Governor Governor Hogan Statement on Passing of Former Maryland House Speaker R. Clayton Mitchell Jr.

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
ANNAPOLIS, MD⁠—Governor Larry Hogan issued the following statement this morning on the passing of R. Clayton Mitchell Jr., former Speaker of the Maryland House of Delegates:

“We are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of our 104th Speaker of the House of Delegates, and my good friend, R. Clayton Mitchell, Jr. As an Army veteran and distinguished member of the legislature, Speaker Mitchell leaves an indelible mark on our great state. His countless contributions include fighting to modernize Maryland’s transportation infrastructure, and last year, I was proud to dedicate the Route 50 Bridge over the Kent Narrows in Speaker Mitchell’s honor.

“Speaker Clay Mitchell was a man for whom I had tremendous respect and admiration. He dedicated his life to serving others and will always be remembered as an icon on the Eastern Shore. The prayers of Marylanders are with the Mitchell family during this difficult time.”

Effective immediately, Maryland flags will fly at half-staff in honor of Speaker Mitchell until sunset on the day of his interment.

-###-

[ This article originally appeared here ]