Got Brisket?

SamSpade

Ok, I love my smoker, and I have smoked ribs to perfection, and I've smoked chicken and goose. I've smoked debrined corned beef to make pastrami.

Never tried a brisket before, and I'm guessing cooking it is like the pinnacle, the Holy Grail, the tour de force of outdoor cooking.
Saw two smaller ones on sale half price, so I bought them both for fun.

Smoke or grill - or some of both?

I've followed the different "path" for good ribs - generally, 3-2-1. (3 hours smoked, 2 foil wrapped in smoker, 1 more out of wrapper).

Is there a trick for brisket? I'm not going to do this twice, probably.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
See me not stepping in? See me saying this is none of my business and nobody wants my advice anyway?

Reactions: TPD

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Ok, I love my smoker, and I have smoked ribs to perfection, and I've smoked chicken and goose. I've smoked debrined corned beef to make pastrami.

Never tried a brisket before, and I'm guessing cooking it is like the pinnacle, the Holy Grail, the tour de force of outdoor cooking.

I've followed the different "path" for good ribs - generally, 3-2-1. (3 hours smoked, 2 foil wrapped in smoker, 1 more out of wrapper).

Of course we get a couple nice briskets every year because we buy a whole Angus from Earl Lumpkins every year. I've been sneaking up on the perfectly smoked brisket for easily 6-7 years now. What I've found works the best?..

Marinate it for at least 12 hours. Then just stick them in a slow cooker with the leftover marinade for about 6 hours., THEN dry rub it and put on the smoker at 220-240F for about 7-8 hours. Wrap with butchers paper for at least the first 4. Melt in your mouth goodness.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Rub it the day before
Smoke it at 225° until it stalls at about 165°
Wrap it in brown paper and continue until it’s at 203°
Let it rest for at least on hour, preferably in a cooler, the more time it spends at about 200° the more tender it will be