Girls Arrested for Stealing from Mailboxes

bookrat

Nothing is safe anymore....

What kind of punishment should they get?

From Baynet web site

15-Year-Old Girls Arrested for Stealing Money, Gifts from Mailboxes
GREAT MILLS - 12/27/2009

On December 23, deputies responded to a residence on Kinnegad Place in Great Mills, for a report of a theft.

Investigation revealed a witness observed two teen age girls, both 15-years-old, one from California, and the other from Great Mills, walking along a path behind Kinnegad Drive carrying envelopes and packages. When the two girls got to the end of the path their hands no longer had the envelopes or packages. The witness thought their activity was suspicious so he went to investigate and walked along the path. The witness discovered open envelopes and a package (mail) from various people. As deputies were talking to the witness, the two juveniles girls walked back down the path. The deputies stopped the juveniles.

Further investigation revealed the juveniles were taking mail and packages out of mailboxes in the area of Kinnegad Drive, Kinnegad Place and Lower Kells Lane in Great Mills, to steal money, gift cards and other valuables.

The juveniles were arrested and charged with seven counts of theft and one count of theft scheme and released to their parents. Deputies Maguire and Worrey were the investigating deputies

Actually, stealing from a mailbox is a federal offense. I doubt they'll get the feds involved, the punishments would be far more severe than a slap on the wrist.

I

Irish_Eyes

I'd make them apologize in person, door to door(with someone there to supervise, of course, just incase the victims decided to do something stupid), and then put them in Juvie for a few months atleast. And anything they spent that they stole, they should have to find a way to pay back. Maybe mow lawns, shovel snow, etc for the families they took from.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I'd make them apologize in person, door to door(with someone there to supervise, of course, just incase the victims decided to do something stupid), and then put them in Juvie for a few months atleast. And anything they spent that they stole, they should have to find a way to pay back. Maybe mow lawns, shovel snow, etc for the families they took from.
I agree with the door to door apologies and restitution but juvie is too much. A years supervised probation should suffice.

Rommey

Make them sort mail every Saturday for a year; make them pick up litter in the neighborhood every Sunday for a year.

Of course restitution and a personal apology to the victims.

it ruins every single weekend for one year. Believe me, that's something they won't soon forget.

I

Irish_Eyes

I agree with the door to door apologies and restitution but juvie is too much. A years supervised probation should suffice.

I wouldn't vote for the juvie thing if they were younger, but 15 is plenty old enough to realize that what you're doing is wrong. It's also old enough to see that people aren't enforcing a strict punishment for breaking a federal law, just because you're young. And when teens see that the punishment is so light, they just get smarter about not getting caught.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I wouldn't vote for the juvie thing if they were younger, but 15 is plenty old enough to realize that what you're doing is wrong. It's also old enough to see that people aren't enforcing a strict punishment for breaking a federal law, just because you're young. And when teens see that the punishment is so light, they just get smarter about not getting caught.
Sounds like you know these girls pretty well. :eyebrow:

I took my parents car for a joy ride when I was 15. Blew by Pennies at 91 mph when I saw the MSP behind me. 6 months supervised probation and look how I turned out. :diva:

Juvie is not always necessary when no harm or destruction was done.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I live in that neighboorhood and we were notified via email. Our mail was held due to us being away. I did have a school book on my porch..if they really wanted that they could have had it. BUT a book on Systems Engineering is not up their alley.

I

Irish_Eyes

Sounds like you know these girls pretty well. :eyebrow:

I took my parents car for a joy ride when I was 15. Blew by Pennies at 91 mph when I saw the MSP behind me. 6 months supervised probation and look how I turned out. :diva:

Juvie is not always necessary when no harm or destruction was done.

How is taking people's belongings, spending their money, etc, not doing harm? What about the sentimental value some people place on things like holiday cards? Had the girls been 18, most people would want them thrown in jail, no questions asked. Three years doesn't change your mentality THAT much.

