Gold Overlay

B

Bronwyn

I have a neat pair of cheap ear rings that are "sterling silver". I would like to have them gold, but haven't been able to find them in gold for less than $500.

A co worker told me there are two ways to turn mine gold. One is gold overlay he said it's dipped in like 10k gold. The other way uses electricity, a process detail shops use to change silver to gold.

My question is... Can I do this myself? Would Michaels or Walmart sell a do it yourself gold dip?

OR

If I have to go to a jewler, will it cost an arm and a leg?

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
I have a neat pair of cheap ear rings that are "sterling silver". I would like to have them gold, but haven't been able to find them in gold for less than $500.

A co worker told me there are two ways to turn mine gold. One is gold overlay he said it's dipped in like 10k gold. The other way uses electricity, a process detail shops use to change silver to gold.

My question is... Can I do this myself? Would Michaels or Walmart sell a do it yourself gold dip?

OR

I don't know if this answers your question or not, but I once took a yellow gold ring to Blair's Jewelers and had it dipped in white gold (rhodium maybe?) and they charged me $20.

OR

PROFESSIONAL Gold Plater: Gold Plating Service

B

Bronwyn

Wow. Not as expensive as I Thought. Guess it is realistic to just pay a pro :dye:

Cletus_Vandam

$4.00 can of Krylon will work. Just go beat up some punk teen who's huffin' a can. I think they always use gold anyhows.... :buddies:

Seriously though, my guess with the real gold plating is that if you want real gold, now is the worst time to think about plating... with gold costing over $1300 an ounce.

Wait until the Republicans get things back in order and get the economy straightened out for gold to drop back in the $750 range and then go get it done.

rich70

STEELERS NATION!!

OR

I'll just buy you a real gold pair. :love: