Got my mom ready to move into a nursing home

PeoplesElbow

I got my mom moved in today. FINALLY!

The staff was great. Paying her a lot of attention. They unpacked for her. Made her comfortable.

My sister got her a cell phone for comms until her room phone arrives. Things are looking up.
Late replying, but I'm glad to hear it worked out. My mom pulled the same thing, every excuse she could think of to not go that day.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
My mom's house went up for sale last week. It was suppose to hit the market on the first of March, but things got done ahead of schedule.

There was an open house this past weekend. Not a great turnout. But she got an offer out of it. Not bad for a week in the MLS. It was under asking price but that price was inflated in my opinion.

So now papers need to be signed for this chapter of the saga to be over. When it's all said and done, my mom will have enough cash on hand to live in her current digs for at least a decade.

I started this journey on December 28th. I left PCB to go to NJ for a wedding. Then after that, my time was spent convincing my mom it was time to stop living alone in a big house. ANd here it is 2 months later and it looks like the house will be sold. I'm ecstatic. I'll really be glad when the new deed is finalized and ownership transfers.

I did manage to salvage a few things from my childhood home. I got a Shirley Temple pitcher that was my moms. Not sure when they were popular but it was well before I was born. The other momento I grabbed was my grandfather's shaving mug. He used a White Castle coffee mug to mix his soap and brush to create shaving foam. It has a WC logo on it. Not sure how old it is. Other than that, I did get most of the photos and have been scanning them and posting them online.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The other momento I grabbed was my grandfather's shaving mug. He used a White Castle coffee mug to mix his soap and brush to create shaving foam.
I have my grandfather's shaving kit too. Brush and a couple bars of shaving soap, double-edge razors.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I have my grandfathers shaving brush. As a kid I loved to watch him shave...
It's the little things.
It is indeed the little things.

As my grandfather's only grandchild, we were always very close and I inherited all his things, including his shaving kit, when he passed. He was very fussy about being clean shaven at all times. One of his ship's crew remarked in a memoir of his WWII experience serving under my grandpappy (CO of several ships during WWII): "I don't recall ever going up to the bridge when the skipper wasn't there. Day or night. Always with a cup of coffee close to hand and always clean shaven!"

When he was in hospice, they didn't take very good care of him (VA..what can I say) so I moved to Florida to take care of him myself. He so appreciated me shaving him every day. And I learned how to use a shaving mug, brush and straight razor. ;-)

I lost all his things when our house burnt down. But nobody would/will ever miss any of of it...except me.

ontheriver

It is indeed the little things.

As my grandfather's only grandchild, we were always very close and I inherited all his things, including his shaving kit, when he passed. He was very fussy about being clean shaven at all times. One of his ship's crew remarked in a memoir of his WWII experience serving under my grandpappy (CO of several ships during WWII): "I don't recall ever going up to the bridge when the skipper wasn't there. Day or night. Always with a cup of coffee close to hand and always clean shaven!"

When he was in hospice, they didn't take very good care of him (VA..what can I say) so I moved to Florida to take care of him myself. He so appreciated me shaving him every day. And I learned how to use a shaving mug, brush and straight razor. ;-)

I lost all his things when our house burnt down. But nobody would/will ever miss any of of it...except me.
The only other things I have of him are his home movie camera and projector (with the movie reels) and 4 Waterford crystal ashtrays. He smoked a pipe and I loved the smell of his cherry tobacco.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Mama Monello was a good sport. It has to be heart wrenching losing the only home you've ever known, even though she's enjoying being a Golden Girl and having wine with a lunch someone else cooks and serves to her.
I aspire to do that, too! :yahoo:

So happy things are working out, Monello! :huggy: