GMP cable help!

Cletus_Vandam

Satellite???

There hasn’t been any mention of satellite internet service. I have Dish satellite service now and wouldn’t change it for the world. There football package alone is what’s keep me with them.

But what about their internet service??? There charge $59 a month if you fork out the $500 for the dish and modem. I am looking for broadband, and since cable requires you be a cable subscriber, they're out; and DSL isn’t in my area. So I don’t think there’s any other choice other than satellite, or is there?

DarbyOhara

Musician
Re: Satellite???

Originally posted by Cletus_Vandam
There hasn’t been any mention of satellite internet service. I have Dish satellite service now and wouldn’t change it for the world. There football package alone is what’s keep me with them.

But what about their internet service??? There charge $59 a month if you fork out the $500 for the dish and modem. I am looking for broadband, and since cable requires you be a cable subscriber, they're out; and DSL isn’t in my area. So I don’t think there’s any other choice other than satellite, or is there?

I mentioned that satellite was not an option in my first post.

If you read your fine print on your contract you'll find that the more bytes that are transferred through the system from/to you, the slower your connection becomes. This was a well documented fact and you can find many related articles to this if you search. If just checking email, surfing for a project or chatting on here is all one would do on the net, then satellite is ok... but with the limitations, I'd be better off with a dialup. If you can't find it written in your contract (lawyers play with words), just call them and ask... There isn't a satellite service out there that doesn't do this... besides, all the services use ONE satellite. Yep, they all share the same satellite up there regardless which IP you have service with. So that is why they have serious restrictions. To prevent bandwidth hogs, like me! :cheers:

Depending on where you live, southern maryland has wireless for certain areas. http://www.somdwireless.com/ However, I am not sure I would trust them either. According to their coverage map, my home is well within it's greyed covered area, but when I wrote and inquired, they wrote back and stated they don't cover St Indigo area.... sheesh, they can't even read a map! I am not that far south and not far from gate 2.

Danzig

Re: Satellite???

For TV I have Direct TV (also 3 Direct Tivos) I love it. I have the Sat. and and all hardware, (I would sell cheap) that just came off a friend of mines house (he got DSL) lucky him. For internet I have wireless from www.somdwireless.com I refuse to pay the CRAPTASTIC CABLE company GMP any more money cause they SUCK............

Cletus_Vandam

satelitte

So let me get this right, if I go with satelitte internet, my connection is going to be as slow as dial-up, and I'll get out of it is a higher monthly rate for service and and expensive hung of "metal" on the roof?

What type of transfer rate can I expect? dial-up, I'm getting like 37 kps and that's, way too sloooowwwwwww.....

I'm out of the area for the wireless and no DSL yet, what's left?

Toxick

Splat
Re: lol...

Originally posted by DarbyOhara
Of course, this thread... shows perhaps I should have asked the question and moved on... I did read through a bunch before and .. same ole same ole...

Well, I, personally, am glad you stopped by and hung around for a spell.

I always find that it's a breath of fresh air when someone rolls on in, assumes a condescending tone to anyone and everyone, becomes generally insulting, and acts like an all around Grade-A dicknose, and then loudly complains because everyone else has an attitude.

I'll bet you're great fun at parties.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Re: Re: lol...

Originally posted by Toxick

I always find that it's a breath of fresh air when someone rolls on in, assumes a condescending tone to anyone and everyone, becomes generally insulting, and acts like an all around Grade-A dicknose, and then loudly complains because everyone else has an attitude.

:roflmao:

:cheers:

Danzig

I for one am glad to see Darby here. (I don't know him at all)

But THIS PLACE was and is full of condescending all around Grade-A dicknose's that are generally insulting and have attitudes. long before DarbyOhara got here.

Darby, I'll invite you to my next party. :cheers: or a few beers.

DarbyOhara

Musician

Ditto! :boo:

Toxick

Splat
Re: Re: Re: lol...

Ditto! :boo:

Little boy, is that the best you could come up with?

That may be the saddest damn thing I've seen all day.

