Goldfinches

OldHillcrestGuy

Was wondering do they migrate south in the winter? I bought a goldfinch feeder back in late September never had one before and put the thistle feed in it and they just flocked to it, a dozen at a time. Now I havent seen one in about 2 weeks or longer, so I assume they went south and I can put the feeder away.:shrug:

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
Was wondering do they migrate south in the winter?

Remember when your goldfinches disappear that goldfinches are facultative migrants. This means that their migration is based on factors in the environment and not on an obligation to migrate like those birds that must migrate in order to survive. Which is a fancy way of saying that even though they have left your feeders they can come back at any time. I haven't seen any for a couple of weeks but I know from experience that from tome to time a few will show up beautiful in their summer suits. I always keep some food in the thistle feeder and mix a little in the other feeders so that if they are around they will visit.

Goldfinch migration

SweetThang

Was wondering do they migrate south in the winter? I bought a goldfinch feeder back in late September never had one before and put the thistle feed in it and they just flocked to it, a dozen at a time. Now I havent seen one in about 2 weeks or longer, so I assume they went south and I can put the feeder away.:shrug:

I have plenty of Goldfinches-they have "lost" their bright yellow (gold) plumage and are now rusty:lmao:
They're still out there OHG, just gotta look for em! Good luck.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I have plenty of Goldfinches-they have "lost" their bright yellow (gold) plumage and are now rusty:lmao:
They're still out there OHG, just gotta look for em! Good luck.

:yeahthat: My thistle feeder hangs all year.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
:yeahthat: My thistle feeder hangs all year.

I have thistle feeders at home and at work I put sunflower meat in my feeders. They stick around all year, just not as brightly colored. I haven't seen any in a few weeks at work, but they'll be back. They always come back. Maybe they are building their winter nests or something right now, but I always have tons of them at work during the winter. Keep the food out and don't let it get moldy.

SpriteZero

I too hang thistle socks...and see a few now and then. You are right, they are no longer bright yellow..and I look forward to seeing thier spring colors!!
Beautiful birds!

OldHillcrestGuy

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep it hanging all winter. They are really pretty birds with there bright yellow colors, IMO, the goldfinch, the bluebird and the cardinal, and maybe the bluejay are the most attractive birds in this area.

D

dems4me

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep it hanging all winter. They are really pretty birds with there bright yellow colors, IMO, the goldfinch, the bluebird and the cardinal, and maybe the bluejay are the most attractive birds in this area.

You forgot indigo buntings :biggrin:

Attachments

• indigo2.JPG
    indigo2.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 314

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Was having lunch at my parent's house one day and the bird bath outside the window was full of goldfinches. My dad made some comment about all the pretty parakeets so everybody looked at the bird bath. Right then a hawk swooped in and blasted one of the finches. Big puff of yellow feathers and then he sat on the ground ripped him apart and ate him.
Pretty cool lunch :yay:

D

dems4me

Where does that bird come from, never seen one of those myself in SoMd.

Same with the grosbeck.

That picture was from my backyard feeder - it's currently my desk top :lol:. I had 4 or 5 of the blue males at one time this year - two sets had babies... :clap: so I had little one's too!! Those are just the males. Here's some other pictures... I don't have many here on this computer.

Attachments

• indigo6.JPG
    indigo6.JPG
    3.7 KB · Views: 320
  • indigo7.JPG
    indigo7.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 325
  • indigo8.JPG
    indigo8.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 291
  • indigo-12.JPG
    indigo-12.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 350
  • indigo-14.JPG
    indigo-14.JPG
    4.7 KB · Views: 289

Rael

Supper's Ready
I've only seen an Indigo Bunting a couple of times, and the Rose breasted grosbeaks only in the spring. Usually there are two, and they hang out at the feeder regularly for only a couple of weeks. Then I don't see them until the next spring. Maybe my choice of bird seed isn't their favorite. Nice pics, all. :yay:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08

Get some peanuts in the shells. You'll be BOMBARDED with bluejays and titmice. I used to line them up all along our deck, but them make a real mess. I'll start doing that again this winter when they need extra food. It is incredible how many jays you will have swooping down for peanuts. I used to buy them at BJ's but I gave up the membership. The cheapest place I have found for peanuts is Shoppers Food Warehouse. Get 3 pounds and enjoy watching them.

OldHillcrestGuy

Get some peanuts in the shells. You'll be BOMBARDED with bluejays and titmice. I used to line them up all along our deck, but them make a real mess. I'll start doing that again this winter when they need extra food. It is incredible how many jays you will have swooping down for peanuts. I used to buy them at BJ's but I gave up the membership. The cheapest place I have found for peanuts is Shoppers Food Warehouse. Get 3 pounds and enjoy watching them.

Mr. Squirrel and the rest of his family would have a fest with the peanuts before the bluejays would even have a chance to notice them.