Google helps ID bear poacher

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
They need to do this to catch all the smash and grab looters in San Francisco. Of course they will never do that.

In May, Idaho Fish and Game sent a warrant to Google to see whose electronic devices would be in the area of the dead bear around the time of the poaching. Data from Google showed a device belonging to Jared showed him in the area on March 16, and investigators went to speak to him.

Investigators spoke with Jared in November, who said he shot the bear with a handgun that shoots 5.7×28mm bullets. The 5.7×28mm bullets were the same type of bullets found inside the bear and matched shell casings at the scene. Rex also told Fish and Game he also took shots at the bear.
The father and son had reportedly agreed not to talk about killing the bear.

Jared also told Fish and Game he saw the April news release announcing the reward for the bear’s killers. Jared said the day after reading the news release, he decided to destroy his father’s handgun used to kill the bear and threw it into a pond.

nabbed

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm glad they caught the SOBs who shot the bear, but being tracked by Google is creepy. Your cell provider, sure, but now Google is this all-seeing all-knowing Big Brother entity and that is disturbing.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I'm glad they caught the SOBs who shot the bear, but being tracked by Google is creepy. Your cell provider, sure, but now Google is this all-seeing all-knowing Big Brother entity and that is disturbing.
I get an email from Google each month letting me know where I stopped the previous month.

HemiHauler

There is nothing creepy about it at all. They are doing PRECISELY what their user agreement says they will do when one signs up for their service. As far as I know, no one is agreeing to the EULA under duress.

Don’t want to be tracked by Google? Don’t willingly sign up for their services. Easy as pie.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Don’t want to be tracked by Google? Don’t willingly sign up for their services. Easy as pie.

Since Google owns the internet and most communication, that's almost impossible. I don't believe I should have to live in a cave and have no contact with the outside world to keep Google from constantly breathing down my neck.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I turn off Location Services. It's a minor protest, and doesn't really stop you from being tracked, but makes me feel a little more in control.

HemiHauler

Since Google owns the internet and most communication, that's almost impossible. I don't believe I should have to live in a cave and have no contact with the outside world to keep Google from constantly breathing down my neck.

They don’t and it’s quite possible to avoid. I don’t live in a cave and I haven’t signed a single Google EULA. Certainly I consume some of their products like ADSense and other monitoring stuff they offer, but that’s far different from having an Android-based phone and having to agree to the EULA before the phone is useful.

The issue isn’t with Google being sneaky, this is their business model and they make no bones about it. The issue is with consumers using the products for perceived value and being surprised when “their data” is used against them. “Their data” in quotes because, per the Google EULA, which no one reads, your data belongs to Google as “proprietary business data” for them to use as they see fit.

Quit blaming Google for being very good at the two things business is supposed to be good at: innovating and making money.

HemiHauler

A free person should have to "Opt In" to any service...

I agree. I am finally starting to see a trend where getting added to marketing mailing lists is OPT-IN when you order a new shirt or whatever from an e-commerce site that I haven’t used before.

But in the case of Google (and so many other companies), it is opt-in. One chooses to opt-in when they sign that EULA. No one has been forced at gunpoint to do this as far as I’m aware. It’s all voluntary with the promise of getting something in return for giving up privacy.

black dog

Free America
I agree. I am finally starting to see a trend where getting added to marketing mailing lists is OPT-IN when you order a new shirt or whatever from an e-commerce site that I haven’t used before.

But in the case of Google (and so many other companies), it is opt-in. One chooses to opt-in when they sign that EULA. No one has been forced at gunpoint to do this as far as I’m aware. It’s all voluntary with the promise of getting something in return for giving up privacy.

I would bet even of one ops out as soon as you reboot or let an a software upgrade happen, you just opp'ed in. You ain't gonna beat The Man.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I would bet even of one ops out as soon as you reboot or let an a software upgrade happen, you just opp'ed in. You ain't gonna beat The Man.

If you "opt out" you can't use the app or service. It's a TOS. And since nobody reads those pages of legalese when they want to install an app (or use an app that comes pre-installed on their phone, such as Chrome or, you know, the phone software itself), they have unknowingly agreed to allow Google to track them.

HH must have nothing better to do with his life than read mile long TOS agreements for every little thing. Some of us do.

Google is too powerful. The end. I know the progs love Big Brother looking over their shoulder constantly and directing every move they make, but some of us object to that.

