Got Beer?

lovinmaryland

Keep meaning to stop in and see if they will fill growers not bought there.....

and an email just sent to the Calvert Brewing company to see what their policy is. I'll share that info once I get a response.

No they will not fill growlers that are not purchased from there. I think the smallest one is $7.99 and the larger ones are $10.99. I know Mully's will fill other growlers but they have to be growlers purchased in Maryland. Apparently that is a Maryland law/requirement that breweries can only fill growlers purchased in Maryland. We have some growlers we bought from Founders and have been unable to fill them in Maryland. The DC breweries were not a problem though.

glhs837

Power with Control
No they will not fill growlers that are not purchased from there. I think the smallest one is $7.99 and the larger ones are $10.99. I know Mully's will fill other growlers but they have to be growlers purchased in Maryland. Apparently that is a Maryland law/requirement that breweries can only fill growlers purchased in Maryland. We have some growlers we bought from Founders and have been unable to fill them in Maryland. The DC breweries were not a problem though.

As far as I know, Maryland as a state doesn't govern that, it's left to the individual counties liquor boards. Below is Calverts permit request, the only place it really defines whats an acceptable "refillable container", note item B, which after re-reading, only seems to say that it has to be marked by who sold the container, not who's filling it. So, as long as it's marked by whomever sold it (and theres no requirement that it be from MD that I can see) and has both the health warning, cleaning instructions, and the other two things, they cannot refuse to fill it.

Looks like the wifes Cricut has it's first beer related project, to add those stupid cleaning things.

To be used as a refillable container, under the previous paragraph, a container shall;
a.) Be sealable;
b.) Be branded with the identifying mark of the Permit holder who sells/sold the
container.
c.) Bear the federal health warning statement required for containers of alcoholic
beverages under 27 C.F.R. 16.21
d.) Display instructions for cleaning the container
e.) Bear a label stating that;
i) Cleaning the container is the responsibility of the consumer
ii) Contents of the container are perishable and should be refrigerated
immediately and consumed within 48 hours after purchase

glhs837

Power with Control
So, warning label will read as follows.

"The contents of this container are perishable and should be refrigerated and should be consumed within 48 ours of purchase. The growler should be cleaned immediately by the consumer after use by repeatedly rinsing with very hot water."

lovinmaryland

As far as I know, Maryland as a state doesn't govern that, it's left to the individual counties liquor boards. Below is Calverts permit request, the only place it really defines whats an acceptable "refillable container", note item B, which after re-reading, only seems to say that it has to be marked by who sold the container, not who's filling it. So, as long as it's marked by whomever sold it (and theres no requirement that it be from MD that I can see) and has both the health warning, cleaning instructions, and the other two things, they cannot refuse to fill it.

Looks like the wifes Cricut has it's first beer related project, to add those stupid cleaning things.

To be used as a refillable container, under the previous paragraph, a container shall;
a.) Be sealable;
b.) Be branded with the identifying mark of the Permit holder who sells/sold the
container.
c.) Bear the federal health warning statement required for containers of alcoholic
beverages under 27 C.F.R. 16.21
d.) Display instructions for cleaning the container
e.) Bear a label stating that;
i) Cleaning the container is the responsibility of the consumer
ii) Contents of the container are perishable and should be refrigerated
immediately and consumed within 48 hours after purchase
Yea I'm not 100% sure :shrug: I just know we took our growlers to Mully's & Franklins and were told they could not fill them because they were not from a Maryland brewery as is required in the state...so I assumed there was some type of law or regulation. ABC told us the will not fill any growlers other than theirs, they claim it is for safety/cleanliness issues.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yea I'm not 100% sure :shrug: I just know we took our growlers to Mully's & Franklins and were told they could not fill them because they were not from a Maryland brewery as is required in the state...so I assumed there was some type of law or regulation. ABC told us the will not fill any growlers other than theirs, they claim it is for safety/cleanliness issues.

I see it as them either not understanding the law, although I think St Marys hasn't actually written theirs yet, or just wanting to sell more growlers. Maryland law evidently does say "permit holders" but doesn't state MD permit holders. I wonder if they keep a list of MD breweries ? :)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
8. The End Of The World

For some people, brewing beer is a passion. For others, it’s straight-up competition. While everyone else is presumably cramming strange things into their mashes to make strange new beers, there’s an ongoing war to make some of the strongest beers known to man. In the arena of ‘extreme ABV brewing’, breweries from across the world work to create beverages of high alcohol content. One of those breweries is Scotland-based BrewDog.

They entered the arena with their beer, Tactical Nuclear Penguin, which earned a respectable 32% ABV rating. When it was beaten by a German brewery, they had to step up their game with Sink the Bismarck! at 40% ABV. When that lost its title, BrewDog once again put up a fight with an interesting beer called The End of History. At a powerful 55% ABV, The End of History is not a drink to be taken lightly. The first thing you note about a bottle of The End of History isn’t its strength, however; each one was stuffed inside a stuffed animal. And we don’t mean the kind you find at a Build-A-Bear:

“Only 12 bottles have been made and each comes with its own certificate and is presented in a stuffed stoat or grey squirrel,” the website says. “The striking packaging was created by a very talented taxidermist and all the animals used were road kill. This release is a limited run of 11 bottles, 7 stoats and 4 grey squirrels.”

Since then, the war for the highest ABV has run into fierce competition, with some accusations of cheating along the way. As long as nothing is bottled in anything weirder than a stuffed stoat, however, The End of History may be outdone, but it won’t be forgotten.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, just got this back from Sam Riley at Calvert Brewing Company......

"Hi Bill,

No problem! We will fill any other 32 or 64 oz growlers. We'll just have to slap a CBC sticker on it and you'll be good to go.

Hope to see you soon!

Sam"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We picked up a mixed case of Blue Moon that included a cinnamon beer that was delicious and a chai beer that was better than I thought it would be.

Hank

my war
This may be the one time I am disappointed in a Sam Adams beer.

Cold Snap smells like burnt hair in a hair salon.

:dead:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
:lmao:

I'll try it tonight.

Be warned: it has all the good qualities of Corona WITH lime; refreshing, VERY drinkable ad you'll be 3 or 4 in REAL fast. It's not a high ABC as far as Flying Drunk Ass Dog typically goes but it WILL reach out and touch you.

Oh, and do NOT let them fruit it. Does NOT need it. I have not had it on tap. Now I am jealous! It's fabulous in bottles. Just goes down way too easy.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I no longer like you even a little bit.:drama:

Don't be so touchy. I used to swill them like they were water. LOVED them. As long as there were plenty of limes. Still will drink them. Unless there are no limes. In which case I use them to flush the toilet instead of wasting water.

:evil:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
In which case I use them to flush the toilet instead of wasting water.

I've used them to cool off a hot engine in the pit between races...and as radiator coolant...

I drink mine without the lime too....like a real man does.

Say..speaking of beer (my favorite subject), Bob's Beer Cave has upped their beer selection to over 1000 now! I like to look at them all every time I stop to buy a 12-pack of Corona.

Last edited:

somdfunguy

not impressed
1000 selection is great until you realize that most don't have date codes. Never buy an IPA without a date code, and if it has one it shouldn't be more than 2 months old tops. 1 month is preferred.