Golden Corral

BOP

MWR - Morale, Welfare & Recreation.

What the Recruiter Never Told You -- Part 14, MWR Activities

Nonappropriated Fund Activities, otherwise known as Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR) activities, these used to be a significant benefit. Up until the mid-80s, the services were allowed to use appropriated funds (i.e., taxpayer's money) to support these functions. One used to be able to go into the NCO (Petty Officer) Club and get a beer for 35 cents. A game of bowling cost 30 cents. Child Care cost 50 cents per hour (and the Child Care Centers were open until midnight!).

Then, almost overnight, Congress terminated almost all appropriated fund support. Congress's stated opinion was that most MWR activities should make a profit, or at the very least, should not operate in the red. Congress, in effect, said "If it loses money, then close it down."

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House

Nonappropriated Fund Activities, otherwise known as Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR) activities, these used to be a significant benefit. Up until the mid-80s, the services were allowed to use appropriated funds (i.e., taxpayer's money) to support these functions. One used to be able to go into the NCO (Petty Officer) Club and get a beer for 35 cents. A game of bowling cost 30 cents. Child Care cost 50 cents per hour (and the Child Care Centers were open until midnight!).

Then, almost overnight, Congress terminated almost all appropriated fund support. Congress's stated opinion was that most MWR activities should make a profit, or at the very least, should not operate in the red. Congress, in effect, said "If it loses money, then close it down."

What does this have to do with the Golden Corral?

C

czygvtwkr

Not that I disagree, but has anyone actually gotten sick from it?

Hard to say, isolating food borne illnesses is really difficult. A lot of people get sick after eating and then blame what they just ate but that usually isn't the case as food poisoning can take from hours to days to develop.

Natron0915

Hard to say, isolating food borne illnesses is really difficult. A lot of people get sick after eating and then blame what they just ate but that usually isn't the case as food poisoning can take from hours to days to develop.

I get it... I just can't imagine it's worse than any other salad bar or buffet...who knows what hands have been in what dish...I think if you go to a place like GC then you're making an assumption of risk. BTW, I love taking my boys there....lot's of choices and no waiting on food...Thanks for the info!

C

czygvtwkr

I get it... I just can't imagine it's worse than any other salad bar or buffet...who knows what hands have been in what dish...I think if you go to a place like GC then you're making an assumption of risk. BTW, I love taking my boys there....lot's of choices and no waiting on food...Thanks for the info!

Where i think those machines are especially bad is I cant imagine how they clean them out, do they ever get cleaned out? At least a pan that they throw chicken nuggets in can get washed every day (hopefully).

FED_UP

I saw a bunch of cars there last night, and it looked like people where stuffing there face and I was not invited. Maybe it was for the workers and families doing a dry run.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
I saw a bunch of cars there last night, and it looked like people where stuffing there face and I was not invited. Maybe it was for the workers and families doing a dry run.

This is great news. I can't wait to go there for dinner tomorrow night. This is going to be my new go to dinner spot

Pete

Repete

The clubs took the biggest hit. In the mid 80's they were trying to cut down on alcohol dependency rates, DUI's and alcohol related discipline problems...........while subsidizing .......alcohol.

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr

I saw a line of people outside the front door yesterday around 4 pm. The sign said that there was a "training in progress".

itsbob

I bowl overhand
All restaurants have to follow Health Department rules.

No they don't. Nobody HAS to follow any rules or laws, you just have to weigh the risk of getting caught vice the money saved (or gained) by not following the law. If you're going to save $1500 a month by not cleaning out the chocolate fountain, and the fine is $250 IF you get caught.. guess what's not going to be cleaned every day.

Last edited: