Great Christmas

HorseRiding God

When I was a small child, I used to wish for a horse, I did not care if it were pink with purple polka dots. My folks would never let me have one, but did get me lessons with a local gal near the small town I lived near in Waverly, Iowa. I took lessons and rode her horses for several years.

Then my family moved to Missouri. We found a place out in the country, all the kids around had horses, and I would ride a neighbor's horse, Molly, that was 35 years old, but it was still a horse. That Christmas season, I got to work, I prayed for a horse into the air vents hoping that my folks would hear me, as well as God...Every night the same thing for at least a month.

Christmas morning came and we were all unwrapping gifts, I got a saddle pad in one box, brushes in another, halters etc. Man was I excited. I just knew I would be getting a horse. The last box under the tree was VERY heavy, I opened it, and there was a sack of kitty litter with a certificate in it from the neighbors. It read "You can ride Molly anytime without asking for 1 year" My folks were all smiles and I was in tears.... My grandma was so disgusted with my behavior, but I was crushed.

Well as our tradition goes, after gifts we eat eggs benedict, and go on with out Christmas day, playing games or with our gifts. I was still sad. Then my dad asked me to go help him bring in firewood for the fireplace. Oh...sure, that sounds like fun. But I put on my coat and boots and went out. As we rounded the corner, There, tied to a tree was a horse. Not just a horse, but Mary Lu, the young horse I had helped train up in Iowa. My folks had her hauled down for me. I was in tears again, but not from being sad, I was so excited! This was the best Christmas I have ever had, and probably ever will. The funny thing is, my folks know NOTHING about horses, and I guess half of their memories of that Christmas had to do with walking up to another neighbors farm and trying to get her to bring her down to the house at 5:00 a.m. They did not have a halter, a feed bucket to bring her up etc. But the people in the house got up and helped them out.

They tied the filly to the garage door at first, and we all know what happened there..... So the neighbor that owned Molly saw her loose and came over and tied her to the tree that I found her at. What a Christmas, it makes me smile every time I think of it.

K

KizerSoSay

HorseRiding God said:
When I was a small child, I used to wish for a horse, I did not care if it were pink with purple polka dots. My folks would never let me have one, but did get me lessons with a local gal near the small town I lived near in Waverly, Iowa. I took lessons and rode her horses for several years.

Then my family moved to Missouri. We found a place out in the country, all the kids around had horses, and I would ride a neighbor's horse, Molly, that was 35 years old, but it was still a horse. That Christmas season, I got to work, I prayed for a horse into the air vents hoping that my folks would hear me, as well as God...Every night the same thing for at least a month.

Christmas morning came and we were all unwrapping gifts, I got a saddle pad in one box, brushes in another, halters etc. Man was I excited. I just knew I would be getting a horse. The last box under the tree was VERY heavy, I opened it, and there was a sack of kitty litter with a certificate in it from the neighbors. It read "You can ride Molly anytime without asking for 1 year" My folks were all smiles and I was in tears.... My grandma was so disgusted with my behavior, but I was crushed.

Well as our tradition goes, after gifts we eat eggs benedict, and go on with out Christmas day, playing games or with our gifts. I was still sad. Then my dad asked me to go help him bring in firewood for the fireplace. Oh...sure, that sounds like fun. But I put on my coat and boots and went out. As we rounded the corner, There, tied to a tree was a horse. Not just a horse, but Mary Lu, the young horse I had helped train up in Iowa. My folks had her hauled down for me. I was in tears again, but not from being sad, I was so excited! This was the best Christmas I have ever had, and probably ever will. The funny thing is, my folks know NOTHING about horses, and I guess half of their memories of that Christmas had to do with walking up to another neighbors farm and trying to get her to bring her down to the house at 5:00 a.m. They did not have a halter, a feed bucket to bring her up etc. But the people in the house got up and helped them out.

They tied the filly to the garage door at first, and we all know what happened there..... So the neighbor that owned Molly saw her loose and came over and tied her to the tree that I found her at. What a Christmas, it makes me smile every time I think of it.

Nice story. :howdy:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
HorseRiding God said:

Nice memory. So tell me, did you really like Missouri because I was looking at some farmland there to purchase for later. Where abouts in Missouri did you live. There are some beautiful farms there as well as Kentucky, so it's a toss up at this point.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
SouthernMdRocks said:
Nice memory. So tell me, did you really like Missouri because I was looking at some farmland there to purchase for later. Where abouts in Missouri did you live. There are some beautiful farms there as well as Kentucky, so it's a toss up at this point.

