goosebay marina

marianne

Thinking about keeping our future express cruiser there. Anyone familiar with the marina and can offer any advice/tips?

L

lugebob

Goose Bay

I used to keep my Express Cruiser there when I had one. It is a very nice and friendly place. They make improvements every year. Harolly is a great mechanic and has good advice if you ask. Goose Bay is protected from the brunt of most of the storms and it always has water......... Port tobacco Marina can and does run dry, leaving you literately stuck in the mud.

They have the best prices also... one fee for in or out of water for the year and although gas prices are high, they do not rip you off like other river marinas. They also have some events, church service and pool if you just want to camp from the boat and join the landlubbers.

I was most impressed one year when we were threatened by a Hurricane the first week of September. They called me and suggested that I have my boat hauled out and put on blocks... they told me that all the "old timers" were having their boats pulled so I should follow their lead. I was not happy because the best boating is in the fall. They then told me don't worry.. that they would put the boats back in for free, since there was so much of the boating season left... I think this was a great business decision on their part and it made my day.

My wife and I used to like cruising to Capt Billy's for diner and then back to anchor just behind Chapel Point for the night. This is a nice cool protected anchorage and provides some privacy just about 2 miles from Goose Bay.

Have fun... and please give me a ride.. I miss the river.

If you are a first timer I would be happy to be your river guide for your first trip. :howdy:

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

muffin

Goose Bay Marina

Goose Bay is great been boating there for 13 years. The owners are great and you really feel like everyone is family there. They have events bands, chili cook offs things for the kids etc.

L

lugebob

Oh yea, Do not delay. The good spots go fast... reserve your slip now

marianne

lugebob said:
I used to keep my Express Cruiser there when I had one. Have fun... and please give me a ride.. I miss the river.
If you are a first timer I would be happy to be your river guide for your first trip. :howdy:
Bob

Your posts were so helpful, thank you! DH was concerned about the water depth at Port Tobacco marina so now he feels validated. We like the marina at Smallwood state park but they don't have lifts so it doesn't look like we could get the boat out of the water during off-season.

We are first-timers for this area. DH had a couple boats years ago but not around here. When (not if) we do get a boat this year, I will definitely let you know. We're looking at a nearly new Rinker 312 or 320.

L

lugebob

Smallwood is nice and you can lift the boat at another Marina, but it lacks the FULL Service that you will need eventually. Fort Washington is also nice, but mine fav is Goose Bay for so many reasons. Besides the reasons listed above, it is about equal cruise time to the bay or DC for a long day trip or overnight. It is also about a 20 minute trip to the ever popular Fairview Beach hangout. Also, most of the waterside eateries are south of Goose Bay.

Some of our best times were the 4th of July.
1. Leave Goose Bay to Fairview Beach
2. clean the bottom of the boat at Fairview while the girls sun and drink
3. Head to Gray's beach to swim and ski
4. Gas up at Smallwood
5. Waterside sightsee Mt Vernon and Ft Washington
6. Diner in Old Town
7. Tie up in a floatilla at the Tidal Gates in DC
8. Party all night watching fireworks
9. Leave DC at 9am
10. Reverse order return trip.

fun fun fun

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
marianne said:
Thinking about keeping our future express cruiser there. Anyone familiar with the marina and can offer any advice/tips?
It is a very nice marina. Lots of campers in the summer and it gets crowded. Does Mattawoman offer storage?

LordStanley

I know nothing
the only thing I dont like about it is they only have 2 ramps. It can be quite the pain if you trailer your boat on a busy day.

C5gal

Goose Bay is a great weekend getaway place. If anyone is interested, I have a nice trailer w/ deck on a lot for sale there.