Goodbye old friend...

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
My beloved old boy is gone. A few months back he started peeing in the house, after some good advice here I brought him in and sure enough he had a urinary tract infection. Then he had another shortly after, this was the second one in the last 6 months and I started watching him close as he didn't seem "right". I noticed he was always at the water bowl and his litter was getting saturated really fast so I brought him in.

The vet tested him and he was diabetic. Long long long story short, it was type 1 and he was insulin resistant. I was giving him insulin shots and spent untold hours at the vets with all the testing and blood panels that had to be run. In the end I had to to the right thing as he developed diabetic ketoacidosis and was failing fast. I owed him a dignified end after the long fight he put up. I buried him in a lovely box filled with flowers in my garden and am looking for a suitable cat-themed sculpture/birdbath/statue to place on his grave. He was a wonderful cat and a faithful friend. :bawl: We had 12 years together and I miss him more than I can say. He was a rescue I got from a shelter in Okinawa, he was a fearless traveler and handled all our moves with grace. He was an exceptional cat, smart, affectionate, vocal, and my shadow at all times.

Anyway, my main reason for posting this here is to relay a little info. About 6 months back when he was still healthy he was pulling his hair out for no apparent reason. The vet put him on Ovaban which solved the hair pulling right away but one of it's possible side effects is.... diabetes. The vet never mentioned the possible side effects at the time, if he had I might have noticed sooner and possibly been able to save him. In the future all my animals prescriptions will be googled even if the vet doesn't volunteer potential problems. Educate yourself, don't count on a busy vet.

Attachments

• Deck Cat.jpg
    Deck Cat.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Footy.jpg
    Footy.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 121

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Thank you ladies. It's been a tough week. Whenever I get too sad about him I cuddle my toddlers and revel in their youth and pure sweet joy. Hubby hasn't seen the full extent of the vet bills yet, he is gonna flip.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
My beloved old boy is gone. A few months back he started peeing in the house, after some good advice here I brought him in and sure enough he had a urinary tract infection. Then he had another shortly after, this was the second one in the last 6 months and I started watching him close as he didn't seem "right". I noticed he was always at the water bowl and his litter was getting saturated really fast so I brought him in.

The vet tested him and he was diabetic. Long long long story short, it was type 1 and he was insulin resistant. I was giving him insulin shots and spent untold hours at the vets with all the testing and blood panels that had to be run. In the end I had to to the right thing as he developed diabetic ketoacidosis and was failing fast. I owed him a dignified end after the long fight he put up. I buried him in a lovely box filled with flowers in my garden and am looking for a suitable cat-themed sculpture/birdbath/statue to place on his grave. He was a wonderful cat and a faithful friend. :bawl: We had 12 years together and I miss him more than I can say. He was a rescue I got from a shelter in Okinawa, he was a fearless traveler and handled all our moves with grace. He was an exceptional cat, smart, affectionate, vocal, and my shadow at all times.

Anyway, my main reason for posting this here is to relay a little info. About 6 months back when he was still healthy he was pulling his hair out for no apparent reason. The vet put him on Ovaban which solved the hair pulling right away but one of it's possible side effects is.... diabetes. The vet never mentioned the possible side effects at the time, if he had I might have noticed sooner and possibly been able to save him. In the future all my animals prescriptions will be googled even if the vet doesn't volunteer potential problems. Educate yourself, don't count on a busy vet.

:bawl: I'm so sorry about your cat. :huggy:

And thank your for the info, I'll remember it as my cat gets up there in years.

Robin

I am so sorry for your loss. Its hard to lose a special, and loyal buddy. Prayers for you.

krazd_kat

Help "Invisible Dogs"
I'm so sorry for your loss, it's obvious he was loved very much.

Your advice is great too, I know I will try to remember that.

He was A handsome guy... love his lil black nose! Sometimes letting them go is the biggest act of love we can show them, not an easy thing to do, but very unselfish... and thank you for alerting everyone about the meds..

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
He was A handsome guy... love his lil black nose! Sometimes letting them go is the biggest act of love we can show them, not an easy thing to do, but very unselfish... and thank you for alerting everyone about the meds..

When I was giving him insulin shots daily everyone thought I was crazy but I just wasn't able to let him go yet. When he didn't respond to the treatment and stopped eating and drinking I had to do the right thing, he was looking miserable and I couldn't let it drag out any longer. I still cry at the memory of our last few moments together, God I loved that cat.

I did his scrapbook pages late at night when the hubby and kids couldn't see me weeping like a child at the loss...

2 page footy.jpg

I'm still searching for the right monument to mark his grave.