Great Mills Rd into Gate 2 right lane

Goldenhawk

Note to the jerkish lady in a maroon minivan at lunchtime: Stop honking and getting all pushy and nasty. The rightmost lane from Great Mills Road onto southbound Rt 235 is NOT a turn-only lane. It's a thru lane which also happens to have a green turn arrow. If I was turning, I certainly wouldn't have made you sit there for the entire light cycle.

With that said, there OUGHT to be a right-turn-only lane to southbound 235 at that intersection. It would help the morning and lunchtime traffic at the intersection.

TreeRat

Always a Good Target
Are you really saying limiting Gate 2 traffic to one lane in the morning and lunch return would eliminate this problem?

TR

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
Are you really saying limiting Gate 2 traffic to one lane in the morning and lunch return would eliminate this problem?

TR

I think that expanding the road to contain the turn lane is the suggestion. Of course if you are going to turn right, you could turn at habitat for humanity and not worry about the light.

FED_UP

TR

Your reading too fast, OP is saying add an additional right turn lane only. Give OP more credit, ha ha.

BernieP

Resident PIA
adding a turn lane would require condeming buildings on one or both sides of the road (to expand the width). When you do that the sidewalks (which they just spent money to put in) would not align.
But the worst part would be losing those historic buildings, what would you do if Linda's had to close?

:sarcasm: x 4

C

czygvtwkr

Want to turn right there without waiting on cars going straight, turn down south coral drive a block prior.

What annoys me are the people coming from the south trying to shoehorn their way into gate 2 while the people going straight have a green light and some may be stuck out in traffic because they didn't expect the people turning onto their lane to be douches.

Want to turn right there without waiting on cars going straight, turn down south coral drive a block prior.

What annoys me are the people coming from the south trying to shoehorn their way into gate 2 while the people going straight have a green light and some may be stuck out in traffic because they didn't expect the people turning onto their lane to be douches.

Yep.

Goldenhawk

I think that expanding the road to contain the turn lane is the suggestion. Of course if you are going to turn right, you could turn at habitat for humanity and not worry about the light.

That was exactly my suggestion - add another lane. And there is something like 20-25 feet from road to building wall - plenty of room to add a turn lane. <sarcasm>No demolition of the thrift store required, sorry.</sarcasm>

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
That was exactly my suggestion - add another lane. And there is something like 20-25 feet from road to building wall - plenty of room to add a turn lane. <sarcasm>No demolition of the thrift store required, sorry.</sarcasm>

Why not just add a cut through that goes through the thrift store. Then they can shop while they drive.

GopherM

Darwin was right
adding a turn lane would require condeming buildings on one or both sides of the road (to expand the width). When you do that the sidewalks (which they just spent money to put in) would not align.
But the worst part would be losing those historic buildings, what would you do if Linda's had to close?

:sarcasm: x 4

Wouldn't it be horrible to condemn buildings that should be condemned anyway. Those buildings that front Great Mills on the south side have been vacant for decades. Obrien Realty was there for a while. The one on the corner was unoccupied when I first moved here in 1972.

You might be able to create a turn lane by leveling those eye sores and not impact the consignment store behind it (the old McKay's grocery store) and the rest of the shops in that row.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Wouldn't it be horrible to condemn buildings that should be condemned anyway. Those buildings that front Great Mills on the south side have been vacant for decades. Obrien Realty was there for a while. The one on the corner was unoccupied when I first moved here in 1972.

You might be able to create a turn lane by leveling those eye sores and not impact the consignment store behind it (the old McKay's grocery store) and the rest of the shops in that row.

I'm thinking to be effective (i.e. to make people happy) you would have to run that lane all the way back to St. Mary's Square
Liquour store - gone
A&E - gone
Roses - gone... oops, county already got that one.

:)

Beta

Smile!

Yes! THIS is always annoys me! People have no common sense when driving sometimes. When you're either making the left turn into Gate 2 or pulling straight from Great Mills, you should NEVER YIELD to someone turning in from the right lane! :banghead: You have the green light for a reason and it helps people get through the intersection when you KEEP GOING. The people making a right can go whenever there's free space, such as when they have the green or when Gate 2 has the green, which is around half of the light cycle. Letting the lights handle yielding/merging allows more people to get through the intersection and doesn't cause potential rear-end collisions when someone decides to stop, "be nice," and let people through. :dork:

[/rant] :dance:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Yes! THIS is always annoys me! People have no common sense when driving sometimes. When you're either making the left turn into Gate 2 or pulling straight from Great Mills, you should NEVER YIELD to someone turning in from the right lane! :banghead: You have the green light for a reason and it helps people get through the intersection when you KEEP GOING. The people making a right can go whenever there's free space, such as when they have the green or when Gate 2 has the green, which is around half of the light cycle. Letting the lights handle yielding/merging allows more people to get through the intersection and doesn't cause potential rear-end collisions when someone decides to stop, "be nice," and let people through. :dork:

[/rant] :dance:
I can't like it twice so let's QFT
100 % in agreement. Not letting them in isn't rude, it's being courtious to the vehicles behind you that are left hanging.
If the light is timed to allow 10 cars through, and you let one in from the right, it backs up the other road.