Good ISP for dial-up

Y

yornoc

I signed up for spearnet's (http://www.spearnet.net/) ISP service back in December and have had no problems since.  I particularly like it because it is a nationwide network with local access numbers in most U.S. cities.  Last month I traveled to Cincinnati, OH and was able to get online with my laptop by dialing a local number there.  The service is $12.75 per month and you need no special software.  If you already have a computer (with a modem), all you need  is a browser and a phone-line.

Another good ISP in the Lex. Park/California area is TQCI(http://home.tqci.net/) .  I was with them for 2 years before going to Spearnet.   I left TQCI because Spearnet's network gives me access to the internet while I'm traveling within the US.  If it wasn't for that, I would still be with them.:cheers:

I just thought I would share this since I had a bad experience with OLG :burning:

(Edited by yornoc at 4:57 pm on April 10, 2002)

Thanks for the info.  I was with OLG for 3 years, but didn't renew when my account expired last month.  It was taking me 10 minutes or more to get connected during peak hours, and when I did get connected I was extremely lucky to get a connection above 48k.  According to Comcast's website, cable modem service is finally available in my area.  If that's incorrect, I'll look into the two ISPs you mentioned.

Y

yornoc

grizmonkey on 10:04 am on April 11, 2002[br]Thanks for the info.  I was with OLG for 3 years, but didn't renew when my account expired last month.  It was taking me 10 minutes or more to get connected during peak hours, and when I did get connected I was extremely lucky to get a connection above 48k.  According to Comcast's website, cable modem service is finally available in my area.  If that's incorrect, I'll look into the two ISPs you mentioned.

What area are you in?  I'm in Lusby (CRE) and I heard that we "finally" have high speed internet service.  I have not signed up as yet 'cause I once signed up (when I lived in St. Marys County) and the darn thing never worked.  They finally told me that it was due to "excess noise" on the lines in my area.  As a result of that experience, I won't sign up for any until I get a good report from a subscriber.

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
I have comcast high speed internet and it never works!!!:dosman:  I'm thinking about getting rid of it!  And the cable never worked here either.  I live in waldorf, so it's all over!!

Y

yornoc

missi1013 on 2:27 pm on April 11, 2002[br]I have comcast high speed internet and it never works!!!:dosman:  I'm thinking about getting rid of it!  And the cable never worked here either.  I live in waldorf, so it's all over!!

What excuse have "Concast" given you?
They are in Calvert and  I will NOT sign up until I here that the service  is good.

yornoc - I live in northern St Mary's, near Golden Beach.  My area is in the section of the county that is serviced by Comcast of Calvert, rather than GMP.  I suppose I should wait to hear some feedback from others in my area.  Since my OLG expired, I'm dialing in through work now and just waiting for them to bust me on it.

Anyone out there who lives in northern St Mary's and have a Comcast cable modem?

Y

yornoc

grizmonkey on 7:58 am on April 12, 2002[br]yornoc - I live in northern St Mary's, near Golden Beach.  My area is in the section of the county that is serviced by Comcast of Calvert, rather than GMP.  I suppose I should wait to hear some feedback from others in my area.  Since my OLG expired, I'm dialing in through work now and just waiting for them to bust me on it.

Anyone out there who lives in northern St Mary's and have a Comcast cable modem?

I know a few peope with Comcast service who LOVE it... The omly problem is that they are in PG and the other northern Counties.  I have not heard anything good about Southern Maryland's service so I'm still holding out.

I sure hope more people come forward and share their experiences...the good, the bad, the ugly!

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
yornoc,  

Here's the bad and maybe ugly.  I live in Waldorf and have comcast.  The stupid thing doesn't work more times than it does.  I hear every excuss from we are upgrading or lines(which if they are, they have been doing it for the last 2 years!!!!)  To the lines coming into the box are damaged.  I even called one time and said that all of Waldorf, DC, and Northern Vir. was out.  And all they tell you is were sorry and were working on it as fast as we can. Well it took them a week one time to fix it!!!  I'm not sure how it is in your area, it might not be bad.  My brother-in-law has comcast and he lives in LaPlata, and he dosen't have any problems.  I hope I have been of some help.  But as for people living in Waldorf, it SUCKS!!!

