Greetings from Abilene, TX!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There is just flat not a lot to do here. Museums, which we've seen a thousand of. Historic village, which we've seen a zillion times as well. A zoo (yawn).

But it seems like a thriving city with pleasant people. You could do a lot worse than to end up in Abilene, TX. There's lots of space and good jobs are plentiful, and the cost of living is low. It's a real city with real places to shop, eat, and drink. You wouldn't come here for vacation but you'd definitely want to live here.

Our RV park is nice. Spacious and super clean, with great bath houses (large singles) and plenty of recreation for adults and kids. The attraction for us was the lighted pickleball court, which we checked out today. We were joined by two kids here visiting their dad, and played bocce while they used our paddles to hit the ball around.

We may find something worth taking pics of. We haven't seen the downtown yet. Tomorrow night we're going to the drive-in movie (!) to see Joker. If I lived here that's what I'd do every single weekend.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Have you guys tried Possum on the Half Shell yet? I hear it is quite popular out that way.

No, west TX is famous for really good Mexican food and this grilled chicken that is my new favorite thing.

Fun fact: The song "Abilene", which I have been singing in my head since I made our RV park reservation, was written for Abilene, KS and not Abilene, TX. :kicksrocks:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
No, west TX is famous for really good Mexican food and this grilled chicken that is my new favorite thing.

Fun fact: The song "Abilene", which I have been singing in my head since I made our RV park reservation, was written for Abilene, KS and not Abilene, TX. :kicksrocks:

He ain't know Neil, that's for sure.

You're welcome for the ear worm.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why did all the drive-ins go away??? We really enjoyed the one last night. There was hardly anyone there and the owner said that's normal for Sunday, but Friday and Saturday he fills up. I get the impression that it's more a labor of love than a for profit business. $8 to get in, concession prices were reasonable. If I lived in Abilene I'd go to the drive-in every weekend.

Auntie Biache'

Why did all the drive-ins go away??? We really enjoyed the one last night. There was hardly anyone there and the owner said that's normal for Sunday, but Friday and Saturday he fills up. I get the impression that it's more a labor of love than a for profit business. $8 to get in, concession prices were reasonable. If I lived in Abilene I'd go to the drive-in every weekend.
They were taken over by flea markets.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They were taken over by flea markets.

The ones in Lincoln did flea markets on Saturday mornings and movies in the evening. In the mid 80s they all turned into strip malls and apartment complexes. :(

The racetrack in Hagerstown had movies on a blow-up screen on Friday and Saturday nights and that thing was always packed. Then they started doing night races and that was that.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I grew up as a kid, all through and past high school going to drive-in's. Moffett, Sunnyvale, Winchester, Capitol, Burlingame, just to name a few. Sister and I took our girls to their first drive in movie at Capitol in San Jose in 2014. They had such a great time.

glhs837

Power with Control
Heading down the Gulf Coast way? Swing into Boca Chica south of South Padre and you can watch a rocket being welded together right out in the clean air. .

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Why did all the drive-ins go away???
I have heard various theories, including rising land values and thus taxation, the advent of cable TV and VCRs, and the adoption of DST. I don't think it was just any one thing but series of changes over the years.

I often still think of the drive-in theater that was on 235 as I pass, even though it has been first a Lowe's and is now BAE Systems. Lots of memories there. There was also one in Prince Frederick which has since become the MVA Emissions Testing Center.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
We went to a drive in movie while vacationing in TN years ago. There is also one in GA near Blairsville. We were looking for areas to retire to and that was one of the "attractions" in that area.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
In 2017 there exist about 330 operating drive-in theaters in the United States, down from a peak of about 4,000 in the late 1950s.

1 drive in for every 1 million people living in the US.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I have heard various theories, including rising land values and thus taxation, the advent of cable TV and VCRs, and the adoption of DST. I don't think it was just any one thing but series of changes over the years.

I often still think of the drive-in theater that was on 235 as I pass, even though it has been first a Lowe's and is now BAE Systems. Lots of memories there. There was also one in Prince Frederick which has since become the MVA Emissions Testing Center.
I never went to the one in PF, but the last movie I saw at the 235 drive-in was Carrie. :twitch:

Monello

PREMO Member
Busy day today. Played some pickle ball, did about an hour of fruitless fishing, hit about 4 dozen golf balls into a net, then did a short dumbbell workout. This campground has a lot of options for things to do to keep you occupied.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We've been here since Friday and have not sat on one single barstool. It's annoying. I've been taking Nexium, so maybe this week I'll be able to belly up to a local dive bar.....

Other than the drive-in, we've just been enjoying the campground recreation and living life. It's been quite pleasant.

Monello

PREMO Member
And playing pickleball in the west Texas wind is an adventure all it's own. The gusts are hard core here. Vrai hit 1 shot that landed on my side, then proceeded to bounce up. The wind grabbed it and dropped it back down on her side of the net. They only have the 1 court here, but so far we are the only 2 people using it. Other than the kids at the jungle gym, none of the amenities get much use here.