Great way to wake up at 3 AM

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Love the idea of installing a pellet stove, but will not do so until I can run it if the electric goes out.
Why? Think of the wonderful heat and electric savings for the 99.9% of the time you DO have electric. Once it's installed and you are enjoying it, then figure out an emergency plan to power it on the RARE occasion we lose power.

A small, quiet 2000w generator is pretty cheap compared to the cost of a nice pellet stove. It's going to be a LONG time before they go the way of the dinosaur, you'll be long dead before that happens. Don't wait for that to happen, just do it.

With the line of work you guys are in, I'm really surprised you don't have a genny already.
I have zero desire to maintain a gas-powered generator during a storm. It is why I do not have one. But I would like a source of heat other than heat pump if necessary.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I have zero desire to maintain a gas-powered generator during a storm. It is why I do not have one. But I would like a source of heat other than heat pump if necessary.
Why not a propane furnace backup to go along with your heat pump? I have no issues with mine.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Propane fueled whole house genny is the way to go then.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Around 4 PM yesterday afternoon, I heard a terrible clattering coming from the outdoor unit of our office HVAC. The air exit on top had become blocked with ice and the poor compressor fan was trying to beat itself to death. So much heavy snow and slush fell here yesterday....

Set up a kerosene jet heater and proceeded to defrost the unit for the next hour and a half. Good thing it happened when it did...would probably have suffered permanent damage if it had happened after everyone left the building.

@TPD might recognize the heater.....

View attachment 161806
What in the hillbilly heaven are we looking at here? Did you run out of duct tape?

What an ingenious set up!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I think you're putting way too much stress on storm conditions, and ignoring the benefits of a pellet stove for the rest of the time. Not getting a pellet stove because it needs electric is, in my mind, no reason to wait.
Propane fueled whole house genny is the way to go then.
Is there natural gas in L'Town?

OccamsRazor

Ours works just fine. A HP was made for this location. Maryland, not so much.
If memory serves me right, heat pumps are not rated or supposed to be used where the temperature gets below ~34 degrees. Heat pumps in this area are terrible ideas.

Yes. Short of a old fashioned coal/wood stove or kerosene heater, everything needs electricity.
Thus why we haven't added any other source of heat yet. I do not want to rely on maintaining a gas generator. Waiting to see what the solar world comes up with since gas costs/availability will go on the wayside the next few years.

I think you're putting way too much stress on storm conditions, and ignoring the benefits of a pellet stove for the rest of the time. Not getting a pellet stove because it needs electric is, in my mind, no reason to wait.

Is there natural gas in L'Town?
Don't know and I'm not investing is full heat replacement relying on a source our government is planning to do away with in my lifetime.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Don't know and I'm not investing is full heat replacement relying on a source our government is planning to do away with in my lifetime.
Elon Musk to the rescue. this should power a pellet stove till the end of time.

Toxick

Splat
I have a big metal plate that I drag out in winter months to the middle of my living room floor. You can build a fire right in the middle of your living room.

You can also cook squirrels and otters and shit right there so you don't have to go into the kitchen or dining room.

Also it makes your house smell real good.

Otter

Nothing to see here
I have a big metal plate that I drag out in winter months to the middle of my living room floor. You can build a fire right in the middle of your living room.

You can also cook squirrels and otters and shit right there so you don't have to go into the kitchen or dining room.

Also it makes your house smell real good.
:burning: