Great Backyard Bird Count...

Rael

Supper's Ready
4 days and counting. Who's in?

Ø To enter your bird count checklists, go to http://www.birdcount.org on the weekend of the count and click on the big “Enter your Checklists” button. Note: This button will not appear until 7:00 AM February 13.

Ø Don’t forget to upload your images for the GBBC photo contest! You can submit photos from February 13 through March 1 (a link to a page where you can upload photos will appear on www.birdcount.org on February 13). A select number of photos will be posted in the online gallery during the four days of the GBBC.

jetmonkey

My cat used to sit on the picnic table in the backyard. A mockingbird would dive bomb him from the trees, and he just sat there. Over the course of a few weeks the bird moved from the tree to the power line to the fence to the clothes line, and eventually I saw him sitting on the picnic table screaming at my cat. Then I didn't see him anymore.

L

luckystar

My cat used to sit on the picnic table in the backyard. A mockingbird would dive bomb him from the trees, and he just sat there. Over the course of a few weeks the bird moved from the tree to the power line to the fence to the clothes line, and eventually I saw him sitting on the picnic table screaming at my cat. Then I didn't see him anymore.

Good kitty.

jetmonkey

We’d like to remind you that the 12th annual Great Backyard Bird Count takes place this coming Friday through Monday, Februrary 13-16.

We hope you’ll join bird watchers in your town and across North America who are planning to tally the birds they see in backyards, parks, nature centers, and public lands. Just watch birds for at least 15 minutes and tally the highest number of each species you see together at any one time. Then file your reports online at Great Backyard Bird Count — Great Backyard Bird Count where you can see results showing up on our maps in real time.

Attachments

• hippo_bump.jpg
    hippo_bump.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 124

KurtPreston

It was an excellent day for the backyard bird count. I am participating in Project FeederWatch this year as well. After the last couple of gusty days, the birds were out in droves at the feeder :)

jetmonkey

My mourning doves and bluejays are starting to come back, had a big flock of red winged blackbirds today, too!

Rael

Supper's Ready
Canada Goose 32 (not sure if they were Canada geese, just geese)
Turkey Vulture 12
Mourning Dove 6
Northern Flicker 3
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Blue Jay 3
American Crow 11 (could have been mixed in with other blackbirds)
Carolina Chickadee 6
Tufted Titmouse 4
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Carolina Wren 3 (can't distinguish between carolinas and house wrens yet)
Eastern Bluebird 10
American Robin 6
White-throated Sparrow 7
Dark-eyed Junco 8
Northern Cardinal 12
House Finch 3
Pine Siskin 16
American Goldfinch 7

On the website, I cheated and put two bald eagles because I saw them the other day) :lol:

jetmonkey

Turkey Vulture 12
Mourning Dove 6
Northern Flicker 3
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Blue Jay 3
Carolina Chickadee 6
Tufted Titmouse 4
Eastern Bluebird 10
American Robin 6
White-throated Sparrow 7
Dark-eyed Junco 8
Northern Cardinal 12
House Finch 3
Pine Siskin 16
American Goldfinch 7

On the website, I cheated and put two bald eagles because I saw them the other day) :lol:

I took an estimate of our vultures the other evening and arrived at around 90. There were too many to count so I counted the number of sections, then counted the number of them in one section and multiplied. They were hissing and fussing at each other and jostling because there were so many, it was pretty interesting.

Rael

Supper's Ready
I took an estimate of our vultures the other evening and arrived at around 90. There were too many to count so I counted the number of sections, then counted the number of them in one section and multiplied. They were hissing and fussing at each other and jostling because there were so many, it was pretty interesting.

I don't get too many of them hanging out in my yard, but there are lots of them in our neighborhood. Once I saw a whole lot of them decide to sit on the branches behind our house (like 30 or more), and thought "man, are these guys trying to tell me something?" :lol:

And once, a very young one barely able to fly was trying to land on the brick siding of my house. Very clumsy, and cool to watch.

I'll go out tomorrow morning and count again, see if I find any other ones. :yay:

kayakangler

FISH OR DIE
i have to get on the ball..

funny this post came up.. this morning i saw a female cardinal at my feeder... I had no food in it... so i filled it up...

OldHillcrestGuy

if you put seed out switch from black oil to safflower; grackles love black oil but leave if safflower is the only offering

I'll try that, I hate when I put out seed for the other birds and those ba$tard's come in and clean out the feeders. They seem to be about 2 weeks earlier this year then what I remember in past years when they show up.

KurtPreston

Chuckle, a couple of years ago I got up in the morning and looked out the window to check the birds at the feeders and saw a peacock hen :) Besides ... hens aren't birds, they are classified as 'groceries'.

KurtPreston

Turkey Vulture 12
Mourning Dove 6
Northern Flicker 3
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Blue Jay 3
Carolina Chickadee 6
Tufted Titmouse 4
Eastern Bluebird 10
American Robin 6
White-throated Sparrow 7
Dark-eyed Junco 8
Northern Cardinal 12
House Finch 3
Pine Siskin 16
American Goldfinch 7

American Crow: 2
Eastern Bluebird: 1
White Throated Sparrow: 4
Dark Eyed Junco: 7
Common Grackle: 6
Red Winged blackbird: 4 (travelling with the grackles)
House Sparrow: 2
Northern Cardinal: 3
Blue Jay: 3
White Breasted Nuthatch: 2
Downy Woodpecker: 2
Red Bellied Woodpecker: 2
American Goldfinch: 3
Hooded Merganser: 3 (out back of Lowe's in the stormwater pond)
Mourning Dove: 2
Carolina Chickadee: 3
Tufted Titmouse: 3
Eastern Towhee: 1 (saw the male and female separately, but since you can only count them as two if you see them together)
European Starling: 3
Carolina Wren: 1