Great Mills Hornets

Zguy28

I'm a Chopticon Alum but I got to give it to Great Mills, they are doing a great job this year.

dolemite

THIRD DOWN

Don't Pinch The Hornets

If this is a dream, no one at Great Mills wants to wake up. After years as one of the worst programs in Maryland, the Hornets are off to their best start in 14 seasons at 3-1 with a 14-12 win over Northern on Friday. "A lot of our kids are still kind of shocked," said Coach Bill Griffith, who is in his 11th year. "They're flying high right now and starting to realize what they're capable of." Led by 13 seniors who have started for four years, Great Mills ended a 20-game losing streak by winning its season opener and has posted two shutouts this season after not holding an opponent scoreless since 1997.

dolemite

95 was a good year for GM Hornets we had 5 or 6 shutouts and held other teams to 55 points all season long. We went 8-2 and were robbed of the playoffs for the stupid points they went by. Westlake, Lackey and Great Mills all went 8-2 that year. I seriously loved the 49-0 victory we got over Chopticon that year. On our old field were the parking lot is now. May I add that we went 6-0 at home before they moved the old field.

Are there any players who can remember the old field house? Coach Hoop use to say "Take it to the House". I tell my players that now in Pee Wee football when there going for the Touchdown.

chess

low 5... hi 5......
Hoop was a great guy... they havent been good really since 97.. .they had a few good players on there as well...

early 90's they were good...but after Hoop stepped down they were terrible up until this year.... which is good to see !

Peepaw95

THIRD DOWN

Don't Pinch The Hornets

If this is a dream, no one at Great Mills wants to wake up. After years as one of the worst programs in Maryland, the Hornets are off to their best start in 14 seasons at 3-1 with a 14-12 win over Northern on Friday. "A lot of our kids are still kind of shocked," said Coach Bill Griffith, who is in his 11th year. "They're flying high right now and starting to realize what they're capable of." Led by 13 seniors who have started for four years, Great Mills ended a 20-game losing streak by winning its season opener and has posted two shutouts this season after not holding an opponent scoreless since 1997.
This is a great stride forward for Great Mills. The part that upsets me is the reference to being one of the worst programs in Maryland. I think that something like "After many losing seasons", or "After several disappoining seasons" would have been much better.

Zguy28

This is a great stride forward for Great Mills. The part that upsets me is the reference to being one of the worst programs in Maryland. I think that something like "After many losing seasons", or "After several disappoining seasons" would have been much better.
Use it. Turn it into determination.

betaswim1379

as a someone that has been involved with SMAC football for a few years, I have to say that this is one of the best Great Mills teams that I have seen. The hard work of the players and staff are finally showing.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Interesting side line: Having two boys at GMHS I am understandably excited, however when I asked them if the football team's success was mentioned officially during announcements or during the day they told me: no, nothing.
Seems to me any success would be telegraphed through the school. Not only for athletics but school morale, which might inspire other kids to look up and do more than what they are doing.
Apparently during homecoming week the various social activities supersede any opportunity (however briefly) to boast about a success.

Zguy28

Interesting side line: Having two boys at GMHS I am understandably excited, however when I asked them if the football team's success was mentioned officially during announcements or during the day they told me: no, nothing.
Seems to me any success would be telegraphed through the school. Not only for athletics but school morale, which might inspire other kids to look up and do more than what they are doing.
Apparently during homecoming week the various social activities supersede any opportunity (however briefly) to boast about a success.
I see that as a good thing. "Pride comes before the fall". You don't want their heads swelling up and then they play down to another team and get beat.

I'd rather have quiet determination and humility than boasting. Sounds like that's what's happening. :buddies:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The students know about the team's success. They don't have to hear about it in the morning announcements, but that would be a nice gesture as would the success or accomplishments of any student or school team.