Currently I have Erols, aka Starpower, for dial-up service - I'm in Hollywood.  I've never had a problem with them - other than the speed limitiation imposed by the modem.  But on Tuesday, I'm taking the plunge into the unknown - I'm having GMP install cable modem service.  Mainly to free up the telephones rather than have a third phone line installed. On call at work, a fifteen year old, and a dial up ISP = 3 phone lines.  

I've read some of the horror stories about GMP posted earlier, but I'm hoping time has given them a chance to get their act together.  Besides, I was always one to "learn the hard way". Stay tuned,  after about a week I'll report back on the installation, setup, and service.

Ok, it's Tuesday night, and I now have cable modem service courtesy of GMP Express.

Here's what I can tell you about it.  First and foremost, I'm up and running, and running fast. About 450k download time and about 420k upload time - a far cry from the 53k I was getting from dial up. However, this was at 10:30am. I suspect it will be somewhat slower during peak times.

The GMP rep arrived at the house about 10am. I was scheduled for morning service. No complaints from me on the arrival time.

The service rep was at the house for about twenty minutes max. He had me connected in about 5 minutes. We talked shop the other fifteen, and   he was very helpful. I had saved some installation time - last night I had already added a splitter and ran a cable to the area I wanted to place the cable modem.

So, all in all, a painless, even pleasant experience.

Here's some additional info I collected:
GMP Expresss does required cable modem users to be subscribers of expanded cable TV service. I didn't ask why - I'm already a subscriber, so it doesn't affect me.

Minimum system requirements for your PC: 166mhz pentium/compatible processor with 32mb ram and win95 or better. NT, Mac, and Apple also supported.

I have two-way service. There are some areas of the county that still have one-way. I'm in the Clark's Landing area of Hollywood.  Upgrades are in progress, but you'll need to call GMP to determine what's available in your area.

GMP is preparing to upgrade to the DOCSIS cable modem standard(see www.docsis.org) - a process that may take up to two years. Once GMP is DOCSIS-compliant, you'll be able to buy your own DOCSIS-compliant cable modem to replace their rented unit. You could buy you own cable modem today, but it'll be of no use after the conversion.

I hope this information is useful. Maybe it will at least give you ideas for the right questions to ask of GMP.

Happy Surfing!

DarbyOhara

Musician
Ok, it's Tuesday night, and I now have cable modem service courtesy of GMP Express.

Here's what I can tell you about it.  First and foremost, I'm up and running, and running fast. About 450k download time and about 420k upload time - a far cry from the 53k I was getting from dial up. However, this was at 10:30am. I suspect it will be somewhat slower during peak times.

StillCrazy, thanks for the review, but I think the people's comments were related to reliability of service.  I had GMP (formerly HSA) cable from Jan 2000 through Oct 2000... and then i moved and switched to DSL... I had nothing but problems with the service over that period of time.  The service was OFF more than it was on.  I lived in central Lex Park then.  I researched with the parent company of the service (the are in KY) and found out that they gave back the service region to GMP because they were over-whelmed with upset customers.  Their service is terrible and try talking to them when you are having problems...  The hook-up you were talking about is nothing... they were all golly with you because they were about to snatch up your money!  Wait till you are trying to do something on the internet... and that little yellow light comes on, on the modem... and you don't see a green light for hours or days!  However, you watch TV and all channels are clear....  The reason you have to have the extended channels is because that is the frequency that the internet is on.  Anyway, that frequency is JUST like the one for your channels (within reason)... why is it out more than it's on?  THEY won't tell you (except a bunch of excuses).. even the people at their old service area (in KY) couldn't believe such POOR quality of service and POOR quality of people working for GMP... go with DSL if possible!

Y

yornoc

StillCrazy on 10:11 pm on April 16, 2002[br]Ok, it's Tuesday night, and I now have cable modem service courtesy of GMP Express.

Here's what I can tell you about it.  First and foremost, I'm up and running, and running fast. About 450k download time and about 420k upload time - a far cry from the 53k I was getting from dial up. However, this was at 10:30am. I suspect it will be somewhat slower during peak times...

StillCrazy,
I'm happy for ya! :dude:

Please post again in about 2 to 3 weeks and give us another update on the service.

In the meantime, happy surfing.