Governor Governor Hogan Attends State Department Luncheon In Honor of Prime Minister of Australia

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
Following Diplomatic Luncheon, Departs for Australia for Joint Infrastructure and Economic Development Mission

ANNAPOLIS, MDGovernor Larry Hogan today attended a State Department luncheon in honor of the state visit of Prime Minister Scott Morrison of Australia. Following the diplomatic luncheon—which included Vice President Pence, Secretary of State Michael Pompeo, Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao, and Australian Ambassador Joe Hockey—the governor departed for his joint infrastructure and economic development mission in Australia with engagements in Sydney, Adelaide, and Melbourne.

“It was my honor to attend today’s State Department luncheon on behalf of the people of Maryland and America’s governors,” said Governor Hogan, chairman of the National Governors Association (NGA). “I conferred with Vice President Pence and Prime Minister Morrison ahead of my infrastructure and economic development mission to Australia. Australia is one of our closest allies, and I look forward to reaffirming and building on our close economic and security ties.”

Sydney: NGA Infrastructure Initiative

As NGA chairman, Governor Hogan is leading a bipartisan delegation to Sydney to advance his yearlong infrastructure initiative. This is the first international visit as part of the initiative, which the governor launched in July.

Governor Hogan will meet with Michael McCormack, the deputy prime minister of Australia and minister for infrastructure, transport and regional development, and with South Australia Premier Steven Marshall, who chairs the Council for the Australian Federation, and New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian.

Adelaide and Melbourne: Maryland Economic Development Mission

Maryland Department of Commerce Secretary Kelly M. Schulz and Maryland Transportation Authority Executive Director James F. Ports will join Governor Hogan to meet with Australian companies to discuss opportunities for economic partnerships.

In Adelaide, Governor Hogan will speak at the 2019 Defence Industry Cyber Summit, which attracts over 200 government officials and cyber industry professionals from across Australia. In Melbourne, the governor’s delegation will meet with the Government of Southern Australia’s Department of Transport and the Victoria State Government’s Department of Jobs, Precincts, and Regions.

-###-