Vince

The juveniles were arrested and charged with seven counts of theft and one count of theft scheme and released to their parents. Deputies Maguire and Worrey were the investigating deputies
Don't see how they won't be charged with a felony? This is a slap on the wrist and just plain sucks. And they knew they'd get away with it because they're juveniles.

I

Irish_Eyes

Don't see how they won't be charged with a felony? This is a slap on the wrist and just plain sucks. And they knew they'd get away with it because they're juveniles.

If their parents are anything like mine and the other parents in my family... you could always just fine the parents and see what kind of creative punishments they come up with. Then of course, with some of the BS laws we have in this country now, we'd be locking the parents up for abuse. :doh:

"Kids" are smarter than most people want to give them credit for these days, and that saddens and scares me.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
How is taking people's belongings, spending their money, etc, not doing harm? What about the sentimental value some people place on things like holiday cards? Had the girls been 18, most people would want them thrown in jail, no questions asked. Three years doesn't change your mentality THAT much.
Yea, I get real sentimental over mail I didn't even know I had. :lmao:

No one was physically harmed, nothing was destroyed. Send em to juvie you may make matters worse. You don't know these girls or their maturity levels to be recommending sending them up the road. Now if they have a history, nail em to the cross.

onebdzee

off the shelf
If their parents are anything like mine and the other parents in my family... you could always just fine the parents and see what kind of creative punishments they come up with. Then of course, with some of the BS laws we have in this country now, we'd be locking the parents up for abuse. :doh:

"Kids" are smarter than most people want to give them credit for these days, and that saddens and scares me.

If their parents were anything like mine, I would punch the cop in the mouth just to make sure I stayed in jail....if I even thought about doing something like this, I would have had my ass beat to an inch of my life

Vince

No one was physically harmed, nothing was destroyed. Send em to juvie you may make matters worse. You don't know these girls or their maturity levels to be recommending sending them up the road. Now if they have a history, nail em to the cross.
If it was an important piece of mail you were expecting, you'd get upset. If it was a social security check you depended on to pay your bills, you'd be upset. That's an assinine statement to make.

No harm was done so just slap them on the wrist. :bs: What does knowing these girls or their maturity level have to do with committing a crime? They stole, but I guess that's OK with you.

I

Irish_Eyes

So let me get this straight... instead of handling an issue NOW, while it's simple theft, you'd rather it get WORSE before a real punishment is metted out?

And if you want to say that sending them to juvie for a couple months may make it worse, you could also argue it may make it worse to just give them a slap on the wrist because that may teach them that they can get away with things like this without much punishment if they get caught. At which point, they may set their sights on something that sits on a grander scale. Next time, they may be breaking into people's houses, because their juveniles afterall, and they obviously don't know any better.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
If it was an important piece of mail you were expecting, you'd get upset. If it was a social security check you depended on to pay your bills, you'd be upset. That's an assinine statement to make.

No harm was done so just slap them on the wrist. :bs: What does knowing these girls or their maturity level have to do with committing a crime? They stole, but I guess that's OK with you.
No it's not ok with me. As I posted, I did something even worse when I was 15 and turned out just fine. If they are 1st time offenders, the judge should take that into consideration. If they aren't, send em away.

So let me get this straight... instead of handling an issue NOW, while it's simple theft, you'd rather it get WORSE before a real punishment is metted out?

And if you want to say that sending them to juvie for a couple months may make it worse, you could also argue it may make it worse to just give them a slap on the wrist because that may teach them that they can get away with things like this without much punishment if they get caught. At which point, they may set their sights on something that sits on a grander scale. Next time, they may be breaking into people's houses, because their juveniles afterall, and they obviously don't know any better.
Where did you get this from?? Have any reading comprehension? Don't try to put words in my mouth. My posts are very clear. You sound just like Kris. Young female with a son and think you know it all . :lmao:

When your little angel grows up and does something like this lets see how quick you are to send him to juvie.