GOP rejects bill to give back pay to federal contractors, wants to repeal estate tax instead

Sapidus

Not a single Republican senator has joined the effort to give back pay to hundreds of thousands of federal contractors who were unpaid during the partial government shutdown. But the party’s leaders are pushing ahead with a bill to repeal the federal estate tax on behalf of the wealthiest Americans.

Minnesota Sen. Tina Smith and Massachusetts Rep. Ayanna Pressley, both Democrats, have introduced bills that would give back pay to federal contractors, who are not entitled under law to be paid after a shutdown as federal employees are, Vox reported.

Instead, on Monday, three top Republican senators introduced a bill to repeal the federal estate tax, which is paid by fewer than 2,000 of the wealthiest Americans per year.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell was joined by Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, and Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., in sponsoring a bill that fully repeals the tax some wealthy families must pay on inherited wealth, the Washington Post reported.

The Republicans already kneecapped the estate tax in their 2017 tax law, allowing couples to pass on up to $22 million worth of assets tax-free. Prior to the law, an individual could pass up to $5.45 million in assets tax-free.

https://www.salon.com/2019/01/29/go...ntractors-wants-to-repeal-estate-tax-instead/

PeoplesElbow

Stuff like that is part of being a contractor, they should not get paid for work that was not performed.

If a base is shut down due to weather for the day contractors do not get paid unless their contract says they do. Their company most likely got the contract because it was the lowest bid, the bid was low because it left out paying them for stuff like this.

Salmon

Of course they want to repeal the estate tax. They want their rich friends to hoard that money, even after their deaths.

Salmon

I hope these contractors sue Trump and win. It’s not their fault he shut down the government.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I hope these contractors sue Trump and win. It’s not their fault he shut down the government.

Sue Trump for what? When he was presented with this limited CR by Congress he signed it. Up till that time their was no funding for their work.

Hijinx

Sue Trump for what? When he was presented with this limited CR by Congress he signed it. Up till that time their was no funding for their work.

If the GOP had voted to pay them Sap would be bitching and saying they were wasteful and being supported by contractors.

This_person

Not a single Republican senator has joined the effort to give back pay to hundreds of thousands of federal contractors who were unpaid during the partial government shutdown. But the party’s leaders are pushing ahead with a bill to repeal the federal estate tax on behalf of the wealthiest Americans.

Minnesota Sen. Tina Smith and Massachusetts Rep. Ayanna Pressley, both Democrats, have introduced bills that would give back pay to federal contractors, who are not entitled under law to be paid after a shutdown as federal employees are, Vox reported.

Instead, on Monday, three top Republican senators introduced a bill to repeal the federal estate tax, which is paid by fewer than 2,000 of the wealthiest Americans per year.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell was joined by Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, and Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., in sponsoring a bill that fully repeals the tax some wealthy families must pay on inherited wealth, the Washington Post reported.

The Republicans already kneecapped the estate tax in their 2017 tax law, allowing couples to pass on up to $22 million worth of assets tax-free. Prior to the law, an individual could pass up to $5.45 million in assets tax-free.

https://www.salon.com/2019/01/29/go...ntractors-wants-to-repeal-estate-tax-instead/

If you don't want to pay an estate tax, don't have that much to leave behind; just don't tell other citizens what to do.

If you want the advantage of a lower estate tax, have enough to leave behind to make yourself subject to the tax, just don't tell other citizens what to do.

Sounds really stupid when you use the same argument for different things, doesn't it?

NextJen

Raisin cane
I never understood estate or inheritance tax anyway - regardless of whether you are 'rich' or not. Isn't it double taxing things? For the most part, when money is earned, taxes are paid on them. When someone buys property or items, they pay tax on them. Why is it taxed again just because it changes hands? It's strictly a way for the government to get more money out of citizens.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Of course they want to repeal the estate tax. They want their rich friends to hoard that money, even after their deaths.

So, when your parents die and leave you $10,000, you only get to keep half of it...if you're lucky.

Muller21QQQ

"GOP rejects bill to give back pay to federal contractors"
Are these guys crazy or what? I mean there are so many contractors that lost money while the government was on shutdown. I used to work in construction even though I was never a federal worker and I understand how hard these people work every day to provide for themselves and their families and to sit here and read that this type of crap is still happening is really upsetting. I recently looked for some general contractors near me and all of them were private owners and not federal which is kind of sad, since the government doesn't really invest in their workers. I hope change will come this next election cycle

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
BULLSHIT.. give me ONE good reason why there should be an estate tax?

Because you hate people more successful than you??

itsbob

I bowl overhand
"GOP rejects bill to give back pay to federal contractors"
Are these guys crazy or what?
Government has already paid the COMPANY for their services.. it's up to the COMPANY on how they spend that money NOT the government. The COMPANY could take a bite and pay their employeess, or not, it's up to them.. and if the employees don't like it, go work for another contractor, maybe they will negotiate a better deal for THEIR employees next time.