GMP cable help!

dum_blonde

ARGH

Okay, I saw this special being advertised about a month ago for $60 or $70/month for GMP cable and cable internet package, so I called in late May and asked about it, and they told me that our area had to have the fiber optic cable put down first. Okay, that just happened this week, and I called them back and they said the package deal is over. Does anyone else have this package, or a cheaper way to get TV and broadband internet?

Two things you can do.

Wait until you receive a direct mail piece or notice an advertisement in the local newspaper

or

Call and ask what specials they have. They may have something that's close to what you received before.

I don't think they have a direct sales department anymore and I'm pretty sure their offers are few and far between.

You could call and speak w/ the Customer Service Manager and ask nicely about getting hooked up w/ a good deal because you JUST missed the special that was advertised. Perhaps ask why you received the special offer in the mail when your area wasn't upgraded yet to begin with. What a waste of advertising $$'s.

More than likely your upgrade was late getting completed to begin with!

:shrug:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by CableChick

More than likely your upgrade was late getting completed to begin with!

:shrug:
Yeah considering they are doing a 3 year rebuild in a little over a year:rolleyes:

3 year goal done in 1 year? WOW!!! Maybe everyone they service will have 1/3 of the channels I get at a price point that is compairable to what I pay.

:biggrin:

Not to be mean, but I've not known anything they do to be completed early.

P

Pighead

:yikes:

I snatched an "i" not a snatch!

Don't reel me into that fantasy!

Wow...that sounds like a weird fetish....snatching i's.......

fe·tish

c : an object or bodily part whose real or fantasied presence is psychologically necessary for sexual gratification and that is an object of fixation to the extent that it may interfere with complete sexual expression

Snatching a letter of the alphabet is not my thing. I'm fairly confident that nothing intereferes with my complete sexual expression.

Now toes are another thing!

DarbyOhara

Musician
my opinion...

My personal opinion is that if you can get DSL, go with that!

DSL is cheaper, you have an independant connection and since I have a network within my residence, I feel it is more reliable.

Cable costs too much and you are on a shared platform (the IP decides the number within each group)... and it's growing, so that means the connections are getting overwhelmed and at times, very slow.

Unfortunately I am in an area (a bit south of Lex Park) that I can't get DSL.. nor do they have any plans to upgrade in that area... so I am stuck with cable... for now. Satellite is not an option and wireless needs another few years before it's acceptable.

The problem with GMP cable and their Internet is their forced bundling. You *must* purchase the upper channels to get the Internet. You *must* purchase the basic package in order to get the upper channels. I wrote to the FCC inquiring about this and they responded by saying that the local franchising authority ("LFA") will adopt and enforce the standards. That would be the state and county... so we are screwed there....

If you get a deal, look for your monthly bill to be 80 plus after that! good luck!

I experience no slow downs and hear nothing but kudos from everyone that has a cable modem. www.dslreports.com is a great source of information. You can even do a performance test for uploads and downloads. There are several tests there actually. I for one would pick a cable modem over DSL anyday ... and not just because I work for a cable company!

CMC122

Go Braves!
I experience no slow downs and hear nothing but kudos from everyone that has a cable modem. www.dslreports.com is a great source of information. You can even do a performance test for uploads and downloads. There are several tests there actually. I for one would pick a cable modem over DSL anyday ... and not just because I work for a cable company!
:yeahthat:

Broke90GSX

My cable connection hasn't been all that slow. Albeit if it rains funny, then we have no connection. There's no way I'm going back to dial-up though, so for now I'll just take the high-speed w/ sh#tty cable channels & picture.

Rob

DarbyOhara

Musician
hmmm...

You give absolutely no basis for your statement...

I explained plainly why DSL is better than Cable, especially in this county and especially with GMPexpress. The person originally asked about deals with the cable. I personally never heard of deals with the cable Internet here, but I wasn't looking. I only gave my opinion, experience and knowledge of the area. If you work for this cable company, instead of just saying you prefer cable to arbitrate my writeup, why not give your reasons for that statement. Again, here is mine:

Facts:

1. DSL IS cheaper in this county. 50 or less for DSL versus 80 plus for cable.

2. DSL connection is not shared anywhere... cable is shared. enof said!

3. GMP is a monopoly in this county and you get what they offer only. Verizon is a telephone monopoly, but DSL is available from a variety of companies IF the DSL is available to your home and phone. And my personal advice and experience is to check out Earthlink.

4. Personal experience of having both in this county over a 5 year period is, DSL rules over Cable for quality and connectivity. The cable connection around here has improved within the past year, but personally I feel it isn't that realiable compared to DSL. I run a network and some connections do power uploads and downloads, so I don't need websites to tell me my connection quality. My network would have DSL if it was available.

5. It is much easier to expand or run phone lines in the house than cable lines. Word of advice, if you run cable lines, be sure to purchase quality 1ghz or better adapters, otherwise look for decrease in connectivity.

6. Last but not least, the DSL usually provides you with the modem, this cable company allows you to purchase one or RENT their cheapy modems, which I believe is about 10 bucks more a month... you choose!

thank you....

Last edited:

mAlice

professional daydreamer

I have no problems with my cable modem to speak of. Sure, it has gone out during storms. Occasionally I have to reset the IP or shut down the whole network, no big deal.

I'm not paying $80. a month. :confused:

Re: hmmm...

Originally posted by DarbyOhara
You give absolutely no basis for your statement...

I explained plainly why DSL is better than Cable, especially in this county and especially with GMPexpress. The person originally asked about deals with the cable. I personally never heard of deals with the cable Internet here, but I wasn't looking. I only gave my opinion, experience and knowledge of the area. If you work for this cable company, instead of just saying you prefer cable to arbitrate my writeup, why not give your reasons for that statement. Again, here is mine:

Facts:

1. DSL IS cheaper in this county. 50 or less for DSL versus 80 plus for cable.

2. DSL connection is not shared anywhere... cable is shared. enof said!

3. GMP is a monopoly in this county and you get what they offer only. Verizon is a telephone monopoly, but DSL is available from a variety of companies IF the DSL is available to your home and phone. And my personal advice and experience is to check out Earthlink.

4. Personal experience of having both in this county over a 5 year period is, DSL rules over Cable for quality and connectivity. The cable connection around here has improved within the past year, but personally I feel it isn't that realiable compared to DSL. I run a network and some connections do power uploads and downloads, so I don't need websites to tell me my connection quality. My network would have DSL if it was available.

5. It is much easier to expand or run phone lines in the house than cable lines. Word of advice, if you run cable lines, be sure to purchase quality 1ghz or better adapters, otherwise look for decrease in connectivity.

6. Last but not least, the DSL usually provides you with the modem, this cable company allows you to purchase one or RENT their cheapy modems, which I believe is about 10 bucks more a month... you choose!

thank you....

Dude! You are stressed! Get a life.

I was merely stating MY OPINION as were you. I didn't get ugly, as you just did.

To be honest, I work for Comcast. And love the service. DSL is NOT as good as cable modem. You think different. Fine. Get over it.

I go wireless. I run a network as well. Big deal.

Have a nice day.

DarbyOhara

Musician
Originally posted by mAlice

I have no problems with my cable modem to speak of. Sure, it has gone out during storms. Occasionally I have to reset the IP or shut down the whole network, no big deal.

I'm not paying $80. a month. :confused:

You're not paying 80 plus a month? How do you figure that?

13 for basic cable... <---- MUST have

20 something for upper channels... <--- MUST have

50 something for Internet....

Wanna add them up again?