Great Mills & Rte 5

MiddleGround

I'll just leave this riiiiiight here with the logical inconsistency.

GOT DAMN! You people cannot keep up with a conversation to save your lives! Let me break it down 3rd grade style for you......

YOU: I drive NB on Rte 5 through the intersection and police have cracked down on shoulder runners THUS... eliminating the people using Old Great Mills Road to cut in at the lane merge.

Me: Those lane runners are now sitting in traffic BEFORE Rte 5 reaches Great Mills Road intersection thus meaning more congestion BEFORE Great Mills Road.

Also Me: The people using Old Great Mills Road had little to no effect on the overall traffic issues at that intersection

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Yo Dumba$$...

That traffic had little to no effect on the overall problem. There has been very little to no change in the backups at rush hour. Regardless of what people think of "the flow" it is still at least as bad as it was before the change at Old Great Mills.

Do us all a favor and re-read the conversation so you can catch up and not look like you are lost :yay:
The traffic is still backed up, Yes.
The traffic flow now, moves faster than it did before.
I drive it every day during the week.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
GOT DAMN! You people cannot keep up with a conversation to save your lives! Let me break it down 3rd grade style for you......

YOU: I drive NB on Rte 5 through the intersection and police have cracked down on shoulder runners THUS... eliminating the people using Old Great Mills Road to cut in at the lane merge.

Me: Those lane runners are now sitting in traffic BEFORE Rte 5 reaches Great Mills Road intersection thus meaning more congestion BEFORE Great Mills Road.

Also Me: The people using Old Great Mills Road had little to no effect on the overall traffic issues at that intersection
“Thou doth protest too much”

Sounds like you were a “former” shoulder runner and they took away your little shortcut......just sayin’

baxter

It has made a difference, if you coming from the Webster field direction. If your coming south on Great Mills Rd to Northbound RTE5, its still a mess. People don't understand its a zipper merge, I love coming through here everyday in my large Crane or other large vehicles I have. Came through the other day and some jackass in a Beemer with VA tags decides to try and pass me on the turn, its quite possible, other that being a jackass, he didn't see the Z06 Emblem on my corvette,,,,,,see YA

Goldenhawk

The police should probably send that memo to themselves. I've seen them use both the shoulder and turn lane to that neighborhood at least four times in the last two weeks. Apparently it annoys me enough that I remark about it every time I see it based on my son's comments of you already said that (insert exasperation here). It's probably the same cop - I come through there at the same time twice a week. Yesterday a car did it, a cop followed and I though good get him. Nope, they were both turning onto Great Mills just started early.
That's probably worth a call to the Sheriff's office, especially if you have dashcam footage. If they are on a call, it's perfectly legit, but then they should have their lights activated. If not, then they're doubly guilty - of breaking the law, and furthermore of demonstrating lawbreaking as an officer of the law.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Nope, they were both turning onto Great Mills just started early.
Define "early", based on 235 a half mile isn't early. My advice to anyone who slows down to turn into a drive way, signal and slow down WAY in advance, or you will get rear ended. I've seen people go straight thru intersections in the turn lane. The only thing that stops them is a physical barrier, white lines and signs mean nothing.

Goldenhawk

Define "early", based on 235 a half mile isn't early. My advice to anyone who slows down to turn into a drive way, signal and slow down WAY in advance, or you will get rear ended. I've seen people go straight thru intersections in the turn lane. The only thing that stops them is a physical barrier, white lines and signs mean nothing.
I've long been bothered that the police don't enforce the turn lane running on 235 NB before passing First Colony. I was taught that you never go through an intersection in a turn lane. Especially now that there is a four-way intersection there, anyone not turning right at the First Colony light technically should not be in the turn lane. I guess the backup is often so long, however, that it's simply impractical to enforce it.

With that said, the situation on Rt 5 NB at Bay Ridge Drive is a little different - it's NOT a turn lane until about 100 yards from Bay Ridge Drive. Further back, it's a true shoulder, and not a travel lane. Passing on THAT shoulder is using pavement that is by definition not part of the roadway. At least the 235 NB section is a turn lane, which IS part of the roadway. It's demarcated by a dashed white line, indicating that it's permissible to cross it.

I wonder how the people who live in Woodland Acres like having to join the long northbound turn lane backup just to get into their neighborhood.

PeoplesElbow

Iknowrite.... :) Now Hermanville/235, that place needs help...... :) (does really, but only becuase it's so crappily laid out that crashes are endemic.
I do believe the problem is inconsistent turn arrow behavior. Most of the time turning onto Forrest Park road gets a leading arrow, but I've experienced that leading arrow not being there on occasion. Only time I make this turn is about 6am.