, he has his own garage at his house and will make house calls too. he got me all set up with my horse trailer and truck

301-247-9669

mingiz

Horse Poor
You'll be lucky to get one installed by the weekend. I have had 2 trucks done by Trick Trucks in Great Mills. I also had one installed by LaGrande RV and a brake controller. Both I would go back to. And as bcp said make sure there is no welding . For a gooseneck it will all bolt onto the frame. And unless you have towing experience I would take it for a few test spins before loading it. Get a controller that will handle the trailer. bcp has many miles of towing under his belt..I do also with horses...Be safe always watch the next guy, to much can happen to fast. :buddies:

How big is the trailer and what are you towing with? BTW Congrats:popcorn:

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
I have Dustin from Legondary Trailer coming out on Tuesday - he has done most work (maintenance, hitch installation, brake repair, etc.) on many of my friend's trailers in Harwood/Davidsonville area. It has been very hard to pin him down to a date - however, he is highly regarded and everyone who has used him has been happy with his work.
I have a friend coming to coach me as soon as I'm set up - and pull around, play way in advance of putting my beastie in! No worries - I'll get there!!!!

I wonder how much extra a house call costs?

mingiz

Horse Poor
I wonder how much extra a house call costs?

Don't know but if your mechaniclly inclined it's not hard to install one. But I opted for a licensed shop to do mine for ins purposes. That way if it fails I can go back on the installer...:popcorn: