Going out of business: Ascena Retail Group closing all of its nearly 650 Dressbarn stores

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Another brick and mortar retailer bites the dust. Ughhh, buying clothes online is one of the worst experiences, although I buy most of my clothes online because local stores are so limited in quality, inventory and sizes (and I have expensive taste in some items).

You just can't tell what you're getting until you can hold it in your hands. I don't know about women's clothing (no jokes, please), but one size is not one size. Gotta try on a range of sizes to get the one that fits right. So, what are you going to do, buy 3 sizes and pay to return the other 2?

Anxious to see who solves this problem.

Does anyone remember Britches of Georgetown? I loved that store.

So, who is going to pickup the business from Dressbarn?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Dress Barn sucks. Overpriced cheap clothing. Good riddance. Remember Fashion Bug? That was another one with expensive cheap crap.

I hate clothes and most of my wardrobe comes from Goodwill or Old Navy. The only thing I lay down money on is really good footwear.

although I buy most of my clothes online because local stores are so limited in quality, inventory and sizes (and I have expensive taste in some items).

DC has great shopping. Make it a weekend trip and enjoy the city. Also NYC is 3 hours away by train.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Another brick and mortar retailer bites the dust. Ughhh, buying clothes online is one of the worst experiences, although I buy most of my clothes online because local stores are so limited in quality, inventory and sizes (and I have expensive taste in some items).

You just can't tell what you're getting until you can hold it in your hands. I don't know about women's clothing (no jokes, please), but one size is not one size. Gotta try on a range of sizes to get the one that fits right. So, what are you going to do, buy 3 sizes and pay to return the other 2?

Anxious to see who solves this problem.

Does anyone remember Britches of Georgetown? I loved that store.

So, who is going to pickup the business from Dressbarn?
I used to shop at Dressbarn quite a bit but over the years the quality went WAY down and the prices up. I rarely buy clothes online since it is a crap shoot on size, fit, and quality. There can be a vast difference in sizes between one brand and another, and oftentimes within that brand. My sister swears by DressLily but I have never tried them. The only online store I had luck with was Coldwater Creek as they were consistent in their sizes and quality, but you paid for it dearly. I know Amazon is touting their clothing now via Amazon Wardrobe and I may try it out. It is for Prime members only and lets you order and try up to 8 clothing pieces before you buy. Anything you don't keep you send back free of charge.

I don't know what if anything will take its place but all the women's only clothing stores around here are closed and/or closing: Fashion Bug, Cato's, and Dressbarn. There are still department store options like JCP, Kohl's, Belk, and the like, or the discount retailers like Walmart and Target.

And yes, I remember Britches. Great store! They are trying to revive the brand with Britches Bespoke, a flagship store in NYC with plans to later expand to an online buying presence.