GPS Chart Plotters - PC or standalone?

workaholic

Save the Tatas!!!
OK I am looking at buying a GPS chartplotter for the boat this year. I am thinking I want something PC (Laptop) based so I can just bring my laptop with me, through out a GPS receiver and punch in where I want to go. Something that will give me real time location, Lat/Long, and all the good stuff I get on my chart books.

Does anyone have any recommendations or reasons why or why not to go with the PC based system?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Personally I'd go with a standalone Chartplotter, laptops and water don't mix too well.

SPF001

I have a Garmin. If you are going to be in the rivers get the blue charts pre loaded. They are very detailed and show bottom contours. I am still contemplating getting the XM weather feature to pick up storms but I am starting to get used to the radar and may not need that function.

SPF

LordStanley

I know nothing
OK I am looking at buying a GPS chartplotter for the boat this year. I am thinking I want something PC (Laptop) based so I can just bring my laptop with me, through out a GPS receiver and punch in where I want to go. Something that will give me real time location, Lat/Long, and all the good stuff I get on my chart books.

Does anyone have any recommendations or reasons why or why not to go with the PC based system?

I just bought a Standard Horizon CP180 plus a chart card for the whole US at thegpsstore.com.

Kom has a great point... Unless your boat has an enclosed Cockpit, your laptop will not be the best choice.

workaholic

Save the Tatas!!!
thanks for your inputs. I think I am going towards a standalone unit. I do have an enclosed cockpit and it would be protected from the elements. However I am thinking about rough seas and now maybe something that has an auto-pilot ability. That will definitely be nice for a few different occasions. (i.e.- when you have to go below to use the head or fix a drink. LOL) I have some research to do to see what model I want to go with. I will let you all know what unit I go with. Thanks.

bcp

In My Opinion
I plug my garmin into the PC and just do the charting there, I add waypoints and such.
I can program it to show underwater dangers, bouys, everything, even have all the fuel stops marked along the way.
Ive never had the need to bring a puter along with me since I pretty much know where Im going before I leave.

put your favorite fishing spots in as waypoints, then when you are on the water you just have to send it from one point to the other, everything is already programed that way.