Governor's $15 veto overridden

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Today

The Maryland General Assembly voted Thursday to override the governor's veto of the $15 minimum wage bill.

The bill raises the state's minimum wage from $10.10 to $15 an hour by 2025 for businesses with 15 or more employees.

The first increase will be to $11 an hour next year. Companies with fewer than 14 workers will have until July 2026 to reach $15.

California, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York have approved a $15 minimum wage, as has the District of Columbia.

States neighboring Maryland have a much lower minimum wage.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Is this even news?
The longer I watch these baffoons, the less hope I have for the survival of the republic and even mankind.
Here are what I see as the requirements for being a politician.
  • Be able to lie with a smile on your face
  • Be able to ignore facts and follow the herd
  • Have little or no real world experience and ignore those that do
  • Be able to get up each morning, look at yourself in the mirror, and not want to kill the person you see
I've never held politicians, including lobbyists, in very high regard. In general I think they are of low IQ and tend to be amoral.
The cannot be embarresed because they are amoral.

MiddleGround

I see people losing their jobs because of this

I see a lot of people just plain quitting their jobs over this. When people find out they can't get the freebies from the government because they now make too much money, they will quit. Its easier to sit on their azz at home watching daytime TV and collecting the free check then it is to work 40 hours a week and make a few bucks more.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I see a lot of people just plain quitting their jobs over this. When people find out they can't get the freebies from the government because they now make too much money, they will quit. Its easier to sit on their azz at home watching daytime TV and collecting the free check then it is to work 40 hours a week and make a few bucks more.
Not, to worry. The government will just raise the poverty level to $30,000 a year so they can keep getting their free crap......just sayin’

BernieP

Resident PIA
Really good artical I saw online
There Are Two Marylands, and One Refuses to Listen to the Other

On the map, Maryland is not a large state, but economically it’s big enough to encompass a stark contrast between a prosperous midsection and a deeply depressed periphery two hours’ drive to the east or west. One thing we’ve learned in this year’s debate over a statewide $15 minimum wage, now set to become law after the legislature overrode Gov. Larry Hogan’s (R) veto today, is that affluent central Maryland doesn’t want to listen to hard-hit rural Maryland.
In the debate over the $15 minimum wage, lawmakers from Montgomery County, Baltimore City and Howard County were nearly unanimously in favor, with most delegates supporting strong versions of the scheme. Meanwhile, most lawmakers from depressed parts of the state were passionately opposed.

Guess who had the numbers to outvote whom?

Both chambers rejected the rural lawmakers’ plea to depart from a uniform $15 in favor of letting the rate vary by county or region within the state. Behind this regional divide is a simple fact: Affluent sections of Maryland can vote for $15 without much worry that a large share of their job base will disappear. Poor counties can’t.

Southern Maryland (Charles, St. Mary's and Calvert) were not included in either the "middle section" or the "rural section".
But interesting to note the results they are seeing in Seattle as the full extend of their wage increase goes into effect.

Popster

My question is "What year?" After years of hearing that raising the min wage would result in disastrous results for # of Jobs and the economy, I spent some time a couple of years ago looking at the figures. The min wage has been increased a number of times since its inception in the New Deal. (the number 17 is in my brain, but I don't know for certain). I couldn't find any examples of the raising of the min wage having a bad effect on the economy.

I would like to see if anyone can provide the year to prove these claims. the arguments I found suggest that demand increases since min wage folks tend to spend all their money.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Teens and minorities ....

If my store has an opening and I have a choice between a teen with no experience and an adult with a work history, sorry but I probably won't hire the teen. Several years ago, I took the chance on two different girls in high school. Both did pretty well. considering they had no experience.

Today, sad to say, I don't know that I would give a high schooler a chance at the current minimum wage (over $10).

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
If my store has an opening and I have a choice between a teen with no experience and an adult with a work history,

we are lucky in this area ....

.... out in the hinterlands, people are waiting for the oldest senior citizen to die off so a slot opens at the local fast foods restaurant, for another retiree ..... nobody is hiring a teen

Goldenhawk

I couldn't find any examples of the raising of the min wage having a bad effect on the economy.
I think the problem is with the effect on the PEOPLE it's supposed to help, not the economy. It forces businesses to hire fewer unskilled employees.

And I think you'd be hard pressed to spot the effects in any economic data, since it's just one signal among many. In fact, some argue that it's good for the economy, since it forces development of more efficient practices, such as kiosk ordering for McDonalds. Lousy for McD employees, but great for high-tech industry. In effect, it forces economic activity higher in the economic stack, so that the poor get poorer, while the overall earnings still go up because the profits and business activity benefit the middle and upper class.

This is a typical problem for liberal policies: they SOUND good and have good visuals on the nightly news, but typically result in the actual opposite effects over time. They create more problems (which ironically give the liberal politicians more things to fix, thus keeping them permanently voted into office).

sparkyaclown

In fact, some argue that it's good for the economy, since it forces development of more efficient practices, such as kiosk ordering for McDonalds. Lousy for McD employees, but great for high-tech industry.

In my opinion you will start to see more of this as technologies that weren't cost effective to implement become cheaper and more reliable than paying several minimum wage employees.

TPD

the poor dad
I have hired many 14-17 year olds during my 15+ years in retail. I have hired kids just to give them a chance at their first job, not that I really needed them. Under the new $15/hr minimum wage law, I will not be hiring teenagers just to give them a chance or teach them about the workplace. Even at 85% wage or $12.75/hr most teenagers are not worth this. WTH are these politicians thinking?! SMDH

Makavide

Not too talkative
Last month, Maryland became the sixth state in the nation to approve a gradual minimum wage increase to $15 an hour. The American Action Forum predicts the move could cost the state 94,600 jobs.
"For perspective, this is equivalent to eliminating nearly 50 percent of projected job growth between 2016 and 2026," Ben Gitis, director of labor market policy at American Action Forum, wrote. "Maryland is not in a strong position to absorb this shock, as it continued to experience below-average job growth while the state implemented its previous minimum wage hike from 2014 to 2018."