Great Mills & Rte 5

BernieP

Resident PIA
Especially now that there is a four-way intersection there, anyone not turning right at the First Colony light technically should not be in the turn lane. I guess the backup is often so long, however, that it's simply impractical to enforce it.
It's the entire length of 234 north and south bound where there is 'turn lane". People dive into the "turn lane" at Wildewood heading south so they don't have to wait in traffic to make the right - cutting right thru FDR.
It don'e matter if it's north or south, or rush hour at WalMart either.
I think I did not the MPD grabbing people at the Catholic Church just before Exploration on occasion.
The turn lanes have turned into express lanes for the privileged or so they think.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Earlier then they were supposed to turn - there's the turn cut out for people that are actually turning into the housing and as far as I know, those that are actually turning onto Great Mills Road aren't supposed to go into the far right turn lane until they've passed the turn for the housing. Isn't that what people were getting ticketed for a while back?
Actually, I had a conversation with the police one of the times they were running their shoulder-driving traps probably last year. I specifically asked, if you're coming along Rt 5 south and plan to turn right on to Great Mills Road, do you have to wait until after Bay Ridge neighborhood's turn to get into the turn lane...or can you get in it as soon as it begins before Bay Ridge and continue on. He clarified it is indeed LEGAL to get in the turn lane when it begins before Bay Forest, even if you aren't turning until Great Mills Road. They were only there to get the people driving in the shoulder well before the turn lanes started.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Every county commissioner, regardless of their party, should be made to drive from LP to Callaway at 5 pm every work day for a month. Maybe then
FDR Blvd might seem a lot less important, and something might get done with the mess that is Rt 5 and GMR.

Both Great Mills Road and Rt. 5 are state roads, not county roads. The County Commissioners can't do much about state roads except to give state officials a hard time. There are long term plans to extend Pegg Road from its intersection with Chancellors Runs Road out to Rt. 5 near Callaway but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
There are long term plans to extend Pegg Road from its intersection with Chancellors Runs Road out to Rt. 5 near Callaway but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I was so happy when they announced that plan quite a few years ago. It's my understanding that it ran in to a big snag when the farm that the road would pass through could not be easily bought. There is a short lit bit of "new Pegg Rd" in the new housing development on east side of Indian Bridge Rd......can't see any of those homeowners wanting the road connected/extended now..LOL.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I was so happy when they announced that plan quite a few years ago. It's my understanding that it ran in to a big snag when the farm that the road would pass through could not be easily bought. There is a short lit bit of "new Pegg Rd" in the new housing development on east side of Indian Bridge Rd......can't see any of those homeowners wanting the road connected/extended now..LOL.

Yea... I have friends that live in the neighborhood off of Indian Bridge. Really confused me the first time they said they live off of Pegg. It's a really short stretch of road coming into that neighborhood.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yea... I have friends that live in the neighborhood off of Indian Bridge. Really confused me the first time they said they live off of Pegg. It's a really short stretch of road coming into that neighborhood.

Not sure if that's just wishful thinking or still part of the longer-term plan for a Pegg Rd connector. The county made Greg include some details in the layout and construction of Callaway Center specifically to accomodate the extension of 249 across and beyond Rt. 5.

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter
I know that...but I'm beginning to think it's just wishful thinking now that it would ever be completed in my lifetime.

Oh. Yea. I agree with you there. Look at FDR Blvd... It was first conceived in the 1970's and it's still years from being completed.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I was actually thinking about this thread because I was coming north from the college last night....

1. In reference to the post from DoWhat. Looks like they fixed the problem, took
  • Alternative 1 – No-Build
    Alternative 2 – Two Lanes with Existing Bridge
and
  • Option 3 - Close Old Great Mills Road Access to MD 5
:killingme

Actually what I was thinking about was the right turn lane (NB 5 onto GMR)
I can understand why people get in the lane "early". Doesn't the solid white line indicate you should not cross, that you can only change lanes on the broken white lines. Kind of the same deal on RT4 south approaching 235, if you want to turn right you have to get into the lane a half mile before the intersection.

Is it me, or did the state uck up painting the lines.