Getting rid of used books?

LandingInLondon

Is there any place around here that takes used books?? I have boxes full of books that i've read and i'm sure i'll never read them again. I don't want to just throw them away. I could sell them on ebay, but i wanted to see if there was anything local first.

Toxick

Splat
Is there any place around here that takes used books?? I have boxes full of books that i've read and i'm sure i'll never read them again. I don't want to just throw them away. I could sell them on ebay, but i wanted to see if there was anything local first.

I only know of two in the tri-county area.
Second Looks Books in Prince Frederick and Ellie's Paperback Shack in Waldorf.

Not sure if they give cash or store-credit.

party301

i'll think of one.....

you might also want to check with the local schools depending on the type of books.

Lexington Park Library will only take books in excellent condition and less than 5 years old, due to space. There's a possibility one of the other branches might accept them.

T

toppick08

Nursing homes and Veterans homes used to take them here, not sure if they still do...:shrug:

z-rida

All 3 Vintage Value Thrift Stores will take them. Plus all donations are tax deductable.
LEONARDTOWN: 301.475.3655 Mon-Fri 9-5 Sat 9-5 Sunday Closed
LEXINGTON PARK: 301.737.4884 Mon-Fri 9-5.15 Sat 9-5 Sun 10.30-3.30
PRINCE FREDERICK : 443.975-7161 Mon-Fri 9-6 Sat 9-5 Sun 10.30-3.30

shannonbrio

W

Would you be interested in donating them for a school yardsale? Tax donation letter would be provided. PM me if interested. Thanks!

bluewater

Either catholic charities in Prince Frederick or Smile in Lusby. Also, perhaps one of the local nursing homes would love to have them to add to their library.

punchbuggy

I would call Smile first (sorry I don't know the #) They have gotten really particular about donations lately and have certain times they accept them. (Not necessarily the same times as their operating hours). Second Look Books in Prince Frederick may take them and give you a credit for future book purchases. They are in the shopping center were KMart and Giant Food & Peebles are located.

ljcwebster

Check out Books for International Goodwill in Wayson's Corner. They send donated books to impoverished areas around the world and sell some books to pay for the shipping costs. Most of the books shipped are educational (fairly recent textbooks, those for new readers, etc), the rest are sold. It is also a great place to pick up books, any book is no more than $1.50, and you can buy a whole bag for $30. Great books and a great cause. Their website is: Site Home Page.