Greetings from Branson, MO!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Branson has something for everyone, vacationwise.

Wanna go to shows and be entertained? ✅

Wanna do kid things, amusement parks, water parks, Ripleys/etc? ✅

Wanna eat, drink, and party? ✅

Wanna hike and boat and fish? ✅

We had a lovely day at Table Rock yesterday. The Taneycomo is right outside our RV door, but Table Rock is a bigger lake so it's worth the trip. Also Table Rock has no current so you can just paddle around without having to plan for it.

When I choose an RV park for us to land in, I try to split the difference between Monello's need for easy access fishing and my need for civilization. The one we're at now is pretty much perfect. Everything I need is within a couple miles - much of it I can walk to - and Monello can walk across the street and drop a line whenever he wants.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I had quite a few different boats, sail/power, been without one for about 25 years now. I keep getting the bug to get another, and then I remember how much I actually used it and how much I repeatedly invested in it. And then I sideline it again until the following early spring.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I had quite a few different boats, sail/power, been without one for about 25 years now. I keep getting the bug to get another, and then I remember how much I actually used it and how much I repeatedly invested in it. And then I sideline it again until the following early spring.
Why not just rent a boat for the day when you want to go out? I know it's a pain humping all your gear on and off. But in the long run no large cash outlay or no monthly payments, insurance, maintenance, etc.

Monello

PREMO Member
It's been drizzly here the last few days. I think it's remnants of the hurricane that hit Louisiana. ANyway, I was online yesterday looking at all things Branson. I saw a waterfront bar that is going to have an 80s rock band this weekend. So I told Vrai that we have plans for next Saturday. Since cabin fever was starting to creep into our household, she said, let's go check it out.

The place is located in a section called Indian Point. Not sure when the powers to be will make them change the name. It's located past all the commercial stuff on the main drag. We went past all the businesses then through a good stretch of just forest. Indian Point is located on Table Rock lake. Getting closer we saw a lot of vacation condos and businesses that cater to tourists. Bars, restaurants, rental homes, marinas, campgrounds and other various places to keep the tourists busy.

Parrot Pavillion tiki bar shares a space with a marina, hotel and restaurant. They cancelled the scheduled band yesterday because of the wet weather. Live music is popular there. The barkeep said that the virus has been a boom to business. They stayed open while other places closes so they got their overflow. We got a quick drink to check out the restaurant. It's a nice vacation complex with docks, swimming pool and peace & quiet among the trees.

We did some further research of the area. The Corps of Engineers has a primitive campground with a bunch of sites located among the trees. Vrai isn't a fan of the cinder block, prison style bath house, so we won't be making a reservation to stay there.

I would encourage anyone reading this to put Branson, MO on your vacation spot list. If it's too far a drive from SOMD, then heading to the greater Gatlinburg, TN area would be a suitable substitute. But much of Branson's appeal are it's lakes which G'burg is lacking. YMMV

The tiki bar is near the tennis courts covered up by the trees
cropped-RL-Header2.jpg

Last edited:

TPD

the poor dad
I would encourage anyone reading this to put Branson, MO on your vacation spot list. If it's too far a drive from SOMD, then heading to the greater Gatlinburg, TN area would be a suitable substitute. But much of Branson's appeal are it's lakes which G'burg is lacking. YMMV

I have been reading everything you two have been posting about Branson and have put it near the top of my list now. If my wife's employer did not have a limit of 150 miles on her travels, we would have been there by now. Thx for all the info!

Monello

PREMO Member
I have been reading everything you two have been posting about Branson and have put it near the top of my list now. If my wife's employer did not have a limit of 150 miles on her travels, we would have been there by now. Thx for all the info!
150 mile limit doesn't allow you to go too far.

The good thing about places like Panama City Beach, Myrtle Beach, Gatlinburg and Branson is that there are a ton of things to do. If you are with a group of people, you can find something that everyone enjoys. They are truly vacation destinations.

I know Vrai would agree, we hope that writing about our adventures encourages someone to go see somewhere new and exciting. We have an amazing country with so many varied places to visit. Hope to run into you someday out on the road.

Reactions: TPD

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I know Vrai would agree, we hope that writing about our adventures encourages someone to go see somewhere new and exciting.

Yep. That's the only reason I post these things, to encourage others to see the wonderful USA for themselves and maybe give them tips on how to do it. I know some people enjoy the "virtual vacation" but there's nothing like the real thing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have been reading everything you two have been posting about Branson and have put it near the top of my list now.

Branson is a bit of an unsung hero. It's not well known outside of the midwest, and even then it doesn't get the star treatment. But it's nice here and there's a ton of stuff to do and see. Big city liberals wouldn't like it one little bit, but if you're a normal person you'd be impressed.

Reactions: TPD

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My aunt was telling me about this place they ate when she and my other aunt were in Branson. Turned out she was talking about the Great American Steak and Chicken House.

This place sucked, btw. The food was clearly pre-fab off the truck. The lobster had been cooked hours, maybe months, before and kept in hot water to make them nice and waterlogged, draining every nuance of taste out of them. Crab legs, same.

The cobbler was pretty good but everything else wasn't worth the calories or wasting of appetite.

Monello

PREMO Member
Went for a float on the lake today. We went up lake a good bit. I brought my fishing gear. I ended up catching 14 trout. I found a honey hole and dropped anchor over it. I got 12 out of that spot in about 2 hours, just before sunset.

Monello

PREMO Member
We had an unusual string of events last night that actually worked out in our favor. Here's the story.

We went shopping just before dark last night. Prior to that, Vrai had disassembled her boat. I'm hoping to get out 1 more time before we leave. She did all the work in the empty site right next to us.

By the time we got back, after dark, someone had come in and was setting up next to us. I prefer it stay empty because it feels more open when nobody is there. ANyway those people were setting up in the dark. Time goes by. The neighbor parks his truck in front of his rig. He left the front tires turned outward, instead of returning them to a straighter angle.

We are watching TV, when I see another rig coming down the road. I mention that it's kind of late to be rolling in now. Then the RV turns and I see the neighbor's truck shake. The later arriving RV has clipped the other guy's truck. Good thing the guy was driving slow. No damage but there was no way he was getting into that spot the way he was driving.

Late driver then detaches his tow vehicle and moves the tow dolly out of the way. Vrai moves her car closer to our RV. New guy gets settled in.

Here's the rub. If our neighbors didn't park where they did, the new arrival would have ended up hitting Vrai's car. Our neighbor did us a huge favor by going into that spot. Otherwise he was on a trajectory to take out the driver side of the Rav4. Why he didn't have his copilot go out and spot for him isn't clear. But it would have saved that guy the embarrassment of telling the neighbor he hit his tire. Speaking of neighbor, he was lucky the tire was out a bit or else the new rig could have damaged his truck.

Life in the campground. It's mostly boring with a few moments of excitement.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They should have detached on the straightaway before pulling into their spot. Not sure why they thought they'd be able whip right in with the narrow road and towing, with vehicles parked on the shoulder.

Anyway, it is my policy to arrange things so we don't arrive after dark. Pulling into a strange RV park is uncertain enough without trying to do it when you can't even see what you're doing. Plus hooking up in the dark just sucks.

I'm thankful that guy didn't hit my car and screw up my new paint job.

1stGenSMIB

Same with boats. We try to never enter an unknown harbor at night! I was crew on a boat that did it once (after a 36 hour delivery from Cape May, NJ to Great Salt Point @ Block Island). Even with charts and GPS of the 90's we almost screwed things up big time with the large rock jetty at the entrance. On my boat, we just plan accordingly to get there in daylight. There are lots of places I am familiar enough with I'd do in the dark, but unknown harbors, nope.
As for the 'thanks for posting these', I have some older friends that just sold their boat and bought an RV. My Dad sold me his boat and is still RV-ing in his 80's. I love boats and boating and sailing, but there are a lot of places you cannot get to by boat. Not sure if an RV is in my future, but I don't plan to retire to my front porch, that's for damn sure, so thanks and keep it up!

Last edited:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Anyway, it is my policy to arrange things so we don't arrive after dark.
I do that too, now. When I was young, stupid, it was normal to hit the road immediately after work and arrive in the dark. And then when you get up the next morning and see what your tent and campsite look like.... :eyebrow:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
As for the 'thanks for posting these', I have some older friends that just sold their boat and bought an RV. My Dad sold me his boat and is still RV-ing in his 80's. I love boats and boating and sailing, but there are a lot of places you cannot get to by boat. Not sure if an RV is in my future, but I don't plan to retire to my front porch, that's for damn sure, so thanks and keep it up!

This couple I follow on Twitter started out in a houseboat, then one too many storms convinced them an RV was the way to go. They had some great adventures but started giving me, a stranger on the internet, anxiety attacks with all the perils they encountered.

We see people full timing in everything from half a million $$$ rock star buses to little teardrops.