Governor Governor Hogan Announces New Chief Legal Counsel

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
Michael Pedone, Assistant Secretary at Maryland Department of the Environment, to Succeed Robert F. Scholz

ANNAPOLIS, MD—Governor Larry Hogan today announced the appointment of Michael T. Pedone, Assistant Secretary at the Maryland Department of the Environment, as new Chief Legal Counsel. Pedone will succeed Robert F. Scholz, who is retiring after serving as chief counsel since the start of the Hogan administration.

“Michael Pedone has compiled an impressive record as an attorney with experience in both the public and private sectors,” said Governor Hogan. “I am proud to welcome him to our team as we continue our efforts to change Maryland for the better. Bob Scholz has been a highly valued member of my administration since day one, and I want to sincerely thank him for his dedicated service to our state.”

Prior to joining the Maryland Department of the Environment, Pedone was the General Counsel for Tradepoint Atlantic (TPA), where he was responsible for all legal and risk-management affairs of the company. He joined TPA after serving as the Vice President and General Counsel of its parent company, Redwood Capital Investments, a private investment fund with more than $1 billion in assets under management. For nearly a decade before joining Redwood Capital, Pedone was an attorney in the corporate practice group at the Washington, D.C.-based law firm Venable LLP, where he represented public and private companies in mergers and acquisitions, financings, and complex commercial transactions. During his tenure at Venable, he was recognized two years in a row by Chambers USA as one of Maryland’s leading corporate lawyers, and also as a “Rising Star” by Maryland Super Lawyers magazine. Pedone received a Bachelor of Business Administration degree from Loyola College and a Juris Doctor degree from the University of Maryland School of Law, where he was an editor of the Maryland Law Review.

“To serve as Governor Hogan’s chief legal counsel will be an immense honor, and I am grateful to him for the opportunity,” said Pedone. “I look forward to continuing to work in this administration on behalf of the people of Maryland.”

“It has been a tremendous privilege for me to be part of the Hogan administration since day one and to work for Marylanders over the last five years,” said Scholz. “I want to wish Mike Pedone all the best as he inherits an outstanding team at the Office of Legal Counsel.”

-###-