OMG...we went through Missourri a few years back, and I went to use the restroom...but ran out and got my husband because there was a spider that was about 3 inches big on the floor. My brave man went in, (door closed) and I heard a scream...the spider unfolded its legs...jumped up and started up his arm...it was HUGE! So....to me Missourri = beautiful farms and BIG SCARY SPIDERS! :) :lmao: :whistle:

SouthernMdRocks

appendixqh said:
OMG...we went through Missourri a few years back, and I went to use the restroom...but ran out and got my husband because there was a spider that was about 3 inches big on the floor. My brave man went in, (door closed) and I heard a scream...the spider unfolded its legs...jumped up and started up his arm...it was HUGE! So....to me Missourri = beautiful farms and BIG SCARY SPIDERS! :) :lmao: :whistle:

Oh my, I don't like spiders. :lmao:

K

Katie

That is like me & snakes. I don't care how small they are. I will run when I see a snake.

I am up the creek if we move to Florida.

fredsaid2

appendixqh said:
No its not...who on earth ties a horse to a garage door? :coffee:

I'm sure it was quite a long time ago and he said his parents were not horsy at all. Probably seemed like the best idea to them at the time :smile: Non horsy parents can be the best and the worst. My parents did a similar thing for me, bought me a Christmas pony. I sorta ruined the surprise when I opened the present with the bridle before seeing her. She was your standard edition roan pony MARE, biaotch of the farm. Lessons didn't even cross my Dad's mind. Somehow I was supposed to know everything already. As others have posted, how hard could it be? They made me ride in a 1/2 acre fenced paddock then turned me loose on the whole of the county. My sisters and I rode everywhere. We were too ignorant to think it could possibly be dangerous! Fun times!

K

KizerSoSay

Katie said:
That is like me & snakes. I don't care how small they are. I will run when I see a snake.

I am up the creek if we move to Florida.

It is the bugs you have to worry about in Florida. Sanitation truck sized Palmetto bugs in the grass and around the pool. Humidity and heat grows 'em big down there.

SouthernMdRocks

fredsaid2 said:
I'm sure it was quite a long time ago and he said his parents were not horsy at all. Probably seemed like the best idea to them at the time :smile: Non horsy parents can be the best and the worst. My parents did a similar thing for me, bought me a Christmas pony. I sorta ruined the surprise when I opened the present with the bridle before seeing her. She was your standard edition roan pony MARE, biaotch of the farm. Lessons didn't even cross my Dad's mind. Somehow I was supposed to know everything already. As others have posted, how hard could it be? They made me ride in a 1/2 acre fenced paddock then turned me loose on the whole of the county. My sisters and I rode everywhere. We were too ignorant to think it could possibly be dangerous! Fun times!

We did some crazy things riding when we were young..and of course never wore a helmet.

SouthernMdRocks

KizerSoSay said:
It is the bugs you have to worry about in Florida. Sanitation truck sized Palmetto bugs in the grass and around the pool. Humidity and heat grows 'em big down there.

The roaches running down the streets in New Orleans were huge...could of saddled them up!! :yikes:

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
fredsaid2 said:

That is funny! :lmao:

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
KizerSoSay said:

How would you handle the fire ants and the Horses in Florida??

K

KizerSoSay

SouthernMdRocks said:
The roaches running down the streets in New Orleans were huge...could of saddled them up!! :yikes:

God don't get me started on New Orleans. I was in a restroom in a nice restaurant down there, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw the trash can move. I thought it was the effect of 2 Hurricanes, but it kept moving. I kicked it over, and a damn roach as big as a Snickers bar was under there! Well, Homey does not play that, so I screamed bloody murder and ran out. It was a fancy place, too... :ohwell:

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
HorseRiding God said:
I used to wish for a horse, I did not care if it were pink with purple polka dots.

Nice story, but the pink with purple polka dots does have me wondering if you do your bareback bronc riding on Brokeback Mountain? :whistle:

SouthernMdRocks

mygoldnhorse said:
Nice story, but the pink with purple polka dots does have me wondering if you do your bareback bronc riding on Brokeback Mountain? :whistle:

Good observation MGH.....
Answer that one HGod!!!! :tap: