• Bachelors - Business Management

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Don't bother - neither of them will get you more $$$

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • It's too late in life - don't waste the money

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

johnjrval424

I've decided, at the age of 42 (I'm not ashamed!), to pursue my Bachelor's Degree. I've enrolled at College of Southern Maryland and will transfer to University of Maryland (University College) to get my Bachelors in Business Administration - but may change that option to Technical Management or Management.

Does anyone think I am crazy for doing this? I'm hoping that, once I get out, I will still be young enough to pursue a career utilizing this degree that is going to put me in debt for 16k or more. That's the tough part for me - recouping the investment.

Is there more emphasis placed on one over the other? BBA, BBM? Is this a waste of my time?

bcp

In My Opinion
I dont think its crazy at all.
the only people that would make fun of you or think it was crazy would be the uneducated to start with.

camily

Peace
I've decided, at the age of 42 (I'm not ashamed!), to pursue my Bachelor's Degree. I've enrolled at College of Southern Maryland and will transfer to University of Maryland (University College) to get my Bachelors in Business Administration - but may change that option to Technical Management or Management.

Does anyone think I am crazy for doing this? I'm hoping that, once I get out, I will still be young enough to pursue a career utilizing this degree that is going to put me in debt for 16k or more. That's the tough part for me - recouping the investment.

Is there more emphasis placed on one over the other? BBA, BBM? Is this a waste of my time?

Not at all. My husband is 38 and in his 4th and final year. :yahoo:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

No, it's never too late. I didn't get my bachelor's degree from UMUC until I was in my mid 30's. And yes, you will recoup that money albeit it may take a few years to get the experience to go with the degree that gets you the earning power.

Both are good solid degree programs with lots of opportunity but the best one depends on what you want to do with it. If you're going to go into a technical field, then the obvious choice is the Technical Management track.

johnjrval424

Not at all - I think that's wonderful!

What degree you pursue really depends on what type of work you do.
Thanks! To you, too, bcp!

I am in administrative work right now. I would be looking for a management position in either a legal setting or administrative (i.e., State government). I am currently employed by the State of Maryland and would like to just pursue options through the State so I don't lose my benefits.

It seems that every position posted requires at least a Bachelors. To me, it doesn't make sense sometimes because I have 20+ years experience doing admin work (both legal and non-legal). However, some people think that having that degree makes a huge difference when, in fact, a person with "experience" can bring a lot more to the table.

Hopefully, when I get done with school, I'll bring both! :yahoo:

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
<---UMUC grad

I still haven't opened my degree since it came in the mail. Good luck with classes. I'm not sure which BS would help you more, but I would talk to an advisor. :)

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly

I think that's great! If you try for nothing that's exactly what you end up with. One of my brothers-in -law just got his degree and he is 55. Best of luck to you!

S

Special_K44

Returning to school

Goodness, get as much education as you possibly can for as long as you can. yes, it will always help you get more $$$.