Gettysburg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Looks like a lot of fun! Gettysburg can be a bit tedious for kids (and adults who are not Civil War buffs) but that place looks like there's enough activity to keep everyone busy and entertained.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They have a 2 hour battlefield tour on horseback that's a lot of fun if the kids are up for something like that. They give you headphones so you can listen to the story of Pickett's charge while you ride over the ground where it took place. Very cool! :yay:

Christy

b*tch rocket
vraiblonde said:
Looks like a lot of fun! Gettysburg can be a bit tedious for kids (and adults who are not Civil War buffs) but that place looks like there's enough activity to keep everyone busy and entertained.
It will probably be more tedious for me than the kids. (I'm not a Civil War buff) :lol: My oldest is a History buff and just came back from Gettysburg on a school trip. He's chomping at the bit to get back up there since he didn't get to see everything. :shrug: I also found a link on their site to a miniature pony farm, which is right up the youngest one's alley.

What is the best time of year to go up?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Christy said:
What is the best time of year to go up?
Any time except winter. In the fall it's gorgeous up there and spring is very nice, too. Summers don't get miserably hot so even that's doable. Lots of tourists during the summer but not too bad.

K

Kizzy

I think that is a terrific place to visit, and I think your oldest boy will love it. Some friends of mine stayed at that place and raved about it.

I think the spring and the fall is the nicest time to go there. Walking around in the middle of summer there sucks, IMO.

Christy

b*tch rocket
vraiblonde said:
Any time except winter. In the fall it's gorgeous up there and spring is very nice, too. Summers don't get miserably hot so even that's doable.
I'd prefer fall, but I think the kids would prefer spring or summer since Fall is too far away for their brains to stand. :lol:

Christy

b*tch rocket
vraiblonde said:
They have a 2 hour battlefield tour on horseback that's a lot of fun if the kids are up for something like that. They give you headphones so you can listen to the story of Pickett's charge while you ride over the ground where it took place. Very cool! :yay:
Very cool! Did you actually do the horseback tour? I checked out the website and they don't list the price. :bawl:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Christy said:
Very cool! Did you actually do the horseback tour? I checked out the website and they don't list the price.
Yep - did it a few years ago. It was a lot of fun but fairly expensive. I want to say like $50 or $60 a head but call for prices.

vraiblonde said:
Any time except winter. In the fall it's gorgeous up there and spring is very nice, too. Summers don't get miserably hot so even that's doable. Lots of tourists during the summer but not too bad.
:yeahthat:When I was a freshman in H.S., my Scout troop camped there, I think it was in early February. It was the coldest temps for that date since records were first kept. Tent poles were shattering left and right. The next morning, a thermometer sitting on the rear package tray of our car, in direct sunlight, was reading way below freezing.