GMO is Rape of Crops

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Last week, a Native American botanist argued that the genetic modification of crops is a form of rape. Perhaps the next step in the #MeToo movement involves returning to the low crop yields before the Green Revolution, which saved billions of lives by making food more available through genetic modification, among other things.

Robin Wall Kimmerer, a botanist, member of the Citizen Potawatomi Nation, and director of the Center for Native Peoples and the Environment at SUNY-Syracuse, called corn "one of our deepest and oldest relatives." In an interview with Wisconsin Public Radio, she humanized corn as the "Corn Mother," saying, "Corn is sacred because she gives us her children in return for protecting us."

Kimmerer wasn't talking about the sweet corn Americans love to eat today, but rather the native corn that comes in hundreds of varieties. She contrasted this wild corn with the genetically modified corn her neighbor grows.

"There’s a word for forcible injection of unwanted genes," Kimmerer said. "Rape."

https://pjmedia.com/trending/genetic-modification-of-crops-is-rape-botanist-says/

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

It's not the some-what, that can be naturally occurring, or by human intervention, cross pollination, of certain plants. Nor the splicing of an apple branch to a different species of tree, that is at issue. It is the genetic, incestuous, all together splicing of foreign plant, or animal, or marine, genomes into food staple edible plants. Corn may still look like corn. An apple may still look like an apple. However, on the RNA and DNA level, they are completely different. While science may know what changes have been made to any food via these manipulations, they do not know how these changes will affect humans upon consumption. Changes made naturally over time in foods allow humans and other animals to assimilate those foods. GMO foods skip the thousands of years nature provides for. I stay away from anything GMO'd, including farm raised anything marine, salmon, tilapia, etc..

Hijinx

You may think you are staying away----but---you aren't/
Once the pollination process starts the wind blows the pollen from improved products to those you believe are not improved.
It's a Genie, that cannot be put back in the bottle.

SamSpade

I guess there's SOME difference between cultivation - domestication - and selective breeding.
I don't have a problem with it - we've done the same with our OWN species.

Reactions: BOP

GregV814

Gloria Allred will be filing a legal brief tomorrow in the 4th Circuit Court accusing Donald J Trump with malicious groping of 7 stalks of celery. She is representing the collective victimized group and will chronicle their captivity in a hot house by farmhands until the assaults. CNN reports Joe Biden and AOC are terribly upset!!!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Last week, a Native American botanist argued that the genetic modification of crops is a form of rape. Perhaps the next step in the #MeToo movement involves returning to the low crop yields before the Green Revolution, which saved billions of lives by making food more available through genetic modification, among other things.

Robin Wall Kimmerer, a botanist, member of the Citizen Potawatomi Nation, and director of the Center for Native Peoples and the Environment at SUNY-Syracuse, called corn "one of our deepest and oldest relatives." In an interview with Wisconsin Public Radio, she humanized corn as the "Corn Mother," saying, "Corn is sacred because she gives us her children in return for protecting us."

Kimmerer wasn't talking about the sweet corn Americans love to eat today, but rather the native corn that comes in hundreds of varieties. She contrasted this wild corn with the genetically modified corn her neighbor grows.

"There’s a word for forcible injection of unwanted genes," Kimmerer said. "Rape."

https://pjmedia.com/trending/genetic-modification-of-crops-is-rape-botanist-says/
Interesting.. wasn't it Native Americans that gave us our FIRST GMO food.. Corn?

BOP

Why did I know there was an XX chromosome pairing?