HemiHauler

If you "opt out" you can't use the app or service. It's a TOS. And since nobody reads those pages of legalese when they want to install an app (or use an app that comes pre-installed on their phone, such as Chrome or, you know, the phone software itself), they have unknowingly agreed to allow Google to track them.

HH must have nothing better to do with his life than read mile long TOS agreements for every little thing. Some of us do.

I used to read them all the time. These days I don’t bother because I assume they are all trying to invade my privacy. Of course I don’t use the services either and my life is no less rich for saying “no, thanks”.

Your problem is that you want something for nothing and that’s just not the way any of this works.

I remember a time where you and your ilk recognized that innovators deserved success and profits. As is your usual habit, you are everything you accuse your sworn life enemies of being. Everything.

Google is too powerful. The end. I know the progs love Big Brother looking over their shoulder constantly and directing every move they make, but some of us object to that.

How do you gauge “too powerful”? If you state Google are “too” powerful that implies you know what the Goldilocks amount of power is. So please explain how much power Google should have.

Further, BY YOUR OWN WORDS you DO NOT object to this sort of tracking. You knowingly and willingly signed up for it. And continue to use it even though you have a choice - you can cancel your account at any time.

One of us hasn’t agreed to a Google EULA/TOS and one of us has. By your own definition, then, you are a “prog” who loves Big Brother, since you willingly give up your privacy to get ???? in return. That is a serious question - What exactly are you getting that is so vital to your life that you can’t get off the sauce?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Of course I don’t use the services either

Durhard, you're using a Google something every time you go on the internet.

I didn't read any further than that sentence because you clearly don't know WTF you're talking about. And now I'm done giving you attention.

HemiHauler

Durhard, you're using a Google something every time you go on the internet.

I didn't read any further than that sentence because you clearly don't know WTF you're talking about. And now I'm done giving you attention.

Yep. That’s your typical response when you know you’ve been bested.

In short, you’re a lying liar.

black dog

Free America
I used to read them all the time. These days I don’t bother because I assume they are all trying to invade my privacy. Of course I don’t use the services either and my life is no less rich for saying “no, thanks”.

Your problem is that you want something for nothing and that’s just not the way any of this works.

I remember a time where you and your ilk recognized that innovators deserved success and profits. As is your usual habit, you are everything you accuse your sworn life enemies of being. Everything.

How do you gauge “too powerful”? If you state Google are “too” powerful that implies you know what the Goldilocks amount of power is. So please explain how much power Google should have.

Further, BY YOUR OWN WORDS you DO NOT object to this sort of tracking. You knowingly and willingly signed up for it. And continue to use it even though you have a choice - you can cancel your account at any time.

One of us hasn’t agreed to a Google EULA/TOS and one of us has. By your own definition, then, you are a “prog” who loves Big Brother, since you willingly give up your privacy to get ???? in return. That is a serious question - What exactly are you getting that is so vital to your life that you can’t get off the sauce?

You honestly believe that with things like location turned off Goggle is not watching and listening to what , where and what it hears and sees with your phone?
Look no farther than the advertisements that pop up...

HemiHauler

You honestly believe that with things like location turned off Goggle is not watching and listening to what , where and what it hears and sees with your phone?
Look no farther than the advertisements that pop up...

I don’t think that for one second and I’m not sure what I might have posted which has you thinking those were my thoughts.

But I don’t use a phone running Android (a Google product) so I don’t give it much thought.

Even way back before smart phones the government had the technical ability to remotely enable the microphone on your plain ole phone to monitor the sound in the room where the phone was.

But this discussion isn’t really about what is technically feasible with these phones, it’s about opting into having your privacy invaded and then complaining that the company is too powerful for doing exactly what they say they will do.

I mean, talk about abject stupidity.

black dog

Free America
I don’t think that for one second and I’m not sure what I might have posted which has you thinking those were my thoughts.

But I don’t use a phone running Android (a Google product) so I don’t give it much thought.

Even way back before smart phones the government had the technical ability to remotely enable the microphone on your plain ole phone to monitor the sound in the room where the phone was.

But this discussion isn’t really about what is technically feasible with these phones, it’s about opting into having your privacy invaded and then complaining that the company is too powerful for doing exactly what they say they will do.

I mean, talk about abject stupidity.

Lol. Yea I forgot JitterBug was different....