Greetings from Burleson, TX!

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Yesterday was just our 3rd driving day in 2020. Our route from New Braunfels took us through Austin & Waco. Sunday protesters shut down a section of I35 in downtown Austin. I was concerned that we might get caught up in all that nonsense. We finally headed out around noon after a final Buc-ees stop. 40 minutes later on the south end of Austin, traffic started slowing to a crawl. I had the local radio on but they didn't mention any civic issues. I'm happy to report that the traffic slowdown was momentary. Austin had a bit of looting Sunday evening. Many of the out of state people that relocate to the Austin area. They bring their nanny state, criminal coddling attitudes with them. It ends up that Austin isn't really like the rest of Texas as far as things like the 2nd amendment and personal responsibility. If your idea of a good time is drinking a hoppy draft beer while eating a vegan burger and singing kumbaya, then Austin is your city.

A little over 200 miles later I pulled into the parking area when I saw the sign for the campground. But I actually pulled into the area for the water park that is located right next door. The campground is past the sign, hidden by the trees. This is 1 of the larger places that we've stayed. There are over 500 RV sites and their map shows another area under development so they can cram more people in here. There's roughly 80 cabins available for rent. This place must be a mad house on the 4th of July weekend.

As far as amenities, this place has more things to do than just about every other place we've visited. If you are bored here, there is something wrong with you. There is a train, which is actually a few flatbed trailers pulled around that serves as a sort of campground shuttle. Along with the normal things like pool, laundry, dog park, bath houses, this campground has an ice cream parlor, an impressive camp store, a fishing lake, various playgrounds, golf cart rentals, a stage, several halls, horse shoe pits, basketball, volley ball, tether ball, climbing wall, hiking, activity shack, game room, gem mining, laser tag, paintball, and a big inflated mat for kids to jump on. If you are a you kids get off my lawn type of person, this isn't the place for you.

I've already caught 4 fish. I saw someone in a bear costume being driven around in a golf cart. The park signs say to not feed the bears.

So we have 9 more days here. I'm sure we will enjoy it.

Campground promo

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I like it here! It's woodsy and rustic. Our NB joint was a resort and very civilized, but this campground is what most people think about when you talk about camping. Very kidsy.

I'm surprised at the difference between Burleson (a suburb of Fort Worth) and New Braunfels. More masks here, more closings, more people with darting paranoid eyes. Not at the campground itself, but in the grocery store etc. I'm surprised to see that in Fort Worth. Dallas, sure, but FW is Dallas' cowboy brother who sneers at his yuppie pretensions. Or so I thought.

Needless to say, Fort Worth isn't going on the shortlist.

But we'll enjoy our week and a half here anyway. Plenty to do, and they have important things like lighted pathways so I can walk the dog at night.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
One of the best thing about being a homeless vagabond is not having to choose a permanent environment. I love the beach, and I also love the mountains, and I love a posh resort and I love a rustic wooded retreat. I love being surrounded by adults and I also love watching the kiddos have fun.

This is not an ideal life for someone who dislikes change, but I get bored easily so it's perfect for me.

Today I'm out bike shopping. Audrey has been left out in the rain and the wind has blown her over, so she needs some work. I was going to take her in and have her rehabbed but then I did some number crunching. By the time we do parts and labor we're talking $150+- , and for a bit more than that I could just buy a new bike. Audrey cost like $500 and that was a dumb move on my part because I'm a very casual rider - zipping around the campgrounds, the occasional ride in the park. I don't need a Jamis for that; a Schwinn will do. Also I don't have a garage to store a nice bike to keep it out of the elements.

This is an expensive campground - $70 a night. If they have a decent monthly rate I'd come back here for a longer period. Ten days here is more than our whole month at Branson Lake. Whenever someone asks me how much does it cost to live on the road, I don't have an answer because it can either be super economical or it can be outrageous.

Monello

PREMO Member
I think Vraiblonde found her next work camper position. She wants to dress up in this and be driven around the campground.

Monello

PREMO Member
Yesterday we took a bike ride around the entire campground. We found a newer section that we didn't see before. That's just how big this place is. The new section is all cement slab sites. They have trees but they were all recently planted, so they don't provide any shade yet. Those rigs sit in the broiling sun all day. Meanwhile we are in our gravel site under several shade trees. It's only blazing how when you are in the direct sun. Yesterday I fished for about an hour. I tried as much as I could to stand under the trees along the lake. Even though there were a few clouds, the sun will cook your skin in no time flat. I did manage to get 2 fish. It's not the most productive lake. It gets a lot of fishing pressure. On my drive around town today, I found a different lake I may try my luck at later.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yesterday I went bike shopping, and to my surprise Academy was completely devoid of bicycles in the bike section. I asked the guy and he said that they were selling out as fast as they could get them in with no explanation as to why.

Turns out that bikes are one of the hot COVID sellers for some reason. Add to that many of them are made in China and the supply chain is wack, and now there is a shortage of bicycles, of all things.

HOWEVER! I ran by Walmart for a second opinion and they had one single adult bike left in stock.....and it happened to be the exact bike I was looking for.

This in pastel yellow. The only thing I don't like is that the seat is uncomfortable, but that's easy to fix.

There are a number of cute historic towns around the DFW area that I'd like to see. Monello just got a new laptop and that will consume him for today, but tomorrow and Sunday I want to go on walkabout.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Today we went on walkabout to Ennis and Mansfield, two little towns about a half hour from here. Mansfield is super cute with a great Main Street and a real community feel. Ennis is less cute but still had a solid small downtown where we sat at a rooftop restaurant and had lunch.

Ennis was holding a BLM protest, which consisted of them blocking off a side street down by their art district so people could gather. I'm not sure if they were praying or just having a moment of silence or what but we stood there for several minutes and everyone was just kneeling silently, so we left.

This campground is overrun with children for the weekend. My only complaint about them is that they leave the bath house a disaster and apparently haven't learned how to flush a toilet. But they're having a blast and making memories, so that's cool.

Tomorrow we're going to Plano and McKinney to see what they have going on.

Monello

PREMO Member
Sunday was spent walking around historic Burleson downtown. They have a few 100 + year old buildings. It seems the railroad played an important part of their early town history.

We saw a few signs that said Burleson Strong. Whenever we've seen the strong signs in the past, that area had some sort of calamity take place. The Florida Keys had Irma Strong after their hurricane. Boston had Boston Strong after the marathon bombing. I asked a few locals and they said it was in response to the Wuhan virus. Not some sort of localized event.

They also saw that we had a camera with us. They inquired as to what exactly we were taking photos of. We told them their cute town. Turns out they were 2 brothers and are quite happy living in sleepy Burleson.

Here's a few pics of Burleson's sights.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A person could be very happy living here.It's a nice little town with nice people and a lot of opportunity.