Governor Governor Hogan Directs Maryland State Police to Suspend ‘Good and Substantial Reason’ Standard For Wear and Carry Permits

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
Action Pursuant to Supreme Court Ruling Striking Down Similar Provision in New York Law

ANNAPOLIS, MD—Governor Larry Hogan today issued the following statement:

“Over the course of my administration, I have consistently supported the right of law-abiding citizens to own and carry firearms, while enacting responsible and common sense measures to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill.

“Last month, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a provision in New York law pertaining to handgun permitting that is virtually indistinguishable from Maryland law. In light of the ruling and to ensure compliance with the Constitution, I am directing the Maryland State Police to immediately suspend utilization of the ‘good and substantial reason’ standard when reviewing applications for Wear and Carry Permits. It would be unconstitutional to continue enforcing this provision in state law. There is no impact on other permitting requirements and protocols.

“Today’s action is in line with actions taken in other states in response to the recent ruling.”

TPD

the poor dad
I don't see this making a permit easier to obtain.
I went to the MSP website a couple hours ago as directed in the press release to apply for my carry permit. As of this writing I still have not received the email from them to finish setting up my account in order to fill out the application. Has anyone else tried today?

frequentflier

happy to be living
I went to the MSP website a couple hours ago as directed in the press release to apply for my carry permit. As of this writing I still have not received the email from them to finish setting up my account in order to fill out the application. Has anyone else tried today?
A friend tried today and it took her two hours to complete the paperwork.

Reactions: TPD

jrt_ms1995

Sorry, but they're so upset with the ruling that they can't do their jobs.

black dog

Free America
I don't see this making a permit easier to obtain.
Yes it will. Fifty years to late.

Now Govenor, make it free, God given Rights shouldn't be taxed.
And eliminate the stupid consealed handgun part, its not the governments business what or how a citizen carrys a firearm.

glhs837

Power with Control

Put my application in on the 18th, got this email today. Think it means my application didnt have any errors, and unless they find some felony Ive forgotten about, or one of my references says I'm a dirtbag, thats if they call them, I'll be good to go not long from now.

Your HGP application has been reviewed and the status changed to "Application Accepted." Your application is now awaiting assignment to a background investigator based on the order in which it was received. It is not necessary to contact the HGP section for a "status check" as you will automatically receive an email when your application is assigned to a background investigator.

glhs837

Power with Control

Got the email saying I would receive the written verdict in the mail between 5-7 days yesterday. But the website shows "Approved". So not bad.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I emailed the MSP and got a clarification on prior military.
The person who answered my question stated that proof of Honorable Discharge
from Active Duty, Guard or Reserves does replace the training requirement.
They said any official document will suffice.

My Mrs. has her DD214. I have 2 of those plus a DD256 (proof of Reserve service).

Bare-ya-cuda

To those that have applied. Where did you get finger prints taken? I didn’t see anything closer than Waldorf for st Mary’s county

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
To those that have applied. Where did you get finger prints taken? I didn’t see anything closer than Waldorf for st Mary’s county
Prince Fredrick, Main Street. I'll see if I can find the name of the place.

In and out in under 15 minutes.