Good column about "Motha" Stewart

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
http://www.freep.com/sports/albom/mitch23e_20051023.htm

She said something that stunned me. She said her "naysayers" were more women than men and that was "because a lot of women who feel inadequate are journalists."

Huh?

"They probably spend their time being journalists and not being homemakers ..." she said. "I think they feel inadequate. ... That's why they criticize the lovely things we do."

Now, I am not a woman. But I am a journalist. And I know many female journalists. And they are hardly inadequate. And they certainly harbor no anger for not being full-time homemakers.

Besides, Martha isn't a homemaker, either. She's a homemaker industry. If someone told her all she could do was make the recipes she sold or pay for the sheets she designed, she might say, "Who are you to keep me down?"

I don't know how women feel about "inadequate" but as a guy, them's fighting words.
While I knew that Martha is controversial, I didn't think it had to do with homemakers vs. non-homemakers.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
She said her "naysayers" were more women than men and that was "because a lot of women who feel inadequate are journalists."
The reason more of her naysayers are women is because women realize that what she's touting is impossible to accomplish. It has nothing to do with "homemakers vs. career women".

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
vraiblonde said:
The reason more of her naysayers are women is because women realize that what she's touting is impossible to accomplish. It has nothing to do with "homemakers vs. career women".
I agree. It's really about her arrogance.