Just as well. I don't have the time to mess around with snot-nosed smart alacky children anyway.

DarbyOhara

Musician
Re: Re: Re: Re: lol...

Little boy, is that the best you could come up with?

lol... Typical cyber bully. Toxic, oh boy! I suppose you feel all rough n tough sitting behind a keyboard, flexin those keys on the keyboard, just ready to beat me up on the Internet... my oh my.... :barf:

That may be the saddest damn thing I've seen all day.

Just as well. I don't have the time to mess around with snot-nosed smart alacky children anyway.

:confused:

Oh... I know. "You mess with them little girls... you mess wif me? "

Let see, you are just ready to jump into action... just to impress them.

Why not try this. Drink a beer... :cheers: (if you're old enough... :crazy:). and relax... otherwise those veins in your forehead will stay that strained if you keep that up!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: lol...

lol... Typical cyber bully. Toxic, oh boy! I suppose you feel all rough n tough sitting behind a keyboard, flexin those keys on the keyboard, just ready to beat me up on the Internet... my oh my.... :barf:

:confused:

Why not try this. Drink a beer... :cheers: (if you're old enough... :crazy:). and relax... otherwise those veins in your forehead will stay that strained if you keep that up!

:loser:

You know Darby, you started all this crap. You can dish it out but you can't take it.

Enough already.

Move on!

C

cmdrfunk

Originally posted by dum_blonde
ARGH

Okay, I saw this special being advertised about a month ago for $60 or $70/month for GMP cable and cable internet package, so I called in late May and asked about it, and they told me that our area had to have the fiber optic cable put down first. Okay, that just happened this week, and I called them back and they said the package deal is over. Does anyone else have this package, or a cheaper way to get TV and broadband internet?

Verizon DSL is faster and cheaper than cable in this area.

TV is crap. Read some books; Average Joe 7 will work out fine without you.

Love,

Sally

Toxick

Splat
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: lol...

Just shoveling the same bullshit you are, my friend. I was just using the same diminutive tone that you were. Apparently, you don't like it, or else you wouldn't be waving your fingers going, "ooohhh, I'm sooo scared."

If you don't like playground tactics, perhaps you shouldn't engage in them.

Nope. I just think you're a braying jackass, and I wanted you to know it.

Cletus_Vandam

With all that testosterone flowing everyone missed my question regarding the satelitte (bottom of the third page).

Any help or suggestions?

mainman

Set Trippin
With all that testosterone flowing everyone missed my question regarding the satelitte (bottom of the third page).

Any help or suggestions?
Ok, I have remote locations that require internet access. We went the satelitte route, it was a waste of time and money. Save your money and try something else.

Last edited:

DarbyOhara

Musician
ok...

Any help or suggestions?

Ok Cletus... I'll attempt to respond to your concerns and try to get this thread back into something normal... unless the creepy crawlers wanna butt in with more puke....

Satellite is fine, but an expensive option for high speed internet. The fine print with each contract (something they won't tell the average customer, unless the specifically ask) is that your connection speed is based on your useage (bandwidth). If you are planning to use the Internet for just basic surfing, checking email and such... this option is just fine (but expensive).

However, if you plan on doing alot of upload/download of bytes (Usenet, mp3, Peer to Peer, FTP, etc.) this is not a good option because: your bandwidth and speed is reduced with the more you send/receive or upload/download. If you do alot of the upload and download (like we do), your expensive connection could be reduced to worse than a dialup (depending on your useage). The satellite IPs have to do this because there is only one satellite up in orbit for all satellite IPs to share. If you start hogging the bandwidth, this would interrupt and cause conflict with the thousands of other customers. There is talk of NASA allowing more crafts, but my feeling is that this won't happen for a few more years. Even then, I would predict they will always keep those restrictions because of the limitations of bandwidth.

If DSL, cable or wireless is not available where you live, stick with dialup and perhaps look into the accelerated connection that netzero.com or earthlink.com offer.

I hope I made things a bit clearer this time....