GMC Active Fuel Management

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I've had my GMC Sierra 1500 since 2014. It came with a feature (AFM) that turns off 4 cylinders to run in an economy mode when 8 cylinders just aren't needed. I didn't see it doing a whole lot as far as fuel savings, but knew it was there. At lower speeds it would kick into "V4" mode and drop into high gear (6th), and you could feel a distinctive rumble from the drive train. Annoying, but not a big problem.

In the past few days I came across a series of YouTubes on AFM. It's a huge problem. AFM "turns off" 4 cylinders by manipulation the hydraulic lifters associated with cylinders 1, 4, 6 and 7 on the 5.3, 6.0 and 6.2 liter motors. These lifters have a very high failure rate. When they fail, it can cause catastrophic damage to the cam shaft, and in extreme cases, cause the pistons to strike the valves. Extremely expensive repairs. Class action suits have been brought against GM. There are kits available to retrofit the engine to remove the AFM (also called DoD Displacement on Demand). There are also OBDII plugs that turn off AFM, or you can flash the computer to turn it off permanently. Reprogramming to turn off AFM seems to help, but there have still been cases of lifter failure.

Seems the base cause of the failures is related to oil flow. Regular oil changes help mitigate the problem. There are also some internal cover bolts that come loose, not properly secured at the factory, that reduce oil flow to the lifters, and a small oil screen in the lifter oil delivery system that can clog. Unfortunately, you can't examine any of these without removing the intake manifold. Not a job for the novice.

One other thing you can do to suppress AFM is manually select the gear range so it doesn't drop into high gear. If you have an automatic with manual shift override, select "L" or "M" on the shifter and manually increment to 5th gear. It will shift normally in gears 1-5 but not drop into 6th, and the AFM won't engage. But you have to do this every time you restart the vehicle.

Anyway, it has me a bit concerned, but not much I can do about it right now. Just thought I'd pass this on as it's a very popular motor series. LOTS of videos on the failures and delete kits.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, gotta meet those corporate EPA standards somehow. Like Engine Stop/Start, nothing really there for you, but squeeze's another mpg or two on the EPA cycle where it matters.

Bare-ya-cuda

My 2011 Yukon with a 6.2 liter hasn’t had any problems with AFM and it’s got around 175k on the odometer. One thing you don’t want to do is put oil in that’s not the recommended weight or add any oil additives. Both of those will cause issues with AFM.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My 2011 Yukon with a 6.2 liter hasn’t had any problems with AFM and it’s got around 175k on the odometer. One thing you don’t want to do is put oil in that’s not the recommended weight or add any oil additives. Both of those will cause issues with AFM.
I just turned 100k on my 5.3, but I've been very meticulous about oil changes.

All this came about because I decided to not buy a replacement truck and invest some $ into this one as it's in really good condition. So I've been scanning the sources for things that need/could be done to prolong it's life and came across this.

And btw, also found a very low cost mod for the 6L80 transmission that reduces the transmission temp from a norm of 190-200* to 130-140*, with a bypass valve kit. Easy to do.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
One other thing you can do to suppress AFM is manually select the gear range so it doesn't drop into high gear. If you have an automatic with manual shift override, select "L" or "M" on the shifter and manually increment to 5th gear. It will shift normally in gears 1-5 but not drop into 6th, and the AFM won't engage. But you have to do this every time you restart the vehicle.
And this is interesting....

Ever since I've had the truck, it's had a hesitation at low speed from a stop. No codes, swapped out suspect components... was never able to find it, so just accepted it. Today I used the AFM suppression method above. Came to a stop, stepped on the gas, waited for the hesitation...... none. It was gone. The engine runs thru the gears much more smoothly, no hesitations, better performance. Switched it back to normal drive mode, and the hesitation came back.

These engine 'enhancements' are just too much. Computerized fuel injection was a great thing. They should have stopped there.

Someone I know that has done the AFM delete on their GMC, going to see how he went about it.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....

Looks like the easiest fix
Yes, but it has a downside. If you leave it plugged in, it can drain the battery.

There have also been a few that have disabled AFM thru this or other means, and have still had a lifter collapse. Only way to be sure is the delete kit, but that's some serious surgery and cash.