Got this e-mail this morning

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
Thought some of you might want to read this:

I just got this frwarded to me by the NJHorse Council's President.

Please BEWARE.

Got this from a New Jersey Friend.

Subject:[Appaloosab reederlist2] Fwd: NYS is pulling over horse trailers

Forwarded from NNY Horses:

One of the local harness racing people up here got pulled over by the DOT yesterday and left with fines totaling $3300!!!! Every single infraction of the DOT laws carries a $350 fine!
He was hauling 2 horses from his farm to the track at Vernon Downs - IOW, not on a major highway like the NYS Thruway. I don't remember every single thing he was cited for but here is what I DO remember:
No fire extinguisher
Chains from trailer to truck not hooked "per regulations"
Wire for emergency brakes attached to the same part of the truck as the chains
Dead battery in the emergency brakes on the trailer
No DOT number (he hauls his own horses ONLY in a 2 horse trailer like I do)
They had him pulled over on the side of the road for a long, long time checking everything. They even pulled the battery out of the emergency brake and made him drive forward 100 feet and stop to see if the trailer brakes functioned properly. Before he left, the DOT officer told him they are stopping all horse trailers because "NY is broke and needs the money".
I tried looking up the DOT regulations on both the NYS and Federal websites and could not find ANY guidance whatsoever so I contacted the NYS DOT and talked to a very nice guy who confirmed that they ARE stopping horse/livestock trailers when they see them, the fines ARE exactly as I quoted above - $350 per infraction - and that everything I was told he was fined for IS correct. BTW - NY follows Federal regulations so this applies to other states.
I specifically asked how chains are supposed to be hooked and he said "Oh there is a very specific way they must be hooked to your truck hitch". He is sending me the DOT manual today because he did not want to mislead me by trying to explain "how" over the phone.
He told me that even though I haul only my own horses, that since I show and some of those shows offer prize money, that is considered to be "commerce" and therefore I need a DOT number. He said, and I quote, "You don't want to have to pay THAT fine if you get stopped!". He also said that if you go even a foot across the state line, by federal law you are in "interstate commerce" and therefore need a DOT number.
If you don't have a DOT number, you can apply for one here:
http://www.fmcsa. dot.gov/
He advised me not to take my trailer out on the road AT ALL until I get the manual he is sending and go through my whole trailer to make sure I am in compliance. I will share the info from the manual when I get it.
If you want to get one of your own, contact the NYS DOT.

============ ========= ========= ===

Please share and help get the word out...Those fines are horrible!

Sigrid Ricco
Knight Creek Farm
http://www.knightcr eek.com

mingiz

Horse Poor
I don't think that they are looking at the weekend type riders. There looking for the people that make profits from thier horses. As far as the fines that they gave him, He deserves them. First thing saftey chain laws are different in states. But most states if your trailer is rated at 10,000 lbs then safety chains are required, There is a specific way to hook them up so that they don't come undone while moving. As far as the battery on the break away, most people forget that they have it. They do go dead. I check mine at the beginning of towing season and test it on occasion. I have 2 fire extinguisher's one in the front LQ of the trailer and one in the first stall area...
Most of these are standard safety rules of the road for any trailer. I have traveled in many states with my trailer and have never been stopped for any checks. If it happens I think I'm pretty legal for both my rig and horses...

Of course I don't make any profit from them..Actually I take a lost every year...:killingme

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I also want to remind people trailering that they are required to carry coffins. And, if you're traveling across state lines you should also have an interstate travel certificate.

Bilbo

Yep, folks in Harness racing, throughbred racing, etc. are commercial. They need DOT numbers if they meet the requirements. Hobbyists are exempted. Prize money at horse show does not make you commercial. If you are sponsored by corporation, however, you are commercial.

You certainly do not want DOT number if not required. If you have DOT number on your trailer, you must meet all requirementsi n federal regs including driving logs, etc AND with DOT number you will be stopping at every weigh station you pass.

mingiz

Horse Poor
I also want to remind people trailering that they are required to carry coffins. And, if you're traveling across state lines you should also have an interstate travel certificate.

Coffins???I don't trailer dead people....:killingme
So how long is a certificate good for? :popcorn:

C

citizen_fear

Thought some of you might want to read this:

I just got this frwarded to me by the NJHorse Council's President.

