Google ChromeCast

champ3064

Chromecast

I bought one about 6 weeks ago. The one thing you should know is that you can only cast from the chrome explorer and other google back apps (Youtube, Netflix, etc..). First I had to figure out how to connect it to my router, which was a pain because I had to update the firm ware in the router. Then I had to install chrome and add some extension to be able to cast on any machine I wanted to cast from. But I use it every Sunday to cast the Sunday ticket and it works great. I do believe that it has a lot to do with your internet connection speed and processing power from whatever machine you are using to cast. After using it for the first week, I bought another one for our bedroom. They are pretty cheap.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
You can also cast from your smartphone or tablet using Netflix, Hulu, or YouTube. I also like the ability to cast practically any video file from chrome onto thee TV. I have seen ways to stream videos from your computer, however. My attempts resulted in lots of buffering.

For $35 its a great device, it will be even better when Google allows 3rd party ap support. Of course this may also be able to be done using a custom ROM.

ylexot

Super Genius
I really only use it for Youtube since our TV has Netflix built in. But it is pretty nice for that. Using it with the tablet, you can send a video to the TV. While that one is playing, you can go find other videos that you want to watch, add them to the play list and it will just play them one after another. You can also control the volume from the tablet/phone.

Overall, it is pretty limited though. I'm hoping that it actually gets updated to become "Android TV" (new name for GoogleTV). Then it will be pretty powerful.

And since I got it when it was first announced, I got a Netflix discount which basically made the Chromecast only cost ~$11. :biggrin:

I have one, it's a pretty nifty little device. I'd echo what ylexot said, for now the functionality is pretty limited. But that will likely change in the not-too-distant future. I find that what it does, it does pretty well. And the price is right.

I use it mostly for Netflix. It made for a nice solution for my bedroom TV which is mounted to the ceiling in a corner of the room and has nothing connected to it. It allows me to have a clean set-up (i.e. no boxes or DVD players, e.g., that have to sit somewhere and have cables running to the TV) with that TV and still use it for Netflix. And, especially if you're using TVs with a USB port that can power it (i.e. not a service only USB port), it travels well and allows you to quickly set-up other TVs to use it. It turns pretty much any modern mobile device into a remote for selecting Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu content on a TV.