Please BEWARE.

Got this from a New Jersey Friend.

Subject:[Appaloosab reederlist2] Fwd: NYS is pulling over horse trailers

Forwarded from NNY Horses:

One of the local harness racing people up here got pulled over by the DOT yesterday and left with fines totaling $3300!!!! Every single infraction of the DOT laws carries a $350 fine!
He was hauling 2 horses from his farm to the track at Vernon Downs - IOW, not on a major highway like the NYS Thruway. I don't remember every single thing he was cited for but here is what I DO remember:
No fire extinguisher
Chains from trailer to truck not hooked "per regulations"
Wire for emergency brakes attached to the same part of the truck as the chains
Dead battery in the emergency brakes on the trailer
No DOT number (he hauls his own horses ONLY in a 2 horse trailer like I do)
They had him pulled over on the side of the road for a long, long time checking everything. They even pulled the battery out of the emergency brake and made him drive forward 100 feet and stop to see if the trailer brakes functioned properly. Before he left, the DOT officer told him they are stopping all horse trailers because "NY is broke and needs the money".
I tried looking up the DOT regulations on both the NYS and Federal websites and could not find ANY guidance whatsoever so I contacted the NYS DOT and talked to a very nice guy who confirmed that they ARE stopping horse/livestock trailers when they see them, the fines ARE exactly as I quoted above - $350 per infraction - and that everything I was told he was fined for IS correct. BTW - NY follows Federal regulations so this applies to other states.
I specifically asked how chains are supposed to be hooked and he said "Oh there is a very specific way they must be hooked to your truck hitch". He is sending me the DOT manual today because he did not want to mislead me by trying to explain "how" over the phone.
He told me that even though I haul only my own horses, that since I show and some of those shows offer prize money, that is considered to be "commerce" and therefore I need a DOT number. He said, and I quote, "You don't want to have to pay THAT fine if you get stopped!". He also said that if you go even a foot across the state line, by federal law you are in "interstate commerce" and therefore need a DOT number.
If you don't have a DOT number, you can apply for one here:
http://www.fmcsa. dot.gov/
He advised me not to take my trailer out on the road AT ALL until I get the manual he is sending and go through my whole trailer to make sure I am in compliance. I will share the info from the manual when I get it.
If you want to get one of your own, contact the NYS DOT.

============ ========= ========= ===

Please share and help get the word out...Those fines are horrible!

Sigrid Ricco
Knight Creek Farm
http://www.knightcr eek.com

Seems like the officer was having a bad day but at the same time I get checked to the same extent everytime I go out on my boat, I make sure I am legal or put off going until I am.....Maybe the person will take better care of their trailer and more caution when they pull it.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Coffins???I don't trailer dead people....:killingme
So how long is a certificate good for? :popcorn:
Haha I'm on my iPhone apparently apple is not aware of coggins so it auto corrects as coffins :)

Interstate travel certificates are good for 30 days... Or you can also get an interstate equine passport which is good for 6 months in the states where it's valid.

Last edited:

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
also, it would be wise of travelers to weigh their rigs with their normal "cargo". Some horse trailers and trucks push the 10,000lb limit and drivers might need a different license. I know my 3h trailer pushes it depending on the amount of tack and feed ?I bring with me

mingiz

Horse Poor
also, it would be wise of travelers to weigh their rigs with their normal "cargo". Some horse trailers and trucks push the 10,000lb limit and drivers might need a different license. I know my 3h trailer pushes it depending on the amount of tack and feed ?I bring with me

You can take your rig to the moving place on 234 and get it weighed, with the truck or without or fully loaded. I know that I add extra weight when I camp I carry a 65 gal water tank filled and a generator on the back of the truck..My trailer is rated at 10,400.

SugarNSpikes

Never thought of a Fire Extinguisher.

Also, whoever is getting the manual, how are the chains supposed to be hooked properly? I just do it the way the guy that sold us the trailer showed us and I assumed it would be correct because he sells trailers for a living?

Also, because I just show locally and only ever go on trail rides every so often, I wouldn't need one of those DoT numbers, right?

Never realized there was so much involved.

Thanks for all the info. :)

covekat

I also believe that it's illegal to drive with a bumper pull on the NJ Turnpike...I'll have to do some digging, but remember hearing about that one!